Le mauvais usage: Dictionary of French 'Bad Words' and Random Argot (1 Viewer)

chepas

HSC
While Le bon usage of de Grévisse tells us how to use French correctly, here Le mauvais usage tells us how not to use it. Due to popular demand, here is the thread in which we can share findings of French that can offend, yet communicate very succinctly and conveniently. French that can get you slapped, yet get you honoured.

Just remember. Might be an idea to censor stuff in English, as well. While we 'need' to know what it is in the foreign language, the anglophone eye might still take offense. Maybe, in our quest for knowledge of the foul French, we should also develop a sensitivity to the new French words as well, so we will use it only when appropriate!!!. Remember in your written tasks and responses for French, it is a very good thing to show off your knowledge of French - particularly your knowledge of argot/juron, as it gives your written responses that little touch of Francophone authenticity - but it is also imperative that one composes a text 'appropriate to audience and context'. Modality is still alive, :D.

Prescribed text for study: Merde! The REAL French You Were Never Taught at School - Geneviève, illustrated by Michael Heath, published by Angus & Robertson Publishers.

I'll start off:

se branler - to jerk off/masturbate
se bouffer le nez - to get on each others nerves (Il faut arrêter de se bouffer le nez, vous deux!")
un blaireau - a loser
se foutre a` poil - to strip (apparently very strong)
un pet - a fart
péter - to fart
péter plus haut que son cul - to think too highly of oneself (lit. to fart higher than one's arse.)
péter le feu - to be full of energy​
être maigre comme un clou - to be as thin as a rake

The Ever-Universal 'foutre/ficher'
Perhaps the most useful juron is this verb, foutre or ficher. It has so many meanings that meaning really depends on the construction and in what context it is used. In the 'Merde!' book there is a whole chapter dedicated to the ficher/foutre family. I shall scan this in and post for reference (not till tomorrow. Damn can't post attachments cos IE won't pop popups up :( ).

Last edited:

malkin86

HSC
I thought we already had one of these... :( http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=29201

Oh well, here's some more! :)

En cas de… – in the case/event of…

Etre emballé * l’idée de… - to be wrapped in (the idea of)

Te/vous mettre au courant – to fill you in

Marcher sur/Suivre les pas de quelqu’un - to follow in someone’s footsteps

Faire coup double/faire d’une pièrre deux coups – to kill 2 birds with one stone

Au fur et a mesure – as you go along/ bit by bit

Pas a pas – step by step

C’est le pied ! – that’s great/ feels great !

Au plaisir de te/vous revoir… - hoping to see you again…

Dans l’ensemble – on the whole

Cela ne se fait pas – it’s not the done thing/ unacceptable

Dire que… - to think/say that…

Te/vous mettre * la place de quelqu’un – to put yourself in someone’s shoes.

Last edited:

chepas

HSC
Yeah, I tried to find the slang/argot etc thread but didn't find it. Though this thread has the purpose of being a source of the potty language side of French, a result of listening to the vox populi in another thread....

The 'foutre/ficher' pages from "Merde" I promised, go to this link http://www.angelfire.com/ab8/chepas/frcont2004/ohstrial.html and soon I'll upload it. Très utile.

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
Straight out of our "Prescribed Reading" (HA!) "Merde!"

An arse-licker- un lèche-bottes

A bastard- un salaud

A bitch- une salope

My arse!- mon cul!

To be up shit creek- être dans la merde

To tell someone to f*ck off- envoyer chier quelqu'un

A twit- une andouille

I don't give a f***!- je m'en branle!

A sex maniac- un chaud-lapin (literally; a hot rabbit) :p

To make love in a slow, conventional, unexciting way- faire l'amour a` la papa.

An orgy- une partouse

One who likes to participate in an orgy- un partouzard

F*** off!- Allez-vous faire foutre

Just think of the elaborate scenarios you could conceive for the exams with such language. :D Alas, it'll probably be the generic "On the weekend I went to the cinemas" not "I had a great f*** with my sex maniac". :p

Last edited by a moderator:

chepas

HSC
Hip said:
"On the weekend I went to the cinemas" not "I had a great f*ck with my sex maniac".
LOL....

