Learning a language and teaching English (1 Viewer)

Buj

HSC
I want to learn languages and live overseas, teaching English (or whatever). I want to do Arts at USYD, full time (3 years). I will get the ATAR requirement. Is it possible for me to major in two languages, Chinese and Korean? If I do, does that mean I am studying both of these languages concurrently? Is the workload from two language majors too much? I'm more specifically interested in learning the languages than teaching English, but I do want to live overseas and I figure teaching English might be a good way to do that.

Is Arts the right course for what I want to do? Is there a better/more specific course? I cannot achieve the ATAR requirement for Arts (Languages).

I'm not averse to doing a TESOL course at TAFE or some outside/other uni course that will give me specific language teaching qualifications. Thanks

EDIT: I will be learning languages from scratch, bar a very basic grasp of Korean. Also, if you're going to suggest a different course/degree, know that my ATAR will probably max out at low 90s. Also, pls no dead horse beaters - "arts is shit/useless"

Last edited:

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
Can't answer about your uni course but
tbh it's not required to know korean or chinese in order to teach english over in china or korea. But obvs it'll be more easier if you can hold a basic conversation. Most organisations that hire english teachers, just require a uni degree (any degree)in an english speaking country. Usually, these organisations will provide you some sort of training for teaching (not really sure on that part)

Buj

HSC
Yea, I've looked into it and the organisations I've found that do placements offer some kind training, you're right there. And yea, I know it's not a requirement to learn the language, but like I said in the post, I want to learn the languages and live overseas, and I thought teaching English might be a good way to do that (should have made that a bit clearer, my bad). A desire to teach English isn't what is driving me to learn languages. Thanks though

Last edited:

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
just go overseas and do an intensive language course in language schools. It's actually pree intensive, like in 1 year, you hold a convo if you began from nothing.
Not only is it faster than unis here, it's probably cheaper too. 1 year of intensive school probably equates to 2-3 years in uni. And the fact you can immerse yourself in the language.
And i also think it's not wise learning 2 languages at once (unless you know japanese which you would already have a base for chinese and korean)
But if you think you can do it, then by all means

Buj

HSC
Alright, I'll look into something like that. Thanks for the suggestion. And yeah, I don't know anything other than English and basic Korean atm, and I don't mind taking my time learning languages, so I'll see how I go in terms of being able to handle two.

You've made me realise I have enough time after the HSC to worry about this stuff, I'm getting too worried now for no real reason. Thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)