• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Law school rankings (3 Viewers)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
neo o said:
UNSW.... has compulsory tutorials, and a lot of them.
i think what you mean is that most teachers enforce the 80% attendance rule.

this isn't necessarily a bad thing.. if you're skipping more than 20% of the time, query whether you're making the most of law school.. :)

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
I don't want to start a uni war here, but with respect I think that some of these claims aren't very tenable, or do not advance your conclusion. Let me explain.

So with respect, I am not persuaded by the claims you put forward. Don't get me wrong - I am not attacking MQ in any form. Rather I am effectively defending all the other law schools you indirectly criticised. I think the bottom line that I would like to convey here is not to presume.
poor person. they didnt stand a chance against the logical argumentive genious of moonlight sonata.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Frigid said:
i think what you mean is that most teachers enforce the 80% attendance rule.

this isn't necessarily a bad thing.. if you're skipping more than 20% of the time, query whether you're making the most of law school.. :)
This also happens at MQ and UWS...i ahven't had a single law or Arts subject that hasn't had an 80% attendance rule.

For what you pay, you should go to tutes...it doesn't apply to lectures as much as MQ because we have i-lecture for free...apparenlty UWS is getting it too

04er

HSC
melsc said:
This also happens at MQ and UWS...i ahven't had a single law or Arts subject that hasn't had an 80% attendance rule.

For what you pay, you should go to tutes...it doesn't apply to lectures as much as MQ because we have i-lecture for free...apparenlty UWS is getting it too
damn... i want that! we just started having trials with lecture recordings for one subject this semester...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
04er said:
damn... i want that! we just started having trials with lecture recordings for one subject this semester...
We have lecture recordings for all subjects at ANU. I think lecturers need to make concessions to students who work full time where anything beyond a few hours of compulsory tutorials per week would clash with their employment. As much as many people want to go to class, they also need to pay the rent and feed themselves.

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
neo o said:
We have lecture recordings for all subjects at ANU. I think lecturers need to make concessions to students who work full time where anything beyond a few hours of compulsory tutorials per week would clash with their employment. As much as many people want to go to class, they also need to pay the rent and feed themselves.
That's why there are Centrelink payments. What's the point of being a student if you can't even attend?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Youth allowance is $112 a week for someone living at home... its not that much...
Have you lived off centre link payments?
You still have to attend tutes anyway.

Besides recorded lectures are good for when people are away when sick, live in remote areas etc...

04er

HSC
not to mention when they are bombarded by multiple, substantial assessments within a short period of time

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
melsc said:
Youth allowance is $112 a week for someone living at home... its not that much...
Have you lived off centre link payments?
You still have to attend tutes anyway.

Besides recorded lectures are good for when people are away when sick, live in remote areas etc...
I'm on it now, I'm not rolling in money, but it's enough plus a little bit more.

I definitely appreciate recorded lectures, as a back-up if I miss something or if I can't make it. I just dislike it when people want to have minimal involvement in university because they can't manage their money well enough to live on centrelink, and I've heard some of them complain that it's discrimination. It's a bit whingy. University isn't supposed to be a walk in the park.

Last edited:

hYperTrOphY

HSC
melsc said:

I did Constitutional this semester and classes were not compulsory. There were podcasts for just about every topic, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)