Peut-être "Le week-end dernier je suis allé au ciné avec ma copine et son amie Marie-Thérèse. Le film qu'on a vu était con, donc on avait une partouse au premier rang. Les gens nous ont rémercié, de leur avoir donné quelque chose d'intéressant a` regarder. Les souvenirs de notre a` trois.... bof, que ce sont géniaux! "

OH SOMEONE'S DEITY I NEED TO GO TO BED... :D I finally managed to get the foutre/ficher pages up. http://www.angelfire.com/ab8/chepas/frcont2004/ohstrial.html

Last edited:

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
Hippy La-Laa said:
I don't give a f*ck!- je m'en branle!
Hmm, alors ça veut dire quelquechose totallement different que ce que Chépas a dit. Chépas pourquoi tu l'a met dans ta sig, c'est drole mais un peu trop libre... ;)

chepas

HSC
Another word about 'foutre', one of the more common usages of which I'm no doubt sure you're already aware is "I don't care / I don't give a damn / I don't give a shit". In it's infinitive form of 'se foutre de' or 'se ficher de'.

Like in Edith Piaf's "Hymne a` l'amour"
Le ciel bleu sur nous peut s'effondrer
Et la terre peut bien s'écrouler.
Peu m'importe si tu m'aimes.
Je me fous du monde entier.
Other examples. "Je me fous de l'anglais". "Eux? Ils se foutent de l'école.". "Je me fiche de cette maudite histoire de circulation".

You can also use the 'en' particle to avoid being repetitive:

Maman: Chéri, tu as oublié ton petit-déjeuner! Faut que tu manges!
Fils: Je m'en fous, maman! Je mangerai plus tard.

shaz said:
c'est drole mais un peu trop libre...
Après la revolution sexuelle bien sûr qu'on est libre :D. Libre jusqu'a` ce qu'on fasse des péchés...

Sérieusement - c'est une citation du film "Sexy Boys", un film qui s'est diffusé il y a qque jours. Dans le contexte c'était vachement drôle

Re: s'en branler. Yeah, verbs change meaning drastically depending on what little bits are added/not added etc. Here, in addition to the 'branler', it is also reflexive (the se) and has a little particle (the 'en'). Think also of 's'en aller' vs. 'aller'. "Je m'en vais" - I'm going away, or better in the imperative "Va-t-en!" - Go away! vs "Je vais" - I'm going. 's'en aller' is while i think of it sounds also a slangy version of going away/parting company.

Last edited:

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
Eh, Chep. Je suis un peu confondue. ça veut dire quoi exactement-"en". Euh, je peux faire des exercices dans Reprise, mais tu sais ce livre n'a pas des reponses.
Je voudrais entendre tes bonne idées:D.

chepas said:
Après la revolution sexuelle bien sûr qu'on est libre :D. Libre jusqu'a` ce qu'on fasse des péchés...

Sérieusement - c'est une citation du film "Sexy Boys", un film qui s'est diffusé il y a qque jours. Dans le contexte c'était vachement drôle
ah d'accord, ^^ mais dans ta sig c'est comme un "self proclamation."

Ps Jude Law est un sexy boy.

chepas

HSC
shaz said:
mais dans ta sig c'est comme un "self proclamation."
Though note that it is in inverted commas, so they aren't my words :). Though I leave to your imagination my intention... :rolleyes:. Jude Law est vraiment sexy?

Alors. "en". I'll talk about grammar in English lest my brain just die.

Do you know the 'en' usage? If you do cool, so you will know, and won't have to read any dodgy explanation from me. But if not, here is my attempt at explaining it -

'en' has quite a few uses. First, it is a word that replaces some stuff to save on repetition. Sort of like in the way that we go:

Shopper: Do you have any cherries?
Grocer: No, I don't have any cherries. vs.

Shopper: Do you have any cherries?
Grocer: No, I don't have any.

In French, 'en', in situations like these is used to replace the 'de' and a noun.

Shopper: Vous avez des cerises?
Grocer: Non, je n'ai pas de cerises. vs.

Shopper: Vous avez des cerises?
Grocer: Non, je n'en ai pas.

In short, it is the way of not sounding repetitive, and replacing the 'de' and a noun.

Also, the replacement of 'de' + the noun occurs anywhere:

J'ai besoin d'un stylo.
J'en ai besoin.

Maman: "Tu veux que je te donne de l'aide?"
Fils: "Non, je n'en ai pas besoin".

(The latter example, what the mum says, is really a round-about way to express oneself, but for purposes of example...)

'En', here, means 'any', or 'some'. Like the cherry example. "No, I don't have any". It also means 'of them', but the brain is shutting down and I can't think of any examples.

