law question (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey peeps

so if i what if the only option for me was to do law at uow like a bachelor of laws, would i still have a chance at entering the profession?

or should i scrap law at uow and do something better?

the reason i can only do law at uow is personal, but should i just do a double degree with it instead or?

thanks x

cherryboi

HSC
I don't know a lot about the legal profession or law at uni. But from what ive heard and experienced, USYD/UNSW have a bit of a monopoly in top law firms but that doesn't mean graduates from UTS/Macquarie/UWS/UOW are disadvantaged. As long as your able to achieve top marks and have extra curriculars, and distinguish yourself from other graduates you will be able to enter the legal profession.

btw if you receive good marks in the first year you can always transfer to other uni's.

HSC
I don't know a lot about the legal profession or law at uni. But from what ive heard and experienced, USYD/UNSW have a bit of a monopoly in top law firms but that doesn't mean graduates from UTS/Macquarie/UWS/UOW are disadvantaged. As long as your able to achieve top marks and have extra curriculars, and distinguish yourself from other graduates you will be able to enter the legal profession.

btw if you receive good marks in the first year you can always transfer to other uni's.
thanks so much

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
hey peeps

so if i what if the only option for me was to do law at uow like a bachelor of laws, would i still have a chance at entering the profession?

or should i scrap law at uow and do something better?

the reason i can only do law at uow is personal, but should i just do a double degree with it instead or?

thanks x
Yes, and even so if your idea of 'entering the profession' is simply 'can I score a summer clerkship and graduate position at a big commercial law firm?'. Even if it's not common, there definitely have been UOW alumni at top-tier and mid-tier commercial law firms.

There's obviously other opportunities in the legal profession.

If you like the possible idea of being a lawyer, yes you should do law.

Well it's a 5 year combined law degree vs a 4 year single law degree (JDs are 3 years). Only 1 extra year for another degree sounds like a good deal if you're that concerned with finding a job in the legal profession.

HSC
Yes, and even so if your idea of 'entering the profession' is simply 'can I score a summer clerkship and graduate position at a big commercial law firm?'. Even if it's not common, there definitely have been UOW alumni at top-tier and mid-tier commercial law firms.

There's obviously other opportunities in the legal profession.

If you like the possible idea of being a lawyer, yes you should do law.

Well it's a 5 year combined law degree vs a 4 year single law degree (JDs are 3 years). Only 1 extra year for another degree sounds like a good deal if you're that concerned with finding a job in the legal profession.
so what you're saying is that even uow is not one of the group of 8 unis, i still have a chance with doing the Bachelor of Laws?

captainneuro

HSC
so what you're saying is that even uow is not one of the group of 8 unis, i still have a chance with doing the Bachelor of Laws?
..Do you think the tens of thousands of lawyers currently working around the country are from usyd/unsw or go8 only?

HSC
..Do you think the tens of thousands of lawyers currently working around the country are from usyd/unsw or go8 only?
umm no.....i am from a migrant background and am not that familiar with uni degrees and the such so yeah. thank you so much for the reply though x :) :)

clementinez

HSC
N/A

thanks x
This is my third reply to your today because I'm a little tired and killing time online lol but I figure you might find it useful so, anyway..

I know a person that studied at the University of New England and now works at one of the Big 4 Accounting firms in their legal department. Don't know what they do exactly but I know it's law related so yeah go for it if you like law. The only thing I would suggest is to pair it up with a safety net like Commerce. Combined degrees are only a year longer and it's a better experience imo because you don't have to do 4 years of 4 law subjects per semester. Also gives you a broader skill set.

clementinez

HSC
N/A
umm no.....i am from a migrant background and am not that familiar with uni degrees and the such so yeah. thank you so much for the reply though x :) :)
Not sure when exactly you moved to Australia but look into EAS bonus points because I know there's a disadvantage related to migrant status somewhere in there (I think it's if you've moved to Australia in the past 5 years or something but check it for yourself). You may be able to get bonus points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)