Leadership??? (1 Viewer)

Marc26

HSC
Should I stand for a being a prefect or captain because it is a lot of work at my school, we have to complete simple and complex tasks...
WHAT are the benefits of being a leader in your school, all I've heard is it looks good on your resume...you get more respect..etc.
Opinions anyone?

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
It's fun.

I enjoyed it when I was doing it and it honestly wasn't *that* much work, it's easy enough to keep on top of.

Go for it.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd encourage it, it's a fun opportunity in senior school.

I'm a prefect, it's not much work at my school. The captains and vices do the bulk of the work.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Should I stand for a being a prefect or captain because it is a lot of work at my school, we have to complete simple and complex tasks...
WHAT are the benefits of being a leader in your school, all I've heard is it looks good on your resume...you get more respect..etc.
Opinions anyone?
This is quite important.

A lot of the skills you learn as prefect or captain often fall under the realm of communication and people skills. These are things which are carefully looked at when applying for jobs, especially in the early stages of your working life. It's also great for your confidence.

SunnyScience

HSC
The workload is quiet minimal :) Although you can make it into as much of a work load as you want - it's your choice. Go for it. Besides, all the Year 7's gaze at you like a God as the sun reflects off the platinum coating of your badge into their squinting eyes.

(School Prefect 2012)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Leadership = Power. Prestige. Position.

Personally, I loved wearing my "House Vice Captain" badge everywhere at school. The important thing is I took the position very very seriously, and wasn't there just for a badge. If you do it just for a badge... that's... not good.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I have to admit that being prefect in Year 12 really helped set it apart from the rest of my high school years. I relished the responsibility afforded to me after being a somewhat passive participator in extracurricular activities (relative to the most active). One of the best things I ever put my hand up to do.

Ryan_T90

HSC
I'm the captain of my school, it's very fun and enjoyable :) The skills I have already learned is fantastic. The workload for me is quite heavy as I make it heavy as I like involving myself in and around the school. It is also a heavy workload as I am pretty much single handedly organising my schools upcoming 50th Anniversary.

It's very interesting getting involved in the other aspects of school you wouldn't normally see if you were a student. For example, I am always looking at the financial reports and what not of our school and how we can budget. In a way, you're almost on the same level as a staff member.

Although it is tough, it is definitely going to look good on my resume having experience in organisational work and communication skills. However, don't run for captain / prefect if you just want your resume to look a little more fancy, you need to have the passion and have a driving force.

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm the captain of my school, it's very fun and enjoyable :) The skills I have already learned is fantastic. The workload for me is quite heavy as I make it heavy as I like involving myself in and around the school. It is also a heavy workload as I am pretty much single handedly organising my schools upcoming 50th Anniversary.

It's very interesting getting involved in the other aspects of school you wouldn't normally see if you were a student. For example, I am always looking at the financial reports and what not of our school and how we can budget. In a way, you're almost on the same level as a staff member.

Although it is tough, it is definitely going to look good on my resume having experience in organisational work and communication skills. However, don't run for captain / prefect if you just want your resume to look a little more fancy, you need to have the passion and have a driving force.
This is a good point. Once the school's leadership team is assembled, it's pretty easy to tell which students take the role seriously. By the end of the year, the leaders who took the opportunity and used it to their full potential always have great things to say about the whole experience. On the other hand, the stragglers didn't really have much good to say.

The mantra "you only get out as much as you put in" certainly applies in this case.

theycallmebob

HSC
I heard you get 2 bonus ATAR marks??

that was from a friend. doesn't sound realistic to me

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I heard you get 2 bonus ATAR marks??

that was from a friend. doesn't sound realistic to me
Decisions like that are up to a certain university if they wish to award bonus points for things like this. To be honest, I've never actually come across a university granting extra points for leadership positions but I may wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)