Law and society question- mental blank (1 Viewer)

*Baby-K*

HSC
Discuss how an individual's access to legal remedies may be limited? (5 marks):eek:

Edit: I am doing sample questions, another one is:

Define and distinguish between the role of the Security Council and the General Assembly in protecting human rights.

Do you think we will be asked something like that in the exam?

Last edited:

copperearth27

HSC
Discuss how an individual's access to legal remedies may be limited? (5 marks):eek:

Well just off the top of my head an individuals acces my be limited by their economic situation in which they may not be able to get legal representation and as such may have less access to services and understanding of what is going on. this problem is addressed by the implemention of legal aid which is subject to a means and merit test.
another way is through cultural or lingustic incompatabilities where they may not be able to understand what is going on or the procedures which are occuring. there are many people such as translators and volunteers who aim to bridge the gap between this issue.

Define and distinguish between the role of the Security Council and the General Assembly in protecting human rights.

the security council consists of 5 permanent members who decide what is the best action to take in promoting world order. they organise peacekeeping missions and decide whether un troops will be sent in because a fundamental human right is being breached.
the general assembly is the main body of the un where all countries can use as a forum to discuss world issues. it is the place where treaties and agreements are formed such as the twin covenants on civil and political rights (1966) and Economic, social and cultural rights (1976).

thats a very general overview of what you wuld need, mabye more examples for the second question. i dont think they would ask something as specific as the second one but they can so id still prepare for it, if you dont know just pull something general out of your ass and you will still get a few marks.

oth16

HSC
copperearth27 said:

Well just off the top of my head an individuals acces my be limited by their economic situation in which they may not be able to get legal representation and as such may have less access to services and understanding of what is going on. this problem is addressed by the implemention of legal aid which is subject to a means and merit test.
another way is through cultural or lingustic incompatabilities where they may not be able to understand what is going on or the procedures which are occuring. there are many people such as translators and volunteers who aim to bridge the gap between this issue.
You could add case law to this & support ur answer by saying
Dietrich v The Queen established that if an individual is incapable of recieving a fair trial without representation they may be granted it (e.g. legal aid) .. or something like that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)