Legal Studies Question (1 Viewer)

181jsmith

HSC
"Examine the criminal investigation process in NSW and assess the powers of police in this process"

What are your opinions on the powers of police in this process?
How should i structure this essay? thanks.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Quite easy,

Do you agree with the power yes or no.

Then once you have your opinion start forming arguments.

Presto your done

My personal opinion is that they could use more power however it caan be abused quite easily

181jsmith

HSC
Should i build on a specific opinion like yes or no? or a mixed one like sometimes yes, sometimes no- depends,etc.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Depends how your teacher marks. I am generally bias in writing my essays and i get full marks

181jsmith

HSC
it seems easier to be bias as you dont need arguments for both- why do you think police dont have enough power than they already have?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Think about all the restricitions they must follow, think about what they cannot do. It really is alot and when you have decent well behaved police they really do need that extra power.

Imagine if you were a police dude and you saw a young child commit a fairly serious crime (Nothing like murder but serious) as a police dude you cannot interview them or anything until they have a lawyer. This drags resources and time which could be better used elsewhere.

Imagine if you were a police dude you can suffer so much crap and you can't do anything about it.

It really isn't only about allowing police to enforce the law better, but extra power should allow them to feel safer and do their job better

tbh you can really talk about anything with this question. Ask you teacher if you should write in a bias fashion or not.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
When your teacher tells you how to write ( bias or not) i will tell you a good way to structure.

Hows legal for you? We are almost finished the crime topic

loaves

HSC
I would generally say not to be too 'bias', just evaluative. For all of my legal responses I always had a conclusion like "Thus, police powers have clearly been effective in the areas of ____ and ____ in the criminal investigative process. However, as seen in the cases _____ and _____ [which I had talked about in my response], it is clear that law reform is needed to prevent the abuse of these powers, such as..." etc etc. (I've deleted legal from my brain so I can't help with any actual cases, sorry!)

But just remember to evaluate and ALWAYS talk about potential for law reform.

loaves

HSC
Imagine if you were a police dude and you saw a young child commit a fairly serious crime (Nothing like murder but serious) as a police dude you cannot interview them or anything until they have a lawyer. This drags resources and time which could be better used elsewhere.
For example, I would say this ^, but follow it up with "However, Australia's obligations under the Convention on the Rights of the Child recognises that the best interest of the child should be paramount when dealing with young offenders; thus, this is a necessary measure."

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I write about both, but in my writing it is clear from the start my opinion.

dest

HSC
Powers of da police = beat da shit out of peaceful protestors

loaves

HSC
I write about both, but in my writing it is clear from the start my opinion.
That's good, but just be careful - apparently most markers are quite left-wing, and although this shouldn't effect their marking, it could be the difference between 14/15 and 15/15.

Good luck to both of you. :)

smik11

HSC
I think you should structure the paragraphs around aspects of police powers. eg. arrest, searches etc.

erespall

Pirate Lord.. Arrr
HSC
use criteria to help with your evaluation. I used CRAPEE.

Compliance
Resource Efficiency
Access
Protection
Enforcement
Equality

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)