Law at Macquarie? (1 Viewer)

gem19

HSC
Hi,

Im looking into applying for the Global Leadership Entry Program at Macquarie University for session one 2016.
Is the Law department at Macquarie regarded as good?
I have heard mixed things about the university itself but could I have an opinion from a current student?

Thanks!

remlaw83

HSC
I'm in my final year of Law at Macquarie and I have found it very good. I have also done the GLP for my entire degree and frankly have not found it very useful, however I have not sought to capitalise on it.

Your uni degree will really be what you make of it. Whether you have a degree from Sydney, Macquarie or ANU, no law degree will be a stroll straight into a job.

Macquarie has been perfect for me because I wanted to go on exchange and I sought a well-regarded degree. I have now been on exchange twice and have found my degree to be an asset. It has given me the ability to gain work experience through practical units and I find that in my final years I have had little face to face university time, so I can work more and undertake internships during semester.

Due to exchange I have met phenomenal professors who have given me references that stand me in good stead as well.

All in all, whatever university degree you obtain will open doors to something more, and it is up to you to take the opportunities that come your way.

I can highly recommend Macquarie if you want a university with flexibility, opportunity and lots of financial support for exchange. It's also worth considering what you want your other degree to be, and looking at law electives.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
unsw master race.

i know a person who transferred from mac to unsw, she said unsw was much more superior.

gem19

HSC
I'm in my final year of Law at Macquarie and I have found it very good. I have also done the GLP for my entire degree and frankly have not found it very useful, however I have not sought to capitalise on it.

Your uni degree will really be what you make of it. Whether you have a degree from Sydney, Macquarie or ANU, no law degree will be a stroll straight into a job.

Macquarie has been perfect for me because I wanted to go on exchange and I sought a well-regarded degree. I have now been on exchange twice and have found my degree to be an asset. It has given me the ability to gain work experience through practical units and I find that in my final years I have had little face to face university time, so I can work more and undertake internships during semester.

Due to exchange I have met phenomenal professors who have given me references that stand me in good stead as well.

All in all, whatever university degree you obtain will open doors to something more, and it is up to you to take the opportunities that come your way.

I can highly recommend Macquarie if you want a university with flexibility, opportunity and lots of financial support for exchange. It's also worth considering what you want your other degree to be, and looking at law electives.

Hi, yeah i'm really interested in doing some sort of exchange! Where did you go on exchange to and for how long? Did it credit for any of your courses here or did it add on time to your degree?

remlaw83

HSC
Hi, yeah i'm really interested in doing some sort of exchange! Where did you go on exchange to and for how long? Did it credit for any of your courses here or did it add on time to your degree?
I went on a six week exchange to Russia as part of my Arts degree and I did a semester exchange to Canada as part of law. Both exchanges were for full credit and the Russian one was during a holiday period so it in fact made the following semester a lighter load.

I cannot speak highly enough of exchange. My semester exchange exposed me to amazing professors and courses that have shaped where I went to head after university. I also took part in a student legal assistance program that meant I appeared in Court and negotiated with Crown Prosecutors, which you cannot do in Australia.

I have also met wonderful people from across the world who I still keep in contact with and will visit next year.

MQ gives really large grants (up to $5,000) exchange. I took a grant for each trip. Plus you can take out two OS HELP loan (around $6,500 at the moment). Exchange is very doable and highly encouraged at MQ.

HSChelpneeded

HSC
Hey, I have a quick question. in terms of exchange to a country, .Would the uni start training you for the language beforehand? I assume you would also have been already studying the language but I just want to kmow if they put more emphasis on being able to communicate once they know u intend to go study overseas...
Also, is 1 year very long for overseas? because for my course, it is compulsory one year....im a bit nervous about that AND also LAST QUESTION in the country u go to, they do start of speaking english/going easy on you right? im terrified you go there and they're speaking full on and you dont understand anything...i can't imagine for e.g. studying my commerce degree in german......

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED, i have a few months till i need to decide to apply

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
Hey, I have a quick question. in terms of exchange to a country, .Would the uni start training you for the language beforehand? I assume you would also have been already studying the language but I just want to kmow if they put more emphasis on being able to communicate once they know u intend to go study overseas...
Also, is 1 year very long for overseas? because for my course, it is compulsory one year....im a bit nervous about that AND also LAST QUESTION in the country u go to, they do start of speaking english/going easy on you right? im terrified you go there and they're speaking full on and you dont understand anything...i can't imagine for e.g. studying my commerce degree in german......

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED, i have a few months till i need to decide to apply
When you look at the partner directory, it gives you a list of universities and whether their course is taught in English or another language. Most of them are in English, even in countries where English isn't the main language. If the course isn't in English, they will specify and I'm assuming you would need to learn enough of the language to be able to understand the course. But you could always just take a language unit before going :)

Verify

HSC
For law or commerce at Macquarie at what year do you usually go on exchange?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)