Legal Studies CRIME essay Predictions. (1 Viewer)

coz707

HSC
It's useless trying to predict the other essays because
a) There's so many options for everyone and
b) You always get a choice.

However the crime essay is normally quite specific, and everyone must do it, so I though I'd get this thread going.

So far the BOS has asked:
  • Investigation - 2014
  • Sentencing and Punishment (Discretion) - 2013
  • Courts - 2012
  • Whole topic (tension) - 2011
  • Penalties - 2011 Specimen

While the CSSA trial did ask about Investigation this year, it's unlikely to be asked as it was in the 2014 HSC paper.

So far the "syllabus areas" that remain to be asked about are The Nature of Crime (very unlikely to be asked), The Criminal Trial Process, Young Offenders and International Crime.

All of those should be good except if it's international crime, I would definitely struggle with a whole essay on that.

Thoughts?

happyhunter

HSC
I'm rolling for compliance and non-compliance of international law yolo

Either that or Young Offenders

But as StudyToDeath said. Don't rely on predictions haha just study everything

aanthnnyyy

HSC
International law is actually pretty unlikely because it will provide an advantage to those who do world order.

Last edited:

dinotropical

HSC
From what I have seen from past papers 2011-present it can either be compliance and non compliance, moral and ethical standards, law reform, effectiveness of criminal trial process, effectiveness of different types of penalties and diversionary programs, effectiveness of dealing with young offenders and international crime. My money is on young offenders but other than that and international crime the other questions are pretty generic and adaptable. Also comparing the treatment of young offenders and adult offenders was the question in the independent trial this year so I don't know what that really means.

zachary99

HSC
N/A
any tips for it were on compliance and non compliance? bit of a dodgy question

dinotropical

HSC
any tips for it were on compliance and non compliance? bit of a dodgy question
There several things you can talk about as it's extremely open ended but you can mention: computer offences and how it contributes to transnational crime and harder to achieve compliance in that area, youth justice conferences ensuring compliance with young offenders and drug courts allowing alternate penalties to reduce recidivism

zachary99

HSC
N/A
There several things you can talk about as it's extremely open ended but you can mention: computer offences and how it contributes to transnational crime and harder to achieve compliance in that area, youth justice conferences ensuring compliance with young offenders and drug courts allowing alternate penalties to reduce recidivism
cheers

jakewist

HSC
Fingers cross for international crime so i can incorporate my world order stuff :D
Dont want young offenders.

coz707

HSC
What would you talk about in an international crime essay?
Extradition and ICC are all I can think of.

jakewist

HSC
Some that stuff that pops in my head :

International measures to deal with international crime:
-The role of UN and ICJ - effectiveness and ineffectiveness of it
-Non legal mechanisms such as NGO's and the media
-ICC
-Ad Hoc Tribunal
-Regional organisations (NATO, EU)

Domestic measures dealing with international crime:
-Role of domestic law such as in Australia and how it is used to fight international crime (human trafficking.. slavery etc..) - the effectiveness and ineffectiveness

zachary99

HSC
N/A
my essay will be something like this:

Intro

ICC (international measure)
INTERPOL (international measure)
AFP (domestic response)
Australian Crime Commission (domestic response)

Conclusion

hammyhazza

HSC
I was thinking maybe a moral ethical standards question surrounding young offenders?

spatula232

HSC
I honestly don't understand why they test crime as a couple of MC and one long response. It isn't even really testing one's understanding of the course, just one particular aspect that may suit one student over another. It'd be much fairer if they did short answers like there is for human rights imo, that way testing one's overall knowledge.

Those feels when HSC Legal Studies doesn't achieve justice...

aanthnnyyy

HSC
I honestly don't understand why they test crime as a couple of MC and one long response. It isn't even really testing one's understanding of the course, just one particular aspect that may suit one student over another. It'd be much fairer if they did short answers like there is for human rights imo, that way testing one's overall knowledge.

Couldn't have said it any better myself!

zachary99

HSC
N/A

Preach it, so hit and miss

zachary99

HSC
N/A
I was thinking maybe a moral ethical standards question surrounding young offenders?
Thats a pretty good guess i reckon! incorporates a theme and challenge into a topic area (seems to be the trend over the past 2 years)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)