LAWS1052 in-class test (1 Viewer)

is a roflcopter
HSC
omg megawow!?!
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Haha pwned! That's what you uni people get! TAFELaw is way cooler. :p
are you doing tafe and uni at the same time?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Asquithian
lol yeah terra nullius was chucked out by mabo ?!?!
thats what I thought, and I do 1st year business law!

addz

HSC
native title : select groups had the right to claim that in fact they occupied the land b4 settlement

or something like that..
dunno if it chucked out the whole concept of terra nullius..but was milestone case for land recognition..
too bad not many others like it have succeeded at court

or then again i could be full of shit..and dunno wats going on in my prac test 2morrow...or the real test for that matter...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by rukawasan
laz... why arent u a tutor... can i be in ur tutor group...
im deadly serious here... just to compensate for my lecturer...
I simply don't have time, heh... and I'm already tutoring a computer science subject.
http://www.boredofstudies.org/james/s1tt.html

laz... how do we approach the essay questions... what format do we use... standard high school essay format or is there some other format we should know bt?
1) Identify the subject of the question (e.g. what the rule of law is).
2) Take a critical position; don't sit on the fence unless you can do it really well.
3) Interpret the case within the context of the question to substantiate your argument.

I've typed up one of my extended responses for you. [<a href="/james/Damjanovic%20v%20Maley%20-%20Rule%20of%20Law.pdf">download</a>]

When I read it now, it doesn't appear to be very good, but I suppose it is an example of the standard expected of first-year students.

Originally posted by Newbie
theres a 20 liner question somewhere i think
thats not really an essay right?
The "less than 20 lines" instruction really just means "don't write more than you can reasonably fit on this page". See above example.

it upheld terra nullius til mabo man came i think ? :(
Strictly speaking, the 'ruling' in Cooper v Stuart regarding the settlement of NSW does not form part of the ratio of the case. This is because the determination wasn't necessary for the decision. However, unanimous agreement on an issue by the justices (or lords) of the highest court in the land is generally accepted to be ratio material anyway. Mabo (No. 2) abolished the doctrine of terra nullius.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
are you doing tafe and uni at the same time?
Sorry about my last post, I was in a state of debatable sobriety. There is no such thing as TAFELaw.

addz

HSC
lol..in my in class test..
i did like 20 lines..almost to the dot..
but it was like around 3/4 of the page..so thats okay i guess

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
what is "public policy" ?
Heh, I remember asking that.

Arguments founded on public policy do not specifically involve matters of law, but relate to overarching concerns which the advocate believes the Court should weigh up when making its decision. For example... one might argue that allowing the plaintiff to succeed in this case would 'open the floodgates' for litigation, outweighing the benefit of providing a remedy.

See the following page for a great overview of the main types of policy arguments:
http://www.stcl.edu/faculty-dir/mcgaugh/policy_arguments.htm

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
laz... u never cease to amaze with the amazingly amazing shit u pull outta ur ass... excuse the language...
omg... where did u get all this stuff?

hey newb.... let me noe when u get the actual case we're suppose to prepare... judging the questionable concern of prof. esperraga on the welfare of his class... im not too sure whether hes even aware we're suppose to get the case a week ahead...

by the way... asq/laz... did all the law classes do the test at the same time last yr... cos if they dont dosnt that mean ppl can just rip the questions off others if they do it later and prepare them beforehand...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
by the way... asq/laz... did all the law classes do the test at the same time last yr... cos if they dont dosnt that mean ppl can just rip the questions off others if they do it later and prepare them beforehand...
No. There are differences between the class tests. You can liken it to there being a set of 50 possible questions that could potentially be asked on the test, and then each class test randomly posing 10 of them. (Actual numbers may vary.)

However, if you prepare answers for most of the questions in that original set, chances are you'll cover most of the questions in your test anyway.

is a roflcopter
HSC
I LOVE YOU LAZ AND ASQUITHMAN

now now

bulun bulun + friends v R&T textiles

lets pool some ideas people :p

is a roflcopter
HSC
my name's john

anyway
heres newbies question of the day
what is "equitable interest"?

sugared plum

HSC
an interest in property enfored and created by the court of chancery in the situation where it would have been unconscionable for the legal owner of the property to retain the benefit of the property for him/herself.

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
No. There are differences between the class tests. You can liken it to there being a set of 50 possible questions that could potentially be asked on the test, and then each class test randomly posing 10 of them. (Actual numbers may vary.)

However, if you prepare answers for most of the questions in that original set, chances are you'll cover most of the questions in your test anyway.
hmmm... thats interesting...
where do we find this 'orginal set'?...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
hmmm... thats interesting...
where do we find this 'orginal set'?...
Uh. Past papers and brainstorming. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)