Law degrees "useless" (1 Viewer)

humphreybear

HSC
santaslayer said:
Uhhh Minter Ellison is actually a killer law firm in many countries...whih one are u talking about? london, HK, Australia, sa francisco, china?

coz the one u r talking about seems to be based in NZ?
"uhhh" no.

Minter Ellison is pretty much a nobody anywhere besides Australia, and it is the Australian firm i am talking about.

but I was incorrect in one regard, I was referring to the CEO of the Melbourne office, who is ex-KPMG.

http://www.veski.com.au/about_bm.html#BJ

i think most other professions hate lawyers because they have such a pretigious reputation for being a bunch of self important pompous bunch, though I'm sure this is a generalisation.

humphreybear

HSC
Re: New UNSW Law building

MoonlightSonata said:
If that were the case, you should demonstrate why. That is a lot more persuassive than saying "you're wrong."
Ad hominem arguments again.
dude...just say "personal attacks". lol it looks like you're talking german to dumb people like me.

me went to dumb school.

michaeln36

HSC
I completely agree with Nebuchanezzar. They should obliterate the arts, religion, law and philosophy faculties in every university througout the world, and instead train everyone to be scientists. After all, we could all do with more scientists, who have forgotten scientific reason, and have 'proven' such instances as global warming through 'consensus', ie. all the scientists decide something is true, therefore it IS true, and therefore we should all forget reason and follow these great people, for they hang a 'science degree' on their wall.

Nebuchanezzar. U fail to realise the importance of every aspect of society. Withoug cleaners, we would be drowning in our own filth, without engineers we wouldn't have nice buildings, and without laywers, my god, the world might actually be a happy place ;).
Lawyers make a very important part of our society. They ensure that criminals get punished, that innocent people don't end up in jail, that democratic processes continue, etcetc.

What i find most funny is that this science student (who probably failed general english, then concluded that any subject that requires stinging sentences together is useless) is trying to take on law students :D:D, with the evidence that "i believe law is a useless degree, therefore law is a useless degree, and scientists are the only people to have ever helped humans".

I used to be greatly interested in science, and have the same false assumptions as you that scientists do 'groundbreaking research', pusing the fronteirs of technology. THen i did work experience at ANSTO, after that i was cured of ever wanting to get within a few kilometers of a science degree. THe truth is most scientists do NOT come up with anything new, or help society in any profound way. (if they did, there would be thousands of new inventions a week).

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Ad hominem arguments again.
I always thought that lawyers engaged in "ad hominem" arguments all the time, attacking the individual to try and reach a greater cause. In fact, I believe I listed a few instances where you, Mr. Law, engaged in your fancy Latin wording for biased personal attacking as well.

What i find most funny is that this science student (who probably failed general english, then concluded that any subject that requires stinging sentences together is useless) is trying to take on law students , with the evidence that "i believe law is a useless degree, therefore law is a useless degree, and scientists are the only people to have ever helped humans".
humphreybear said:
i think most other professions hate lawyers because they have such a pretigious reputation for being a bunch of self important pompous bunch, though I'm sure this is a generalisation.
Well, now you have at least one example, plus he's a liberal supporter. Perhaps the faculty of law also has a bias towards the "liberal" end of Australia's political spectrum, as opposed to the real liberal end. Anyway, I'm getting off track.

Lawyers make a very important part of our society. They ensure that criminals get punished, that innocent people don't end up in jail, that democratic processes continue, etcetc.
I take back something I may have said. The idea of having a law to govern the world in which we live is not a bad idea, in fact, it's a vital idea that lets scientists, engineers, teachers, doctors, nurses and labourers get on with their job that makes the world turn round.

Having a university educate people on these matters seems to only cost taxpayers money for little reason. There is no reason for an expensive university course in law, as I've been saying, it's common sense to come up with the great things that law has done over the years.

