Law Diploma or Grad Law? (1 Viewer)

AdamOB

Cortex
HSC
Hello everyone, after reading, the first few topics in this forum, i decided i need some further ideas and opinions on what i should do next year. I graduate from computer science this semester and am interested in studying law next year. Alot of unis have grad entry in b.laws so i was thinking that is the way to go until i was directed to the law diploma offered by the legal board. Which do you think is the right choice for me?

After reading the link the legal boards course(you can find it by searching through the second thread from the top in this forum.) i wonder why more people choose uni over that seeing how they are eqv in the eyes of the man.

Thx in advance for your replies.

El Misterio

HSC
Re: Law Diploma or Grad entry into B.Laws

They're equivalent in as far as either gaining an LLB from a university / law school or completing the LPAB course is sufficient to fulfill the academic requirements for admission in NSW.

I don't know enough about the LPAB or most universities / law schools to say whether the quality of teaching is broadly similar. I suspect that you would get a pretty good quality legal education through the LPAB.

However I certainly do know that in the eyes of many (most?) employers, they are not equivalent. The significant commercial private sector employers (especially the 'big' firms) recruit pretty much exclusively from the universities. I'm not sure what the attitude amongst the government offices and departments that employ law graduates is, but I suspect they'd express a general preference for those holding LLBs over LPAB graduates too. Of course, depending on what you think you might want to do once you're qualified, this may not be a problem for you.

I would suggest that you should look at doing an LLB through a university / law school in preference to the LPAB, but depending on your career goals the LPAB may be a viable 'second choice'. Unless circumstances otherwise dictate, however, I can't think of a good reason to make it your first choice.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

Well answered, I agree with the above

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A

I've also heard that the LPAB offers much less support than what you would get from a university, which is why it has such a large drop out/fail rate. Although the content is essentially the same, and neither institution is willing to spoonfeed you and hold your hand as you progress, the LPAB takes a much more 'student-centered' approach in terms of you having full responsibility for getting the work done.

Any LPAB students out there willing to confirm this? I recall seeing it mentioned in a post in this forum a while ago.

santaslayer

HSC

I say LLB sincve you have successfully graduated (or will, in the near future) already. You are already well acquainted with university life. The LPAB course is a lot different to university structure, in my imagination anyway..

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC

Yeah, LPAB is more expensive (and you have to pay upfront) and lecturers/tutors are not available to you outside class times.

Its also a bit different assessment wise, you have about 2 assignments and 1 exam per subject, you have to pass all of them but only the exam is counted as your final mark.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

MiuMiu said:
Yeah, LPAB is more expensive (and you have to pay upfront) and lecturers/tutors are not available to you outside class times.

Its also a bit different assessment wise, you have about 2 assignments and 1 exam per subject, you have to pass all of them but only the exam is counted as your final mark.
Yeah, When I was considering it people I knew doing it and people who knew doing it all said the same thing, that is that the exams are hard and if you fail the exam you've failed.They all suggested I don't do it. I guess that some people find the work load more diffcult as you are working fulltime or close to full time hrs if I remember correctly (please correct me if I am wrong).

B Laws would be your best bet, especially if you are already used to the univeristy mode of study :uhhuh: there are a few grads in my intro and torts classes and they seem to like it

Last edited:

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Interestingly, at a Careers Advisers' conference at the USyd last Friday our Dean of Law and his aide both agreed that the LPAB Dip is a very, very tough programme and lacks much of the academic and pastoral support of a degree programme.

The Dean also commented that studies had shown that the most successful students in the diploma programme tended to be students with plenty of tertiary studies experience behind them since they tended to be far better equipped to handle the demanding coursework.

Peter, the Dean's aide, mentioned that the programme was often undertaken by public servants seeking a legal background for their work.

I would always advise an LLB programme over the dip.

X

xeuyrawp

ManlyChief said:
Interestingly, at a Careers Advisers' conference at the USyd last Friday our Dean of Law and his aide both agreed that the LPAB Dip is a very, very tough programme and lacks much of the academic and pastoral support of a degree programme.

The Dean also commented that studies had shown that the most successful students in the diploma programme tended to be students with plenty of tertiary studies experience behind them since they tended to be far better equipped to handle the demanding coursework.

Peter, the Dean's aide, mentioned that the programme was often undertaken by public servants seeking a legal background for their work.

I would always advise an LLB programme over the dip.
I love it, the program that requires students to be tougher, more independent, and generally more bright is the least favoured of the programs. Go figure.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I suppose its difficult finding a balance between giving law students every support and opportunity to be the best lawyer they can, and preparing them for the legal world which is a lot more independent in terms of legal research and analysis.

I think it makes more sense to have 'spoonfed' (I use the term in quotation marks because I don't mean it to the degree of HSC spoonfeeding, just comparatively with the LPAB course) graduates with a more extensive knowledge base behind them. Independence and similar qualities are probably easier to pick up on the job than some of the substantive stuff you are guided through during the law degree program.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I love it, the program that requires students to be tougher, more independent, and generally more bright is the least favoured of the programs. Go figure.
Oh, but Pwar, I dislike the LPAB not because of it being more independent, tougher etc, but, rather, in spite of these characteristics. Were the more support for students in the programme, it would be great; but in its current form, I cannot love it. I simply can't.

santaslayer

HSC
MiuMiu said:
I suppose its difficult finding a balance between giving law students every support and opportunity to be the best lawyer they can, and preparing them for the legal world which is a lot more independent in terms of legal research and analysis.

I think it makes more sense to have 'spoonfed' (I use the term in quotation marks because I don't mean it to the degree of HSC spoonfeeding, just comparatively with the LPAB course) graduates with a more extensive knowledge base behind them. Independence and similar qualities are probably easier to pick up on the job than some of the substantive stuff you are guided through during the law degree program.
I agree. Learning practical skills is cool, but the majority of it should be easier within the workforce.

X

xeuyrawp

ManlyChief said:
Oh, but Pwar, I dislike the LPAB not because of it being more independent, tougher etc, but, rather, in spite of these characteristics. Were the more support for students in the programme, it would be great; but in its current form, I cannot love it. I simply can't.
Hmm, it's a valid criticism.

The non-lecture environment of any institution is hugely important in developing students' abilities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)