Leaving early - how do you DO it?! (1 Viewer)

China Doll

HSC
I am never able to comprehend why so many students choose to leave the exam an hour - 1/2 an hr early. honestly, how is it that you feel so confident with your answers that you feel you can spare the extra hour or so? certainly at 12 i was beginning to get a little bored myself but there's always so much more you can write! right?
of course perhaps some of you are so well prepared that you really can answer the questions within 2 hours. i don't know!:eek:

Kelly47

HSC
Or is some cases (at least mine) we have not studied enough or don't know enough to write anything else? lol. And if I can't remember something, the more I try to remember, the more of it I forget... so meh. I left 1/2 hour early... there were a few people who left after only an hour at my school.
And then there are those who probably don't care.

China Doll

HSC
this is true of course. i don't know - i don't think i'd like to leave early during an exam even if i felt i had nothing else to write - what if you had remembered something! i know my ancient teacher was particularly shitty with the kids who left an hour early or so ... in any case, i hope you did well!

jeahsen

HSC
lol i just made this post on the other thread

but yeh if u have extra time, u really should be adding more depth and points in your response, or even check over it!
It's not that bad waiting an extra hour even for you hsc...

although they do take fkn long to collect papers...

HSC guy

HSC
i left with about 20 minutes left and i was the last one there, as for the people that finish like half an hour or an hour early i dont think their leaving out of arrogance/confidence but because they've doing everything they can, and the people who leave as soon as an hour is up are the ones who don't care about their results. yeh so i don't think its a brilliance thing, i think its just people not knowing any more from lack of study

velzee

In silence let him lie.
HSC
we had about 8/13 of us leave just in the first hour and only two of us stayed till the end. Not fair on the people who need their uai, since their marks will scale us down.

silverfiction

HSC
why do you consider leaving the exam early as a failure ?

maybe they studied really hard and therefore were able to answer the questions with ease.

doesnt nessecarily mean they will get a bad mark.

:mad:

Kew

HSC
Even my friend who was ranked #1 in the class said she finished ~20-30 minutes prior to finishing - & this is coming from a 90%+ scorer in exams!

She was even surprised herself, with many many booklets - I was amazed how she did it!
I managed to last until the last minute with all mine, & made a gigantic sigh of relief right after my last word was written. :) Ah.

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
top thread...
i always wondered how people can just leave early...wouldnt you be kicking yourself if you stepped out the door only to remember that one of your answers was incorrect or you missed out on a point...

i know i would...

like 'jeahsen' said early...you should be adding more depth or touching up on your responses

Tula08

HSC
we're not allowed to leave early at my school in any of our exams, except i dont understand i was writing right up till the end and almost ran out of time!!?? out of the 30 people in the classroom id say only 1/3 of us fiished early and if so only by a few minutes max.

X

xeuyrawp

silverfiction said:
maybe they studied really hard and therefore were able to answer the questions with ease.
The issue here is that there is always more to write. Unlike school essays where you're limited to wordcounts, in the HSC, you're only limited to time.

People should aim to make the most of the wordcounts and the time given.

silverfiction

HSC
PwarYuex said:
The issue here is that there is always more to write. Unlike school essays where you're limited to wordcounts, in the HSC, you're only limited to time.

People should aim to make the most of the wordcounts and the time given.
its a fact that if you try to put more than the question asks into your answer then you'll start going off track which is a waste of time and could reflect on the marks of your answer.

i always finish my ancient history paper half an hour early and i'm ranked second in the class at about a 90%

so are you telling me that i'm not writing enough?

there is always the case that people can write faster than others.

and in answer to what the person with the username 'bobet' said "No matter what you say, also external marks do not stand as a very valid point"

that is wrong because your external mark is a reflection on how you perform throughout the year so how is that not valid?

Last edited:

Sangfroid

HSC
I think it's pretty much limited to prodigies and those who have one-off wonders who can leave early without maximising their marks in the time left.

I think that it's ridiculous leaving early, personally. Time is money, so if you wouldn't use it to maximise your marks on any test, why spend it for whatever when they leave early?

silverfiction

HSC
Sangfroid said:
I think it's pretty much limited to prodigies and those who have one-off wonders who can leave early without maximising their marks in the time left.

I think that it's ridiculous leaving early, personally. Time is money, so if you wouldn't use it to maximise your marks on any test, why spend it for whatever when they leave early?

well unfortunately we're not even allowed to even leave early because they have to collect all the papers together, so i had to like sit there for half an hour.

but i just went over my papers and checked some mistakes that i had in punctuation, grammer and my expression.

so i guess it was alright... :lol:

X

xeuyrawp

silverfiction said:
its a fact that if you try to put more than the question asks into your answer then you'll start going off track which is a waste of time and could reflect on the marks of your answer.
Did I say anywhere that you should go off track? :-/

i always finish my ancient history paper half an hour early and i'm ranked second in the class at about a 90%
How's that at all evidence? What you do and don't do really isn't a concern.

so are you telling me that i'm not writing enough?
No, how could I tell you that? I've never seen what you've written.

and in answer to what the person with the username 'bobet' said "No matter what you say, also external marks do not stand as a very valid point"

that is wrong because your external mark is a reflection on how you perform throughout the year so how is that not valid?
They clearly meant internal marks.

HSC guy

HSC
Wait, some people are in exam centres where they're forced to stay the full 3 hours? That isn't fair, we are ment to all be examined under the exact same exam conditions, how else are you going to get a proper direct comparison between every student in the state which in the end is the main point of external exams. I am MAD. I think i'll have a word to bos about this.

X

xeuyrawp

HSC guy said:
Wait, some people are in exam centres where they're forced to stay the full 3 hours? That isn't fair, we are ment to all be examined under the exact same exam conditions, how else are you going to get a proper direct comparison between every student in the state which in the end is the main point of external exams. I am MAD. I think i'll have a word to bos about this.
Firstly, they don't care what you think, to be honest. I'm sure it sounds mean, but just to save your time with having 'a word to them', don't bother.

Secondly, who cares if they're forced to stay. :-/

Last edited by a moderator:

silverfiction

HSC
PwarYuex said:
How's that at all evidence? What you do and don't do really isn't a concern.
are you crazy? how is that not evidence? the fact that i'm doing well determines that i write enough.

anyway my main point is: just because other people take 3 hours to finish doesnt mean that people who finish earlier are at any disadvantage except for those who dont even try.

besides i'm not going to argue with you anymore because who the hell cares how long it takes to finish? the point is the marks and quality over quantity.

end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)