Lectures & Tutes (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Just wondering...is it normal to have tutes before lectures (on the same day or on consecutive days), or should you have it the other way around, so you have the lecture and then the tute to reinforce what you learned in the lecture?

sunny

meh.
HSC
It really depends on the pace of the lectures - sometimes tutes cover the material from the previous week, some over the current week. I prefer to have tutes after at least one lecture from that week, gives me a chance to ask questions about the lecture.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
I think the tutes is always about the week before, i.e. last week's lecture. The order of lecture and tutes is therefore irrelevant.

Also, attendance to lectures is not neccesary for most subjects to obtain a good mark, while attendance to tutes is a must if you are in a subject where they check homework or count attendance/participation as grades. So reserve your best times for tutes, and lecture can come second.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
MAICHI said:
I think the tutes is always about the week before, i.e. last week's lecture. The order of lecture and tutes is therefore irrelevant.

Also, attendance to lectures is not neccesary for most subjects to obtain a good mark, while attendance to tutes is a must if you are in a subject where they check homework or count attendance/participation as grades. So reserve your best times for tutes, and lecture can come second.
I checked out the timetables for 2006 and there aren't any Commerce lectures on early in the morning (~9am) for S1 which kinda sucks, coz at least if I was late in the morning it wouldn't matter as much if I missed the first few mins...it seems only tutes start at 9am.

When do you guys usually start and finish each day?

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I checked out the timetables for 2006 and there aren't any Commerce lectures on early in the morning (~9am) for S1 which kinda sucks, coz at least if I was late in the morning it wouldn't matter as much if I missed the first few mins...it seems only tutes start at 9am.

9am? I think only first year math start that early. I can't really remember when I started or finished.

I don't know why you would want to go to uni that early, maybe you live really close and get up early? But you can always go home early in those late lectures.

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
if your FT you can quite easily fit it to 3 days a week, do so, its really good having 4 day weekends! =D

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
In 2nd session i started usually at 11am and would finish at 4, with breaks in between. I found it a lot more manageable than starting early and finishing early (i went 9-2 in 1st semester) - you get to sleep in and the trains are a lot less crowded...

re: lectures/tute times it doesn't really matter as people have said

kaitoufion

HSC
It doesn't matter whether tut comes first or lecture comes second.

Your 1st lecture will definitely start before your 1st tutorial because during your first week of semester there will be only lectures and no tutorial.

What you learn in Week 1's lecture will be revised in your Week 2's tutorial. So it doesn't matter AT ALL~ ^_^

Just choose the ones that fit your timetable.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Sharpshooter said:
if your FT you can quite easily fit it to 3 days a week, do so, its really good having 4 day weekends! =D
I heard that some people can actually fit it in 2 days.

Affinity

HSC
what matters is that the attendance times suits you, order doesn't matter much

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Ok, cool.

Yea, I was thinking of trying to start early and finish early, but given that I live on the North Shore that's probably not a good idea :p

So maybe a 10am start and a 3-4pm finish?

Does anyone here do Com/Law with a 3-day timetable?

EDIT: Btw. when do we choose our session times/timetable...is it on enrolment in a couple of weeks' time or later on towards the start of semester?

Last edited:

mojako

HSC
oo ur doing comm/law? it'll be the same with FF lol

u can choose timetable when u enrol / accept ur offer.. or later.. whatever u want but sometimes some classes might be full by then
but sometimes they have 1 or 2 classes which don't have the time yet, and they'll list the time later on
so best thing is to choose early, then go back after a few weeks and see if there's a better class.. dont delete ur existing class when ur checking out the other clases coz if its full u cant get it again.

if u do first yr maths (like if u do b eng / b comm), if it doesnt make ur timetable bad, choose tutes at the end of the week coz sometimes (not often) they're on the week's topic... and u can ask ppl about the high maths q's from the previous tutes if u want

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
mojako said:
if u do first yr maths (like if u do b eng / b comm), if it doesnt make ur timetable bad, choose tutes at the end of the week coz sometimes (not often) they're on the week's topic... and u can ask ppl about the high maths q's from the previous tutes if u want
Oh that reminds me, tutes for maths are better at the end of the week - more time to study for those regular class tests :)

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
sunny said:
Oh that reminds me, tutes for maths are better at the end of the week - more time to study for those regular class tests :)
Yes that's a very good advice, this man tells the truth.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Btw. I just noticed that lectures go for a full hour, so you might be in a bit of trouble if you have consecutive lectures/tutes. Do tutors wait for you if you're late...I'm guessing lecturers don't?

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Btw. I just noticed that lectures go for a full hour, so you might be in a bit of trouble if you have consecutive lectures/tutes. Do tutors wait for you if you're late...I'm guessing lecturers don't?
Most lectures finish 10-20 mins early, the 2 hour finance lecture sometimes finish 40+ mins early.

ReNcH, I think you worry too much about small things, with 99.95 UAI, you should breeze through uni.

gman03

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
You should check whether the location between the tut and lec venue is close by. Generally the distance between Central Lecture Block and Matthew Theatre is roughly the "ideal maximum distance". If you have a lec at Matthews and a Tut at Quad then it is a no-no.

mojako

HSC
lol i had lecture in biomed theatre then another lecture in applied science
walking is good for u lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)