Lavoiser (1 Viewer)

toe

In 1776, the Frenchman Antoine Lavoisier discovered that many compounds with oxygen (non-metallic oxides) developed acidic properties in solution. He defined an acid as a non-metal compound containing hydrogen.

is there anything wrong with this statement? i got these from a set of notes and i found it somewhere else as well. didnt he define it as a non-meta oxide containing OXYGEN?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Yes, there is something wrong with the statement. It is false. You are quite correct in identifying the error, as the last word of the statement should definitely be oxygen.

In fact, Lavoisier actually named the element oxygen, and its name derives from two greek words, and means 'acid maker'. As a result, his incorrect definition of acids as oxygen containing non-metal compounds has been immortalised on the periodic table.

It was Davy who provided hydrochloric acid as a counter-example to Lavoisier's defintion, and went on to identify hydrogen as the crucial element for acidity.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
yeah its oxygen as CM_knows all points out

i hope they weren't my notes;) i have lots of mistakes like those in my notes hehe. due to *typos

toe

thnx to the both of u. i thought i was right . just needed to double check

bernard888

HSC
would you help me in my problem????im a 3rd yr. student..and im willing to know his story(life)...may you give to me his biography???plsss...do help...im wiling to be your new friend....plsss.help

Kujah

HSC
N/A
The last post was in 2004...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)