Law Clerks (1 Viewer)

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Hey guys
I'm looking at applying for a job as a casual law clerk, except i'm not exactly sure being a law clerk would entail?
Does anyone know exacly what law clerks do?
Thanks

X

xeuyrawp

MissSavage29 said:
Hey guys
I'm looking at applying for a job as a casual law clerk, except i'm not exactly sure being a law clerk would entail?
Thanks
Let's just get this straight. You want to be a casual law cleark. You don't know what law clerks actually do. Correct?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MissSavage29 said:
Hey guys
Thanks
you kick shit and do menial administrative work (filing, court-filing, photocopying, dictaphoning, buying coffees, collecting boss' laundry from drycleaner etc).

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I've been looking for these kind of jobs for part time will no success. If you look these kind of jobs on seek, the majority are full time or have requirements (e.g so many years studying law, experience etc) they also list the kinds of things you would be doing.

Usually just filing, photcopying, getting coffee and anything else the boss doesnt want to do...

Good luck :)

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Let's just get this straight. You want to be a casual law cleark. You don't know what law clerks actually do. Correct?
lol

She could have said gynecologist. That would have been awkward

= Jennifer =

HSC
Law Clerk
Law clerks perform a variety of legal tasks under the supervision of solicitors, barristers or clerks of court. Law clerks may assist their employers in all areas of law, including probate (proving the validity of wills), conveyancing (dealings in land and property), criminal law, family law, company law and civil litigation.

Law clerks may perform the following tasks:
  • search land titles to check details such as property boundaries and ownership of the property
  • attend settlements for the purchase or sale of land
  • examine contracts and obtain information about contracts so that solicitors can proceed with finalisation
  • fill out legal forms and lodge them with government offices, interview clients and draft clauses for contracts
  • undertake company, business name, bankruptcy and other searches
  • help maintain bookkeeping records
  • prepare statements of evidence by witnesses and briefing papers for use by barristers (this happens when a solicitor's client has to go to court)
  • assist clients by providing information on legal processes
  • assist prosecuting or defence lawyers in court and arrange for the attendance of witnesses at court
  • brief witnesses and take notes of evidence
  • assist barristers and senior counsel with case management.
Personal Requirements:
enjoy the law
a good knowledge of English
accuracy and precision
able to think logically and clearly.

_Alfie_

HSC
i.e. a class of slaves that are abused and exploited by law firms.

HSC
For some reason, I thought Moonlight Sonata was white too, just from the message boards....lol :S

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I had a vague idea but i wasn't 100% sure so i figgure it was better to find out before i applied for the job then afterwards.

Jonathan A

HSC
Clerks do a whole range of things, depending on the firm, whether you are working for a barrister or solicitor, etc...

It can get as simple as photocopying or serving legal documents or something more complicated such as legal research, contacting clients or witnesses and compiling and commenting on a brief of evidence (especiall where there are boxes of evidence).

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
The paralegal/clerkship merry-go-round bores me.

I'm thinking of going off to Cornell or Berkeley to do a PhD in US history instead. When I can afford it. Which will probably be never. Because American education is expensive. And my 5-word sentences suck. I could take my soul. And sell it to Mallesons. Could I then afford it?

Edit: and I thought MS was a white Northern Beaches chap, too. This is just like finding out Santa actually uses sweatshop labour.

prosaic

HSC
ManlyChief said:
The paralegal/clerkship merry-go-round bores me.

I'm thinking of going off to Cornell or Berkeley to do a PhD in US history instead. When I can afford it. Which will probably be never. Because American education is expensive. And my 5-word sentences suck. I could take my soul. And sell it to Mallesons. Could I then afford it?

I thought the fulbright scholarship covers full tuition fees AND expenses to Aus/US students who want to study either North American or Australian history. Don't know if that's the sort of history you want, or who knows maybe you can do one of these subjects or something. But heard the scholarship's a pretty good deal.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
prosaic said:
I thought the fulbright scholarship covers full tuition fees AND expenses to Aus/US students who want to study either North American or Australian history. Don't know if that's the sort of history you want, or who knows maybe you can do one of these subjects or something. But heard the scholarship's a pretty good deal.
I thought the Fulbrights covered at most a 12-month period to complete a PhD in the US ... I actually want to do an entire PhD there :(

Perhaps I could sell my soul to Mallesons (or Freehills), earn some money, make a few wise investments in Idaho potatos, get enough $$$$s to buy my soul back and get to the US ...

prosaic

HSC
hmmm...I was sure extensions of scholarships could be granted on satisfactory performance. Perhaps I have my facts wrong, but am quite certain that the woman at the US consulate of whom I inquired about US scholarships mentioned that there is (at least) one scholarship to cover all your post-grad studies. So yes, am sure that my last post contains substantial truth, at least. Have u been in to the consulate yet? The help one gets from there is much more...helpful, for lack of a better word, than from those dodgy 'study overseas' info days (with cheap folding tables and disposable tablecloths), in mine and a few other friends' experience.

BUT, it sounds like u have ur heart set on selling your soul to Mallesons. In that case, it'd be quite a futile exercise to try and dissuade u anyway. Ah well, perhaps you'll make MORE than what the studies will cost, and that'll make the soul-sale totally worth it, in my hedonistic opinion.

Last edited:

= Jennifer =

HSC
i recently learned there are two types of law clerk internal and external

internal- do photocopying, scanning, and all other admin stuff mentioned in a post i did earlier in this thread

external- do the run arounds in the city such as document deliveries and shopping for coffee etc

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
= Jennifer = said:
internal- do photocopying, scanning, and all other admin stuff mentioned in a post i did earlier in this thread

external- do the run arounds in the city such as document deliveries and shopping for coffee etc
and then you've got the dual-mode shitkickers like yours truly, who has to suffer the horrors of endless internal document management, only to be called out impromptu by his boss (who just came back from skiing in aspen) to visit the latter's home (in leafy northbridge, i might add) by taxi and fix his computer (replace keyboard, boot window 98).

L

LaraB

Frigid said:
and then you've got the dual-mode shitkickers like yours truly, who has to suffer the horrors of endless internal document management, only to be called out impromptu by his boss (who just came back from skiing in aspen) to visit the latter's home (in leafy northbridge, i might add) by taxi and fix his computer (replace keyboard, boot window 98).
im glad my bosses are nice:)

the solicitors i work for send me on all those errand things n that shit but i get given a car if its more than a 5 minutues walk lol and money to buy coffee:p... probably helps though that most the stuff that has to be sent out is done by the mail room peoples:) i'm on castlereagh street n furthest i ever have to go is elizabeth street coz most the barristers' chambers are nice and close or just get stuff delivered with all the other DX stuff by the mail people

its a bitch when you're in uncomfortable heels in the rain trying not to get affidavits wet though lol:p

jonathan__

HSC
umm..let's cut to the chase and yeh..how much would a law clerk earn? (Say, for instance, a 2nd year law student...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)