law at Newcastle? (1 Viewer)

poopoohead

HSC
hi I finished HSC and applying for law at newcastle for either 2007 or 2008. i just have no idea what to combine law with. Im trying do decide this based on my interests as well as career opportunities. I just have a few questions

I like science so I was thinking of doing Science/law- with a major in psychology, chemistry or earth sciences.

earth sciences: cos i dunno i think im interested in environmental studies area
chemistry cos i liked chem for HSC
psycology cos it would be interesting

1. but i noticed that u can do psychology in arts and social science as well as science- is there any difference?

2. and whats the go with Science(forensics)/law? its not offered any more hey? cos i reckon that would be heaps interesting. Why isnt it offered any more?

If I wanted to do an arts degree- i was thinking of maybe majoring in Japanese cos i did japanese in yr 9 and 10 and loved it. (was heaps cut that it wasnt offered in yr 11)- but what would be the career opportunities for this? i suppose I could always work in Japan. lol

I just dont know. i imagine something like philosophy would be heaps interesting but yeah i wouldnt see the purpose in combining it with law

can someone share their thoughts and opinions? someone who is doing law at Newcastle (or even elsewhere)- what do u study in ur other degree?

thank you:)

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Don't know anything about Psychology, but the B Science (Forensic)/B Laws course is no longer offered because it didn't have enough students each year (there are 16 in our current year). The Science/Law combination is a fair bit of work (a lot of people, myself included, find the Science component to be significantly harder than Law) but there are a lot of areas you could cover in the Science degree (Chemistry, Psychology, etc.).

cool_bananas25

HSC
Hi I just finished 2nd year Arts/Law and I think i can answer your questions.

No there is no difference in the subjects you have to do to get a pysc major in either arts/science or social science degree. But im pretty sure science has some required bio and chem courses you have to do in the first year, whereas arts doesnt. But one thing thats in the fine print, YOU CANNOT BECOME AN ACCREDITED PSYCHOLOGIST just by doing the three years of a psyc major- double degree students dont do enough units to meet the APA(australian psychological association) criteria. So if you wanted that nice little APA placard and accreditation be prepared to do another year of Psyc honours at least!!

Arts is a very open degree, but choose your majors wisely because if u do want to change majors (as I did) you will have to do some catch up courses, i.e. If you change one major at the end of first semester in your first year, the next semester you will have to do 5 subjects instead of 4 to complete the double degree in the 5 year timeframe. Be prepared in an arts degree for lots of reading and essay writing and be willing to discuss topics in class- otherwise you will fall asleep.

Learning a language is always a very positive step, however as the law is not the same in every country, learning japanese may not be as of great use to you as it would be for say a business student planning to be a CEO of an international company. It could however be handy if you intended to work for an embassy or consulate or government agency. Rather than japanese, why not do the cross cultural communication major- that way you can do some sign language, learn about aboriginal culture and communication and do a few japanese classes too.

Another diff between science and arts is the number of hours u will spend at uni. The average law/arts student in first year goes to uni about 12-15 hours a week. Science/law kiddies are there 30+ hours a week with all the labs etc etc. Science is alot harder and unless you really want to pursue a career that involves both science and law, your time at uni is going to be a lot more strenuous than it has to be.

From what i hear, what you do in your other degree will have VERY VERY VERY little bearing on your life as a lawyer and/or your chance for employment. I know a boy who did forensics/law and graduated this year, who managed to get a job with a HUGE and very well known Law firm in Sydney in the taxation law department.

If you definately want to be a lawyer, Id probably say choose your 2nd degree as the one that you will enjoy and dont have to worry too much about. If you aren't completely sure, choose a degree that will open your eyes a little to what else is out there. My arts degree certainly did, and thats why Im now changing to education. I realised that my perception of a lawyer and law school was glorified and that what i really would enjoy was a life as a teacher, letting students know about their legal rights, about human rights and trying to educate our future on how to live sustainably :)

poopoohead

HSC
i deffered for this year. decided to do a gap year. Might look at maybe getting some work experience in a law firm or something. i dunno.

im pretty sure i want to do Science(psychology)/Law in 2008. But I do have a whole year to decide. I dont think im ready to go back to study, especialy since its a combined degree. i just hope I dont get bored, seeing as all my friends are going to uni this year

axie

HSC
N/A
Watch that gap year. I've seen so many people struggle to return after taking a break. I would recommend going part time instead of taking a year off ... even if its just 10 units per semester, it keeps you in the groove.

All enrolled for grad law ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)