Law/Criminology @ UNE? (1 Viewer)

liljd001

HSC
Hi Guys..

I'm a Year 12 sudent about to sit her HSC in 2 days (ARGH!) and I have only yesterday discovered that UNE is offerring a double degree in Law and Criminology.

Does anybody have any info about the course? I looked at the website etc, and they gave me some info, but I'm still not 100%.

Obviously, the UAI cut-off for Law at UNE is a lot better than those of say, USYD and Macquarie, but how highly regarded is the degree? Law is a very competitive area thats all, and I have heard of graduates being overlooked for jobs on account of their tertiary study (no offence).

I like the sound of UNE, being a country girl =) only thing stopping me is the fact that I live 11 hours from Armidale =(

If someone could help me out, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
While I do neither Law nor Criminology, I do know several people who do both. Criminology is a relatively new degree for the university, and the half-dozen people I know that do it all love it. I'm not sure if there is an actual Law/Criminology degree, but if there isn't it may be entirely possible to do a Criminology major in an Arts/Law degree. It's best to contact the university - namely the Student Centre (the number is 6773 4444 ... I think) - ASAP and ask about it.

As for the thing about people being overlooked because of where they got their degree, it's bullshit. Pardon my French, but it's true. It may have ben the case once, but with ore and more people getting university degree, the meaning behind an actual degree is becoming less and less. It's the skills you have that will often sway the balance in your favour when it comes time to search for graduate position. A graduate from UNSW Law might look good, but one from UNE Law who has done programs such as the Vice Chancellor's Student Leadership Program could look much more appealing, andthe University has plenty of those on offer, especially if you go to a residential college (which you really should do, if only for a year as it's a great experince; make sure you come to Duval as I know you'll love us and we'll love to have you just as much if not more).

Anyway, Law in Sydney is over-rated for two reasons: 1) the class sizes. They're huge. Here at UNE, the maximum I've seen is about 250 people - I'm told Syndey can often have 1000 - and you get plenty of face-to-face time with tutors and lecturers like, which you don't get. 2) The UAIs at Sydney are s high because there's a lot of people who do the Law degree but don't actually go on to practice law; they do it for the prestige associated with the university, which makes it really difficult to get in. Just because Sydney has a higher UAI doesn't mean it's better than UNE in every last respect. Try finding a lecturer at a Sydney university who would be willing to discuss your assessments for an hour on their own time ... it's not going to happen.

And it doesn't matter how far away you live; people in my year are from as far afield as Griffith and Broken Hill. Hell, the guy who lives opposite me comes from Darwin, while some of the freshers are from Zimbabwe and my best friend lived in Eastern Europe for fifteen years.

fleck27

HSC
I'm really interested in doing this degree as well...not too keen on Armidale though ;)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
You should pick your university based on what degree you want to do, not where you want to live.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)