Furthermore, the very things that everyday lawyers do don't seem to really be working, do they? I don't have links, texts or specific examples to back me up here, but it's common knowledghe that even in the civilised world (we'll ingore China for now) innocent people are being executed and sent to prison, rapists are being given lenient sentences and Australians are being sent overseas to be jailed for insignificant relations with a racist, useless (to our country) and self-important neighbouring country. Dare I say that if the AFP is not composed mainly of law grads (in high positions), then they are being advised by law grads. Dare I say that the judge sentencing the rapist is a law grad? Dare I say that the prosecutor demanding the death sentence to the man pleading continually that he's innocent is a law grad? Yes, yes I can say that and I will.

Now you may say that I'm being stereotypical. I am, but no more then you law folks generalising science communities for being death causing, nuclear loving wackos. In fact, just as a general point; it may be the scientists that come up with the weapons, but it's the leaders (many of whom are law grads) that fire those weapons in the end.

THe truth is most scientists do NOT come up with anything new, or help society in any profound way.
tHE tRIUth is THGat lawyers do NOT come up with anything new, or help society in any profound way. It is my view that scientists that have society and the world along more than lawyers have in the past. Argue all you want (I hope you will), but I certainly believe it's true.

humphreybear

HSC
They ensure that criminals get punished, that innocent people don't end up in jail, that democratic processes continue, etcetc.
yeah but thats a side effect of their existence, the only reason lawyers exist is because not everyone knows the law and relies on people who do know law to tell them what to do. Just like when a company doesn't know if their accounting treatment of their new buildings is correct, they ask an auditor.

Lets not make lawyers seem more important than they are. the bottom line is Lawyers are consultants.

I guess the law itself is important. I don't wish to promote anarchy, but have you ever wondered how stuffed we'd all be, if everyone realised, why should we follow the law? noone would enforce it (as all the cops would be asking the same question) and we'd all be stuffed !!! lol

Demandred

HSC
Damn, so ugly, so quick.

Pffft bloody wannabes, they know lawyers are the best and are jealous because their professions aren't 'elite'.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Demandred said:
Damn, so ugly, so quick.

Pffft bloody wannabes, they know lawyers are the best and are jealous because their professions aren't 'elite'.
Yes, apart from the elite word at the end, that is correct. I am jealous that science isn't as well paid (generally) as the field of law, I'm jealous that it doesn't receive as much attention, I'm jealous that it has a better view in the eyes of the public (mostly) and I'm jealous that they get into politics easier. Damn law students, it's wrong I tell you. But in no way am I a wannabe law student. If someone said, "Hey Jim, wanna do a law degree for free?", I'd say yes, it would improve my employment prospects, but I'd still favour a science course over that law course if they were both free.

Why exactly do you think lawyers are the best though? Is it the snobbish attitude that being a student of the faculty of law gives you? Is it the media attention? Is it ignorance? What's the answer.

It's a pity a debate for this cannot be organised on campus. I'd love to see the more senior students of each faculty (rather then a first year going against a 3rd year or whatever) going against each other and trying to out-debate and out-smart each other. It'd be fantastic.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
I always thought that lawyers engaged in "ad hominem" arguments all the time, attacking the individual to try and reach a greater cause.
First, that's another fallacy called tu quoque.

