length of historical period essays (1 Viewer)

rickn

HSC
How many pages has your teacher been saying to write for this section? We are doing the Julio Claudians and my teacher has been saying write a 10-12 page essay minimum. Seems alot so im just wondering is this the general expectation or have other teachers been saying to write a different amount?

X

xeuyrawp

I hate to be the one who says it, but it totally depends on your handwriting... My handwriting's twice as wide as some peoples, and my word/letter-spacing's big as well.

I'll also point out that I've read a 15 page essay which has just said nothing - no evidence whatsoever, no understanding of the question, clearly no understanding of the topic. The person thought their essay was good because they'd written so much, when it was shit because they actually had been vague and *literally* not mentioned ANY primary evidence!

I would prefer a 5 page essay that only superficially covered all the major points but had explicit evidence for all of them, than a 15 page essay that had no evidence and was 90% waffle.

There's also the point that it doesn't matter - if I say you should be writing 10000 pages, you obviously couldn't do it. If I said 2 pages, you might have extra time which should be spent on the essay. Obviously you need to balance analysis depth and scope with your allocated time.

Do as much as you can by doing a short plan before you write. Then just pump out all the good information as fast as you can. Make sure you think about what you're writing: what you just said, what you're saying, and what you're going to say. Writing quickly is useless if you write a paper that jumps around illogically.

I have fairly big handwriting and went for papers around 15-12 pages long. In a 45 minute exam, I'd now write a lot less (same exams, I'd do about 6-7 pages now) knowing that I'd prefer to be to the point, coherent and just constantly hit the marker with Point->Evidence.

You can't do any more than what you can do, so don't worry to much about pages. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)