Lectures & Tutorials (1 Viewer)

starrysky

HSC
I'm starting a BA (Psych) this year, and have crammed all my lectures on Thursdays, so is it better to have tutorials scheduled earlier in the week or on Fridays?

amythyst

HSC
hey,
i find it easier to have the lectures first and the tutes after...the lecture is generally the lecturers interpretation of the readings and then the tute is where u get to discuss the weekly readings :)
hope the info helps

starrysky

HSC
Ah ok, thanks guys. Tutorials usually go over material from the previous week though, right?

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
starrysky said:
I'm starting a BA (Psych) this year, and have crammed all my lectures on Thursdays, so is it better to have tutorials scheduled earlier in the week or on Fridays?
4 lectures in one day??
Ouch, that's either going to hurt your back carrying 4 textbooks, hurt your brain trying to concerntrate or if it was me I'll probably end up not going at all after week 3.

If you're still going ahead with lectures all in one day, you should schedule tutorials for earlier in the week, as you'll probably want Friday to be a day of sleep.

starrysky

HSC
Yeah, heh. They're actually three consecutive lectures (the one for my Psychology unit is two hours) in the same theatre, but now I'm thinking of spreading everything over Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, since I have a lecture for my elective unit on Wednesday too.

But thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. :)

krisspy

HSC
wow im confused...I though lectures is where you listen to your professor talk about the subject and tutes is where you go and get worksheets and do exercises.

Can someone tell me exactly what happens in a tute and a lecture? and is it ok to have a tute before a lecture

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Lectures are where you get information, where they will just talk to you about what you need to learn and they teach stuff. Tutes is where your in smaller class sizes and you get to ask the tutor questions about the lecture, you may also be given homework in lectures to be completed in tutes, etc. It's alright to have a tute before a lecture because you will be going over the previous lectures work, that's why there aren't usually any tutorials for week one as you haven't been given anything in the lectures.

krisspy

HSC
ah thnx wooz, oh and one more thing about the lectures on the timetable...for eaxample 200237 Mathematics for engineers and other subjects has lectures for 3pm-5pm and 6pm-7pm are we suppose to attend those two sessions? Is that like an hour lunch break or one is for part time students or something?

starrysky

HSC
krisspy said:
ah thnx wooz, oh and one more thing about the lectures on the timetable...for eaxample 200237 Mathematics for engineers and other subjects has lectures for 3pm-5pm and 6pm-7pm are we suppose to attend those two sessions? Is that like an hour lunch break or one is for part time students or something?
No. You only register for one lecture and one tutorial per week for each subject that you do.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
That may apply to you since your an arts psyc student where you have one lecture one tutorial but this is not the case in most other fields so please be careful of what you post.

krisspy said:
http://platformweb.uws.edu.au/pweb_...roup=DAY&campus=PE&period=Autumn&yr=2008&p=AU &qsubcode=200237&frompg=search

Yes, read your timetable rules.
"Students must attend and register online in the following:
2 x lectures
1 x tutorial

Tutorials begin in week 2, therefore students only attend the lecture in Week 1."

They've given you a break between lectures as they are both compulsory and have broken it up since it is too long for one straight lecture.

Last edited:

krisspy

HSC
Thanks again Wooz,

Is it bad to put your lectures/tutes back to back? like I have a subject that goes from 9:00-11:00 and 14:00-15:00 and another subject that goes from 11:00-14:00.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
krisspy said:
Thanks again Wooz,

Is it bad to put your lectures/tutes back to back? like I have a subject that goes from 9:00-11:00 and 14:00-15:00 and another subject that goes from 11:00-14:00.
It's your choice the bad thing is you could be late for your next lecture/tute but they normally finish a little early so yeh you'll have to eat, etc on the go.

Im stuck at uni on Monday from 9-1pm no breaks and wed 9-4pm no breaks, it really sucks, your prob gonna end up mentally fatigued by the end of the day.

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
krisspy said:
It's not advised, especially in first year when you're just settling into Uni.
Also especially if you have a short attention span (like me), you could end up drifting off during class, so potentially wasting your own time, money, effort and risking a fail grade. But if you think you can hack 6 hours in a row for 14 weeks, then go for it.

OMGRX7

HSC
could i hijack this thread and asks then what is a practical, since there is tut and lectures...since i do engineering theres lots of practical

Namlet

The Yellow Pirate!
HSC
Monday 8:00 - 11:00
then some other time in the afternoon

Wednesday 10:30 - 19:30

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
OMGRX7 said:
could i hijack this thread and asks then what is a practical, since there is tut and lectures...since i do engineering theres lots of practical
Practicals will be those hands on classes where you will prob experiment with CAD software, theorise, view use and exp with eng materials, design things etc. It really depends on what type of eng you do.

HSC
tutorials are where you review the lectures, for example do questions on mechanics and all that stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)