Law at UQ or Murdoch? (1 Viewer)

Carbuncle

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

This is my first post so if I do say something wrong please forgive this newbie yea?

I will be taking up a law degree at either of the 2 universities if all goes well.

Will anyone be able to comment on the differences, if any, between the 2 unis in terms of the strengths of the LLB program, rankings of the universities and employability by the larger law firms in Australia?

Any additional comments and advice is very much appreciated. :)

Thanks everyone!

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Perfectly sensible question :)

Personally I don't really know enough about each university to compare the two.

Carbuncle

HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
Perfectly sensible question :)

Personally I don't really know enough about each university to compare the two.
Thanks for looking in on this thread :)

I noticed you are in the LLB program over at UNSW. Could you be kind enough shed some light as to whether the law firms in and around NSW/Sydney have any preferences for law grads from certain universities?

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
I'd pick UQ over Murdoch (isn't murdoch in WA?). Beautiful campus, established law school alumni and reputation.

Their law building doesn't look like a teletubby turd. They probably have a useful law library.

phrred

HSC
Murdoch law= UNSW law?
dont think so- UNSW is recognised as one of the top 3 law schools in Aus

UQ is much more presitigious than Murdoch and its in the Group of 8- so ranking wise UQ is much much better

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
slively03 said:
I don't think they can hire someone on such an unquantifiable thing as the status of the school you went to. We do live in a meritocracy.
it's not that they will hire you solely on the basis of your graduating from X University, but rather, 'ceteris paribus'...

if we live in a 'true' meritocracy, without inherent biases of the system, there should be more than 50% of female partners in big law firms..

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
slively03 said:
Who determines these rankings?
What key competencies are they based on?

It's rather amusing how some students appear to be an authority on the hiring criteria of larger commercial law firms in Australia.
pretty heavy stuff coming from a first year trying to defend his choice of university. but are you not trying to suggest 'meritocracy' is a hiring criterion? are you not trying to convince us of this, trying to be an 'authority' on the matter?

they are not 'rankings'. it is that, all other things being equal, certain universities are seen more favourably by employers than others.

if status counts for nothing, then compare the sponsorship list of Go8 law student society and that of so-called lower-tier universities. why would a firm want to dump so much marketing on a Go8 (UNSW lawsoc sponsorship packages are about $10K each), when the number of potential candidates is the same?

phrred

HSC
Large firms target Gof8 universities because of their reputations and their success at attracting the brightest students in the country

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
slively03 said:
Large firms also target Murdoch university. I already mentioned this.

I'm getting sick of this. I initially just wanted to say Murdoch is a good school, and I believe this to be so.

Since none of you have really been to Murdoch before, you can't comment on the matter.

Best of luck, and i hope you make the best decision for your needs.
I'm sure it's just fine.

It all depends on the ability and ambition of the individual student. Law schools with reputation tend to attract more highly capable students.

So best of luck to you as there's a long road ahead.

Rorix

HSC
Its pretty straight forward really.

The top schools have better quality students on average, either be it because the students were of higher quality coming in [higher UAI requirements etc.], better teachers, a better peer group assisting faster learning, better resources - whatever you choose to believe is the reason. Building a firm profile at a top school gives a firm better value for money in recruiting.

Sure, there are people who could have gone to e.g, UNSW or USYD but chose to go to UWS for a scholarship/closer to home/whatever, but there are just as many if not more people trying to leave UWS and get into UNSW/USYD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)