Laz Seeker Problems (1 Viewer)

Daedalus

I downloaded Laz Seeker and am having problems with it, it could be that i dont know how to use the prog properly but i dont think so

the calculated UAI seems soo high

I put in:

4U Math: 88
3U math: 88
chem: 88
Phy: 88
Eng ADV: 88

and the UAI is 99.05!!

i read many ppls post about how accurate it is, and that their uai is predicted at 80 etc. However, even if i minimise all the marks i can not predict a UAI <90

anyone help?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Youv'e picked high-scaling subjects.

Also, LAz seeker can only calculate top 75% of state (bottom 25% is left out ...)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You're doing everything correctly, Daedalus (the labyrinth guy?).

One small thing:
Assuming you're trying to predict your UAI for this year (which we don't claim to be able to do, we just do UAIs from last year) you should be using Maths Ext1 (3UA) as your 3u component, not the Maths Ext2 (4UC) option. This is because the scaled marks for the latter were mistakenly boost in 2001 and it will not be occurring again this year.

It only has a minor effect, however.

If the marks you listed are accurate predictions (and are not raw marks or anything like that) then, well, what can I say? You're going to do well.

Daedalus

so if someone got 88 for all their subjects last year their uai is close to 99??

macca202

ONLY if they did the really high scalling subects like the ones UR doign. BUT the best way to estimate with that thing is to look at the % position in the state wen u enter your hsc mark,

Last edited:

macca202

FATASS, what are u on. you misinterpretated what mclake said. I think 16% of hsc ppl get over 90, thats because the bottom 20% or so of ppl distributed in the 0 - 100 of uai, DONT EVEN DO THE HSC!!!!!!!!!!!! if u left in year 10 or somthing, u are considered the dumbest in the state, so the uai distribution puts u at the bottom of the list , starting from zero up. so if u get 51, you are most likey below the average of ALL the 17 18 yearolds or whatever in the state. I think the average which is also the median UAI for those who do the hsc, is 60 or somthing!!!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Sorry, I thought I was clear enough.

What macca202 said ...

FatAsss

how was boosting the scaling a mistake... seems fair to me as its worth 2 units. And its all scaled on the performance of the people in other courses...

FatAsss

Originally posted by macca202
if u left in year 10 or somthing, u are considered the dumbest in the state, so the uai distribution puts u at the bottom of the list , starting from zero up.
dont they work out the year 10 school leavers potential scores from the school cert exams?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by FatAsss
how was boosting the scaling a mistake... seems fair to me as its worth 2 units. And its all scaled on the performance of the people in other courses...
It's a mistake because they sat exactly the same paper as the 3u students. The fact that the course is worth 2 units is irrelevant, as all courses are considered on a 1 unit basis anyway. If a 3u student receives a raw mark of (making these up) 85 which gets scaled to 90 and a 4u student receives a raw mark of 85 on the same paper, which gets scaled to 90, how is that fair? They haven't shown any extra ability.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by FatAsss

dont they work out the year 10 school leavers potential scores from the school cert exams?
Essentially, yes. Percentiles between the HSC and the SC two years prior to that are equated, which is how the TER is turned into a UAI. Explained in great detail in the UAC's technical report.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)