• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Learning to drive a manual (1 Viewer)

bv

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
... :confused:

how long have you been learning to drive?
lol not very long.. im getting better now but my parents have confused me 2 much..
im just ignoring them now and teaching myself..
coz otherwise i would have to "accelerate" and "slow down" at the same moment... and i dont no how i can master both commands at the same time. :s

lol

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
bv said:
lol not very long.. im getting better now but my parents have confused me 2 much..
im just ignoring them now and teaching myself..
coz otherwise i would have to "accelerate" and "slow down" at the same moment... and i dont no how i can master both commands at the same time. :s

lol
hahaha you have asian parents don't you.

bv

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
hahaha you have asian parents don't you.
lol
nar
but they drive like they r
then when i make one mistake i get told off
lol

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
1 day max. Hell, I learnt to drive manual in one night driving my friends car because he was pissed.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Riet said:
1 day max. Hell, I learnt to drive manual in one night driving my friends car because he was pissed.
lol I didn't have the balls to let my friend touch my car, probably woulda been safer if I drove it home.

stebbo

Mad scientist
HSC
It took me roughly 10 hours to get the basic feel for the clutch right, like understanding what the friction point is and when the clutch engaged etc. But after that it was smooth sailing.

The most difficult thing about manuals is changing cars, once you've got used to your own car (or parent's car, whatever the case may be), it can be very daunting to get into another car and drive that smoothly.

If you're looking for an easy manual to learn in, the older style Toyota Landcruiser utes are excellent. Especially the diesel variety. Mountains of torque and a low gearing, in fact, you don't even need to use the accelerator on some hills to get going and crawl up it.

nessaja27

HSC
MiuMiu said:
For those who drive a manual car....how long did it take to perfect your take offs and hill starts?

Im not looking for show-offs, I want a realistic timeframe it takes before you were confident that you aren't going to stall at traffic lights!

back when i did my manual license which was 2 years ago now,
it took me 6 hours to get it right.
and thats with alot of commitment.
always listen to your teacher, they know alot more than you do.
ive taught my girlfriend and mum how to drive manual.
and when you get good, you can start teaching family and friends.

samwell

HSC
honestly you can learn to do it well in about 5-6hrs but then your feet are as tired as hell and they hurt bad

lsatgangsta

HSC
took me a while longer. probably a few months to really feel comfortable driving in traffic, stop and go, etc

hills still get me every once in a while:mad1:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)