Leni Riefenstahl (1 Viewer)

p342i

HSC
How did we all find the questions in concern to Leni?

RainbowBrite

HSC
I liked them :) The main events of her life is nice and easy. The question about "balanced interpretations" I think suited Leni Riefenstahl fantastiscally. Best stuff I've written in the question B side of Leni. Rather proud :)

luv_kin

HSC
its one of those things where u walk out going 'ok i either went realy well or TOTALLY screwed that up' : P
Little worried i spent too much time talking bout WHY she wasnt presented in a balanced way rather than HOW if u get me??

kerfuffle

HSC
I never finished the second question. Damn time management issues.
I can't believe I couldn't remember one of Leni's films, the one that she did on the Nuremberg Party Rally in 1934. I could remember 'Triumph of the Will', 'Olympia' and 'Tiefland', but I couldn't remember 'Victory of Faith'. *smacks head*.

p342i

HSC
kerfuffle said:
I never finished the second question. Damn time management issues.
I can't believe I couldn't remember one of Leni's films, the one that she did on the Nuremberg Party Rally in 1934. I could remember 'Triumph of the Will', 'Olympia' and 'Tiefland', but I couldn't remember 'Victory of Faith'. *smacks head*.
Just to clarify; "Victory of Faith" was about the 1933 party rallies, whilst 'Triumph' was 1934.

dodgyfilokid

HSC
i actually reckon the question was easy...we got almost the same question durin our trials...part b was ace...i did good on that one..:)

p342i

HSC
Well, for question (A) I decided that this section is always the same each year, therefore you would have to be a fool to not learn a narration off by heart, so that you can time it to perfection and balance out her entire life.

This was what I wrote:

Helene Bertha Amalie Riefenstahl was born on the 22nd August, 1902 in Berlin to a middle class family with a patriarchal father and artistic mother whose moderate wealth shielded her from the turmoil of the first world war and its aftermath. At school, Leni excelled in both gymnastics and swimming, whilst undertaking secret dancing classes. She enrolled in the Jutta Klarnt school for expressive dancing where she underwent the tutelege of the ballerina, Eugene Eduardova. Her first performance was Tonhalle, securing her place as a famous European soloist dancer. Her promising career, entailing experimentation with dancing, choreography and music, was setback by injury.

Her subsequent career as a film actor was sparked by her spectation of the film The Mountain of Destiny after which she was cast in Arnold Fanck’s subsequent The Holy Mountain. She further starred in five successive Fanck films all pertaining to the mountain film genre, with Leni playing the female protagonist amid the German alpine regions, performing her own stunts including mountain climbing and skiing.

Leni’s familiarisation with the processes of editing, developing and printing film led to her career as a film director. She directed in Fanck’s absence and eventually signed on as part of the camera crew, where he association with Weimar filmmakers broadened her repertoire. Leni’s career was greatly boosted by the film The Blue Light, which she wrote, produced, directed, edited and starred in. Her philosophy that the film techniques should complement the story itself was reflected in her innovative style, which led to her winning a silver medal at the Venice Biennale film festival.

A major boost to Leni’s career was her association with Hitler whom she first encountered at Sportsplatz, and subsequently met at Wilmershaven. At first refusing to work as a Nazi propaganda filmmaker, saying that it would stifle her creativity in being controlled by the Propaganda Ministry, Leni ultimately did accept the commission for her first Nazi film: Victory of Faith, set about the 1933 Party rallies. The production looked more like a news reel, however Hitler was pleased and so suggested she commence work on a follow up, full feature length film on the 1934 Nuremberg Party Rallies.

The resulting film constitutes her greatest and most infamous work. Triumph of the Will developed a direct loyalty to the Fuhrer through aerial images of his aeroplane casting a shadow across Nuremberg, and the masses giving the Nazi salute. Close up’s of Aryan Children promoted racial superiority and the Hitler Youth, whilst scenes of troop formations sought to promote the order, balance and stability. Segments from the speeches of Hitler, Goebbles, Goring and Hess aimed to publicise Nazi messages, including the labour marches and the social concept of the Volksgemeinschaft. Five months of twenty-hour day editing sessions were rewarded with great success, winning the German Film Prize, a Gold Medal in Venice and the Grand Prix at the Paris World Film Exhibition.