NOTE: It is NOT usable with 'de' + verbs, in situations like:

"ll est interdit d'aller a` la plage ce week-end"

because the 'de' functions in a different way, not with a noun.
________

Probably superfluous explanation, that is clear as mud, but hope it helps anyway. :D
_____

Anyway let's come back to the subject at hand, that is, les jurons :).

Last edited:

muzzling

HSC
OKay Ladies and Gents, a few words i picked up on exchange, tres populaire avec les ados..

Nique ta mere! - Mother f*cker (lit. f*ck your mum)

Vas-te faire foutre!! - go f*ck yourself ( as Hip said)

Y me font chier!! - They sh!t me (written correctly : ils me font..)

Putain de merde!! - Holy sh!t / f***ing sh!thouse

Putain de... (insert anything here, name, noun, further insult)!! - f***ing .... !

Enjoy their usage my pretties!

x

EDIT by chepas: Now that 'putain' has been said three times, from here on it it shall be treated as its English equivalent and will be censored. Please oblige in this manner.

chepas

HSC
That's the spirit! Mdr.

Can 'p***in de merde' also be used as a noun? As in "Ce p***in de merde ne marche plus...", or is just an exclamation like "Argh, p***in d'ordinateur"?

Last edited:

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
Merci Chépas, ce que tu as expliqué était en fait trés clair. With the "de" example, one qould replace that with "y aller" right?

et oui, Jude Law est l'homme plus chaud (hoho) du monde.

muzzling said:
Nique ta mere! - Mother f***er (lit. f*** your mum)

P***in de merde!! - Holy sh!t / f*cking sh!thouse

P***in de... (insert anything here, name, noun, further insult)!! - f***ing .... !
ah, ça me revient! Les mots qui m'ont réveillé a` minuit dans un hotel a` Montmartre

chepas

HSC
shaz said:
Les mots qui m'ont réveillé a` minuit dans un hotel a` Montmartre
OMG shazzam c'est excellent! Que tu étais la`, pas le bruit! Mais ça aurait dû être rigolo... Alors shaz - raconte-nous tes histoires de la France dans le "Parlons-nous français" thread! Ça peut être ton petit histoire (malgré qu'il ne s'agit pas de l'enfance... :rolleyes: ).

En ce qui concerne y. What 'y' does is simply replace the a` ("A" accent grave if it looks too dodgy), and is another one of those repetition-of-words saviours. It is like what the 'en' does with the 'de'.

Maman: Mais, tu dois aller a` l'école demain, quoi?
Fille: Je veux pas y aller! J'en ai marre, de l'école!

muzzling

HSC
Chep, RE ta question, je sais pas... G entendu la phrase "p***in de merde' seulement comme 'exclamation'... mais t'as raison avec les mots, 'p***in de..' Tu peux les utiliser pour n'importe quoi.. Comme dans le thread "Parlons-nous le fr ici.." G dit, "Je suis p***in de jalouse!"
Tous comme ca..
P***in de saloppe - f***ing b!tch
P***in de con - f***ing a**hole
P***in de betisse - f***ing stupidness (sorry bout my english)
x

PS - shaz, Je comprends tout a fait! Cet argot se presente tout le temps dans la vie de touts les jours la-bas.. , t'es d'accord?
Moi, j'etais en echange, et pendant mon premier jour avec ma soeur d'accueil, ses amis ont essaye de m'apprendre ces mots mauvais..

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
Oui bien sur. C'est amusant quand nous voyons des gens qui ne parlent pas vraiment bien anglais (eg Taxi Drivers...) mais qui pourraient crier "ah! Fcuk! Shit you c**T! Hoho, j'apprecie "road rage."

En plus, je pense que tu voulais dire "stupidity" (as opposed to stupidness), mais nous avons compris quand même. :D

Aussi...hoho! Oui ta nouvelle avatar(feminine?) est assez mignon, tu l'as trouvé ou`?

chepas

HSC
Haha c'est chouette on vient d'obtenir le Custom Status aussi :). Nous les n00bs grandissons!

Thanks for the clarifications re: p***in (de), muzz :).

I wish I could remebmer where I heard/saw 'p***ain de ....' used as a noun... it's annoying me now.

Last edited:

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
je te nique, pedial - f*** you, faggot.

malkin86

HSC
for the violent...

gifle - slap

fessée - spank

Last edited:

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
Hahaha. I'd forgotton about this thread. I'm in the mood for a bit of kinky french banter.

'Spank' is a word I shall need. Thankyou Malkin! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)