Second, what lawyers sometimes do is undermine a witness' credibility. This is often not an ad hominem fallacy because they are not attacking the argument, rather the source of evidence itself - the person's testimony.
Nebuchanezzar said:
In fact, I believe I listed a few instances where you, Mr. Law, engaged in your fancy Latin wording for biased personal attacking as well.
That wasn't me.
Nebuchanezzar said:
Furthermore, the very things that everyday lawyers do don't seem to really be working, do they? I don't have links, texts or specific examples to back me up here, but it's common knowledghe that even in the civilised world (we'll ingore China for now) innocent people are being executed and sent to prison, rapists are being given lenient sentences and Australians are being sent overseas to be jailed for insignificant relations with a racist, useless (to our country) and self-important neighbouring country. Dare I say that if the AFP is not composed mainly of law grads (in high positions), then they are being advised by law grads. Dare I say that the judge sentencing the rapist is a law grad? Dare I say that the prosecutor demanding the death sentence to the man pleading continually that he's innocent is a law grad? Yes, yes I can say that and I will.
Just because our system isn't perfect does not mean that lawyers or the law is useless or that it has no function. It just means some improvement may be necessary in certain areas.
Nebuchanezzar said:
Now you may say that I'm being stereotypical. I am, but no more then you law folks generalising science communities for being death causing, nuclear loving wackos.
I for one never said that.
Nebuchanezzar said:
In fact, just as a general point; it may be the scientists that come up with the weapons, but it's the leaders (many of whom are law grads) that fire those weapons in the end.
You've missed the point entirely. The point was that science does damage just as law does damage. This does not mean all the good that it does should be overlooked.
Nebuchanezzar said:
tHE tRIUth is THGat lawyers do NOT come up with anything new, or help society in any profound way.
A considerable number of human rights, immigration, native title and constitutional lawyers would disagree with you on that one. Those areas are particularly fields of practice prone to helping others. Even in private law disputes, lawyers serve a role in protecting individual interests. Lawyers also work in law reform commissions, designed to advance the law and progress towards a better justice system.
Nebuchanezzar said:
It is my view that scientists that have society and the world along more than lawyers have in the past. Argue all you want (I hope you will), but I certainly believe it's true.
Even assuming that scientists have helped society more than lawyers have, so what?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Do you believe that a law degree is nessecary for:

A considerable number of human rights, immigration, native title and constitutional lawyers would disagree with you on that one. Those areas are particularly fields of practice prone to helping others. Even in private law disputes, lawyers serve a role in protecting individual interests. Lawyers also work in law reform commissions, designed to advance the law and progress towards a better justice system.
that general idea? I certainly do not. It was the electorate, the people and the general consensus in society that made those changes was it not? Catalysed by lawyers? Sadly, yes, but caused by lawyers? I doubt it. Once again, the ideas that are put forth under the title of law are well and good, but the degree itself is still useless.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
This argument has very limited point and is much too easy. If you are going to make an argument you should at least make it challenging!

I'm off indefinitely to apply my mind to something more useful.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I do believe that's what you said two pages ago, law boy. Anyway, each of us has failed to beat the other side, and seeing as there is no egotistical judge to make a judgement, I'd say we both failed. The law student failed at beating the science student in an argument, how sad.

HSC
dont get me wrong, i love law and love the idea of burning myself out working it makes me feel mor satisfied at the end of the day

Demandred

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
The law student failed at beating the science student in an argument, how sad.
How about that a law student discovered that the science student wasn't worth the dirt on his shoes, as he was led to believe, and left the scene. :p

humphreybear

HSC
dont get me wrong, i love law and love the idea of burning myself out working it makes me feel mor satisfied at the end of the day
in that case get into investment banking

and then repeat that statement after you've had you 100th day in a row working form 7am till 2 am :)

humphreybear

HSC
Demandred said:
How about that a law student discovered that the science student wasn't worth the dirt on his shoes, as he was led to believe, and left the scene. :p
dude you're deluded if you think that law students are somehow superior to others. you'll get your ass kicked in professional services or commerce so fast you'll end up begging the "dirt" for jobs in their companies

I'll believe you are superior when you are a partner at a big 6 law firm or you;re a general counsel or something. You attitude is laughable considering you havent even got an article yet and are not even guaranteed any worthwhile career yet and speak as if you're some hotshot barrister from some crappy tv show

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
humphreybear said:
You attitude is laughable considering you havent even got an article yet and are not even guaranteed any worthwhile career yet and speak as if you're some hotshot barrister from some crappy tv show
You don't think your attitude is laughable?

You should be well aware that you speak as if you are some hotshot graduate when you are probably another 2nd year com student with big stars in his eyes who looks like he doesn't read posts too carefully.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Bitching about different faculties is pretty pointless.

Science, Law, Commerce, Engineering, IT, Medicine, and dare I say, Arts, are all important and are all useful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)