Leni’s third and final Nazi propaganda film, Olympia was centred on the 1936 Berlin Olympics, and has been criticised of promoting the fascist ideal of human perfection. Part one: Festival of the People includes the first ever Olympic torch rally, the opening ceremony and classic events such as Discus and Shotput; while Part two: Festival of Beauty focused on modern events such as swimming and athletics, and features the closing ceremony. Leni utilised telescopic lenses, underwater cameras, catapult systems for moving events and dug pits to capture the backdrop of the sky. Olympia was a success, winning the German Film Prize and Mussolini Cup.

With the outbreak of war Leni accepted a commission to film the German war effort in Poland, however after witnessing the horrific execution of Polish civilians she retired to the German countryside. There she commenced work on Tiefland, utilising gypsy concentration camp prisoners as unpaid extras. Leni maintained contact with Hitler, sending him a telegraph in 1939 congratulating his victory in France, whilst visiting him with her fiancé near the war’s conclusion. The wars end led to Leni’s arrest and interrogation, followed by her nervous breakdown and divorce. Although exonerated of any war crimes, she was declared ‘a Nazi sympathiser’ and so denazified and released.

The 1960’s saw Leni establish a new career in photography: travelling to Sudan to film traditional Nuba tribes. The resulting work was highly acclaimed, and yet criticised for resembling the fascist ideology. In the 1970’s Leni began her final career, filming and photographing underwater marine life until her death in 2003. She was 101 years old.

For question (B)

I thought this suited Leni to perfection, as she the interpretations of her are unfairly unbalanced. I began by throwing in a Arthur Balfour quote, "history is written by the winners" - a conviction compounded by Winston Churchill who claimed he was going to "write himself into history". I went on to say that Leni's assocation with the Third Reich had resulted in her labelling as one of the loser's in history, evidenced by the stigmata of "Nazi Sympathiser". Consequently, history delves into hyprocrisy in its attempt to interpret her; and that this claim is supporter simply in the disparity in both number of prominence of the various interpretations of Mrs Riefenstahl. I therefore supported my argument by presenting five interpretations of Leni, four of them which can be classified as 'negative' and only one that is 'postiive'.

NEGATIVE

Dr Jacquiline Hollingworth

Elllen Cheshire

Andrew G Bonnell

Susan Sontag

POSITIVE

Audrey Salkeld

Therefore, as evident in the inbalance of interpretations.... bla bla bla.

I though the question was suitable for Leni, but limiting. I think it would be hard to mount a case that tried to prove it was balanced. Plus it seems all you could do was compare interpretations; once again Modern History promotes itself as a subject reminescent of science or maths whereby who knows the most and can express it in the most boring way possibly is rewarded; whilst innovation and originality [traits valued in English Adv, Ext 1 and 2; Ancient and Extension History] goes without success.

Still I shouldn't be complaining, I'm assured I will get a high band five if not band six.

This is the end to a terrible relationship between me and modern history.

kerfuffle

HSC
p342i said:
Just to clarify; "Victory of Faith" was about the 1933 party rallies, whilst 'Triumph' was 1934.
Ah, thanks.
Oh, shit, wrote that 'Triumph' was 1935's one. :eek:

BaCC 07~~
HSC
I wonder if "just for fun", BOS would one year set the first part to something ridiculous ike account for her life in the 1970's [Nuba tribes]

Second question suited pretty well to what we've been studying for, i reckon it kinda linked back to the previous arguments of virtues and faults, but having a history extension 1 knowledge certainly helped for this question o.o

the hsc sucks

HSC
p342i said:
Well, for question (A) I decided that this section is always the same each year, therefore you would have to be a fool to not learn a narration off by heart, so that you can time it to perfection and balance out her entire life.

