Law at which uni - conflicting info (1 Viewer)

slowjam10

HSC
Hey, i was jsut wondering which university is recommened within NSW Law. My teachers say that Macquarie is definetely the best becuase Sydney is way too conservative. But i dont know my school does tend to dumb people down, they think that nobody will ever make something of themselves and there'yre probably just basing that on previous students and where they have ended up. But anyways, is Macq really the best. Im interested in Doing Arts/Law, Arts-Psychology/Law or Commerce/Law. I would probably enjoy the arts side more but the career options seem better with commerce.

Anyway does prestige really matter, I mean people from Macq still have as many opportunities as those from Sydney. I mean waht would be beter doing Arts and transfering into arts/law, or doing both sepertaely at USYD or doing straight arts/law at Macq?

Thanks for your imput, in advance:):):):)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
This gets asked a lot so forgive me if I am a bit brief.

My personal opinion is, all else being equal, if you're going to do Arts/Law, goto USyd. If you're going to do Com/Law, goto UNSW. But there are other factors to be considered. USyd has a slight edge in prestige in law, so if you only want to do law to become a lawyer, USyd has that small advantage. But then again UNSW commerce is pretty much the most prestigious overall commerce program in NSW, so if you want to do something in business, consider UNSW.

In answer to your question, without a doubt USyd and UNSW are recognised as the most prestigious universities in NSW for law.

That said there are plenty of other good law schools and MQ is one of them.

slowjam10

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
This gets asked a lot so forgive me if I am a bit brief.

My personal opinion is, all else being equal, if you're going to do Arts/Law, goto USyd. If you're going to do Com/Law, goto UNSW. But there are other factors to be considered. USyd has a slight edge in prestige in law, so if you only want to do law to become a lawyer, USyd has that small advantage. But then again UNSW commerce is pretty much the most prestigious overall commerce program in NSW, so if you want to do something in business, consider UNSW.

In answer to your question, without a doubt USyd and UNSW are recognised as the most prestigious universities in NSW for law.

That said there are plenty of other good law schools and MQ is one of them.
So Moonlight Sonata what are you majoring in you BA. Just curious:)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I majored in Philosophy :p

With regard to whether you should transfer from Arts or whatever, it depends on what your chances of transferring are. This depends on your UAI and university grades and where you want to transfer to. The law guide has it detailed here.

Rorix

HSC
Sydney Law School has a lot of problems, but dont go outside USYD/UNSW unless you cant help it.

Rorix

HSC
Biggest problem Ive heard with SLS is that it is devoid in commercial law subjects...the faculty has been trying to bring Faculty of Business lectures (commercial law) to SLS for ages but since the commerce faculty pays more, they can't get anyone (and SLS refuses to pay a loading since they consider the 'honour' of working for SLS to make up for the reduced salary)

phrred

HSC
UNSW and USYD are top tier
macq and uts r mid tier

usyd has the longest history and most distinguished alumni (sort of correlated)

unsw teaching got ranked #1 by the government and is usually considered on par or arguably better than sydney but less prestigious.

however, i think the student quality at usyd would be better. at unsw, due to all the com/laws, they do law for the prestige and the perceived image law=money after graudation and not because they have an interest in law, whereas students at sydney, i believe, would have a greater interest in law.

most boys from my school with an interest in law went to sydney to do arts/law and most of the rich asians went to unsw to do com/law

thats just my opinion, im open to flaming :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
phrred said:
however, i think the student quality at usyd would be better. at unsw, due to all the com/laws, they do law for the prestige and the perceived image law=money after graudation and not because they have an interest in law, whereas students at sydney, i believe, would have a greater interest in law.
perhaps it can be said, with a greater inclination towards B.Com/LLB at UNSW, our graduates are more commercially-aware and make better business lawyers? :p

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Personally I don't think there's any real difference between USYD and UNSW. The only draws are cosmetic or largely irrelevant now that UNSW is getting an honours program. UNSW has a nice new law faculty, but travelling times will probably be longer for you. Usyd is closer, but unfortunately Rorix goes there.

So there's good and bad.

Rorix

HSC
well neo if they steer clear of the changing room showers and Queerspace, they shouldnt have any run ins with me.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I used to try and figure out the ranking of the law schools and in the end just got more and more confused. I am liking mac a lot at the moment much more than UWS. Don't get me wrong UWS was a great starting point and allowed me to do law from the outset but I find Mac's facilities and the calibre of students to be much better. So just see what happens, transfer if you can if you don't happen to like the law school you get it to, if you cant work hard, make the best of it and see what happens, you never know it might serve you well.

One thing about mac, really enjoying the fact I can do extra curricular mooting! At UWS it was only used as assessment!

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Rorix said:
well neo if they steer clear of the changing room showers and Queerspace, they shouldnt have any run ins with me.
You hang out in Queerspace???

Rorix

HSC
Long time no see neo:)

On the topic, imo you really should go to USYD/UNSW if possible for the pure and simple prestige factor and also since USYD/UNSW law has higher UAIs its likely to have a better peer group, better alumni etc. Of course if you can only go to MACQ/UTS/UWS/other because you cant get into HECS and cant afford full fee then thats the way it is and you just have to do your best. Undoubtably there are great students at every university but one would expect the top 2 to have the highest proportion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)