• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Learning the content of 2UMathematics without taking the course. (1 Viewer)

Mjayy

HSC
Greetings, BOSers.

I decided far too late that I wanted to apply for University courses that had 2UMathematics as a pre-req, and as a result of assuming I wouldn't "need it", did not choose it in my course selections. D'oh! Determined not to let that hinder me, I plan to take the Mathematics bridging course next year - however I know that a few months of math won't give me the same grounding as if I had actually done the course.

I'm planning to self-teach the material I should have covered over years 11 and 12 and take a few tutoring lessons to make sure I'm on the right track, making progress, etc. Some Uni friends have also agreed to mentor me. I have "Excel HSC 2 UNIT MATHS" which contains both the preliminary and HSC courses, thorough summaries of theory, exam questions and worked solutions. I'm going to download some other past HSC papers and try and find some other text books that cover the 2007 syllabus as well.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions about what else I could do? Any textbook reccomendations? Other ideas I haven't considered? Constructive criticisms welcome!

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Because you not being tested and ranked among the state, in this case I think Maths in Focus would be pretty good if your going to 'self-teach' the course. The questions are simple and pretty straight foreward and minimise frustration when your trying to build your math skills. They also have challenge exercises if you like a challenge. :)

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
They might be, if you hadn't learnt the course in class, unless you've got a good tutor or are fairly capable in maths. :)

menelaus

HSC
do some past papers for 2 unit, especially if u have that book of past papers, then u can have questions and answers, and whatever u dont understand get a teacher or tutor to explain it. 2u maths is pretty much calculus-based, so its not as if there are heaps of areas to cover.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
i agree Maths in Focus would be a good place to start if you get both book 1 (prelim) and book 2 (hsc). if you're after past papers (with worked solutions) the success one books have it all covered - although a tutor would also be a good idea as they could guide you through the more tricky questions and provide some little extra help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)