Law/International Studies at UNSW or USYD? (1 Viewer)

mindelay

HSC
I knew my ATAR would get me into law at both UNSW & USYD but I ended up putting UNSW as my 1st preference. I swapped preferences after first round offers, so now I have an offer to UNSW Int Studies/Law (which I've enrolled in) and USYD Int & Global Studies/Law.

I can't decide! I only have about 2 days and I've been happy with my decision to go to UNSW, but I keep having nagging doubts.

UNSW - better International Studies program, apparently overtaking USYD in the quality of its Law program, guaranteed 1 yr exchange, smaller law classes, focus on social justice & international law

USYD - better reputation, better arts faculty, slightly closer to home, entry scholarship, shorter degree, more competitive, better social life?

This might sound judgmental, but I've heard a lot of people only got into UNSW Law because of bonus points, whereas bonus points don't apply to USYD Law. I feel like at USYD I'd be in a more challenging/stimulating environment because I'd really be surrounded by all the 'high achievers', whereas at UNSW I'd be with everyone who missed out on USYD.

Opinions? Advice? Anything to add to my pros/cons list? :(

jassono

HSC
Umm sorry that i cant really answer your question, I really think it's not that black and white, it's up to you because they're both top unis, you really cant go wrong with either and it's just what you feel is right.
But just to dispel the horrible lies youve heard, bonus points down apply to unsw law
UNSW: The University of New South Wales - Sydney Australia - FUTURE STUDENTS

The only other source of bonus points that help people get into Law is EAS, and heaps of people get into usyd law with eas. There were 273 students who got main round offers into usyd law. I think it's 35 students per 0.5 atar increment (correct me if im wrong). So 210 students got above 99.7. Theyre not all lawyers, and theyre not all at usyd
'Bonus Points' is just a euphemistic of saying, my family is f'ed up
So both unis still have a higher calibre of students, and the challenge/stimulation wouldnt have to just come from students, the teachers and the content is probably enough to keep you up into the wee hours of the night studying your teeth off.

For me i'd love to go to usyd, but for all the wrong reasons, when really theyre both just faces of the same coin...I think?

Last edited:

rx34

HSC
Hey hun, if USyd is closer to home and you have a scholarship, why not go to USyd? Nothing beats a scholarship and also pretty sandstone buildings :p Don't worry, there are plenty of high achievers in UNSW and it is really great uni. It's just the money and travelling convenience would be my pick to go to USyd.

HSC
I assume you've done all the selections by now, but if not, then I've got a few points of interest.

In 2008/2009, UNSW was ranked 6th, one in front of Macquarie, whilst USYD was ranked 2nd or 3rd. From the law situation, ANU is ranked the highest, despite it's lower ATAR cutoff - so don't assume UNSW or USYD offer the best law schools, it goes back to the demand and supply issue. UTS ranked dead last in the law field and needs an ATAR of 97+ compared to the 'better off' ANU which only needs 96.

Whilst it might seem USYD is better overall, students at the law uni there thought the experience was bad to mediocre, and the university received a meagre one star out of five for 'staff qualifications.' UNSW however, saw students being more satisfied, and saw one of the highest starting salaries (USYD has the highest for Postgraduates).

It's also really important to look at your other degree. Perhaps you're better off with the uni that offers more in that degree, as in the end, it's going to be what puts you on top of the pack of law students - I mean, when you're finished your law degree is going to be almost identical to other close universities, but someone could easily get that job instead of you because their arts/science/commerce/international degree is more well rounded.

Note: A lot of the stats were from the top off my head, so I might have made some minor errors. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)