Lazseeker>>>? (1 Viewer)

how accurate is this lazseeker.. just wondering...
i dnt think its very accurate..
someone correct me,..
:confused:

Christine

beige member
HSC
lazarus will probably post here and tell u what u need to know,

but its an estimate (just like ozseek)

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Lazseeker is supposed to give you an accurate estimate of you UAI, had you done last year's HSC with the marks you enter.

why don't you think it's accurate?

Christine

beige member
HSC
Originally posted by WaTs 2 CuM AhEd
bcoz its givin me a low mark:mad1:
lol nah i dont know with all assessmnt marks n all...
meh, don't stress. it gave me a low mark too!

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
although Laz is probably constructing a nice explanation for you at this very moment, remember that HSC marks are usually much higher than raw assessment marks. Many schools like to set their assessments harder so that in the grand scheme of things, marks for their candidature can be scaled up for the "moderated assessment mark" component of the HSC

don't fret! ;)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Weisy is correct... the program is designed to calculate what your UAI would have been had you sat the HSC in 2001 (and achieving the marks that you entered).

*stops typing*

Oh damn I've just seen Weisy's second reply. There you go. :p

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I might add that, if the distributions of students between bands in each course are significantly different to last year's distributions, LazSeeker might not be all that accurate for 2002.

It seems that the general opinion is that the 2002 HSC exams have been easier than the 2001 HSC exams. I couldn't say for sure whether this is the case or not, but if it is, and you're trying to predict your UAI for this year (which we don't claim to be able to do), LazSeeker will likely report something that is slightly too high.

In reality, the UAI is calculated from scaled raw marks. No info is released about these raw marks, so LazSeeker cheats and skips that step, instead calculating the scaled mark directly from the aligned mark that the Board reports. The difficulty of exams and so on does not affect the actual scaling processes, but it could cause a few discrepancies with regard to LazSeeker, as it uses aligned HSC marks.

And to reiterate what Christine said... it's only an estimate anyway.

yikes!
if thats the case for these exams being easier than last yrs,,
im a gonna!!!
:rolleyes:
thnx by the way
:)

oh yeh n i saw ur article in the paper..
good job

this site is one thing that keeps me from studyin so im not gona thank u for that
:p

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Hmm... actually, aligned HSC marks are meant to be comparable across different years.

So, at least theoretically, the difficulty of the exams shouldn't make much of a difference.

Perhaps it won't be too far off after all. Shrug. We shall see.

Durban

I enter in 70 for all my subjects (advanced english, modern history, tourism, environmental science and business studies) and it gave me a uai in the 50's.....
Ive got no idea what marks i'll actually get....BUT i was expecting it to give me a way higher uai estimation

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Considering that the average marks for those courses were 77.4, 74.4, 67.4, 73 and 73.8, and the average UAI is ~66, it's not entirely surprising that you're given a below average UAI when you enter below average marks. :)

Laz, I just got my assessment rank sheet today....
With these ranks, do you reckon it's possible to get a UAI over 80? How likely? I think I perfomed better in the HSC also.

Bio 2/38

Chem 7/26

English (Adv) 53/85

Geography 6/32

Maths 11/62

Maths (ext 1) 13/37

I go to PLC

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I would be very surprised if you didn't get over 80.

Durban

laz ignoring my last post what uai do you think these ranks will get me

environmenal science 1/22
Modern history 4/15
Advanced english 30/50
Business studies 8/19
Tourisn 2/16???

Marty

HSC
i can see hoards of ppl flooding in with there

wot uai will i get laz
i do these subjects

~get out while u still can.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Mmm I don't mind yes/no responses, but I really don't have the time (esp. now when I'm meant to be studying heh) to sit around trying to calculate values. especially when there's documentation and programs out there that can help you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)