This was what I wrote:

Helene Bertha Amalie Riefenstahl was born on the 22nd August, 1902 in Berlin to a middle class family with a patriarchal father and artistic mother whose moderate wealth shielded her from the turmoil of the first world war and its aftermath. At school, Leni excelled in both gymnastics and swimming, whilst undertaking secret dancing classes. She enrolled in the Jutta Klarnt school for expressive dancing where she underwent the tutelege of the ballerina, Eugene Eduardova. Her first performance was Tonhalle, securing her place as a famous European soloist dancer. Her promising career, entailing experimentation with dancing, choreography and music, was setback by injury.

Her subsequent career as a film actor was sparked by her spectation of the film The Mountain of Destiny after which she was cast in Arnold Fanck’s subsequent The Holy Mountain. She further starred in five successive Fanck films all pertaining to the mountain film genre, with Leni playing the female protagonist amid the German alpine regions, performing her own stunts including mountain climbing and skiing.

Leni’s familiarisation with the processes of editing, developing and printing film led to her career as a film director. She directed in Fanck’s absence and eventually signed on as part of the camera crew, where he association with Weimar filmmakers broadened her repertoire. Leni’s career was greatly boosted by the film The Blue Light, which she wrote, produced, directed, edited and starred in. Her philosophy that the film techniques should complement the story itself was reflected in her innovative style, which led to her winning a silver medal at the Venice Biennale film festival.

A major boost to Leni’s career was her association with Hitler whom she first encountered at Sportsplatz, and subsequently met at Wilmershaven. At first refusing to work as a Nazi propaganda filmmaker, saying that it would stifle her creativity in being controlled by the Propaganda Ministry, Leni ultimately did accept the commission for her first Nazi film: Victory of Faith, set about the 1933 Party rallies. The production looked more like a news reel, however Hitler was pleased and so suggested she commence work on a follow up, full feature length film on the 1934 Nuremberg Party Rallies.

The resulting film constitutes her greatest and most infamous work. Triumph of the Will developed a direct loyalty to the Fuhrer through aerial images of his aeroplane casting a shadow across Nuremberg, and the masses giving the Nazi salute. Close up’s of Aryan Children promoted racial superiority and the Hitler Youth, whilst scenes of troop formations sought to promote the order, balance and stability. Segments from the speeches of Hitler, Goebbles, Goring and Hess aimed to publicise Nazi messages, including the labour marches and the social concept of the Volksgemeinschaft. Five months of twenty-hour day editing sessions were rewarded with great success, winning the German Film Prize, a Gold Medal in Venice and the Grand Prix at the Paris World Film Exhibition.

Leni’s third and final Nazi propaganda film, Olympia was centred on the 1936 Berlin Olympics, and has been criticised of promoting the fascist ideal of human perfection. Part one: Festival of the People includes the first ever Olympic torch rally, the opening ceremony and classic events such as Discus and Shotput; while Part two: Festival of Beauty focused on modern events such as swimming and athletics, and features the closing ceremony. Leni utilised telescopic lenses, underwater cameras, catapult systems for moving events and dug pits to capture the backdrop of the sky. Olympia was a success, winning the German Film Prize and Mussolini Cup.

With the outbreak of war Leni accepted a commission to film the German war effort in Poland, however after witnessing the horrific execution of Polish civilians she retired to the German countryside. There she commenced work on Tiefland, utilising gypsy concentration camp prisoners as unpaid extras. Leni maintained contact with Hitler, sending him a telegraph in 1939 congratulating his victory in France, whilst visiting him with her fiancé near the war’s conclusion. The wars end led to Leni’s arrest and interrogation, followed by her nervous breakdown and divorce. Although exonerated of any war crimes, she was declared ‘a Nazi sympathiser’ and so denazified and released.

The 1960’s saw Leni establish a new career in photography: travelling to Sudan to film traditional Nuba tribes. The resulting work was highly acclaimed, and yet criticised for resembling the fascist ideology. In the 1970’s Leni began her final career, filming and photographing underwater marine life until her death in 2003. She was 101 years old.

For question (B)

I thought this suited Leni to perfection, as she the interpretations of her are unfairly unbalanced. I began by throwing in a Arthur Balfour quote, "history is written by the winners" - a conviction compounded by Winston Churchill who claimed he was going to "write himself into history". I went on to say that Leni's assocation with the Third Reich had resulted in her labelling as one of the loser's in history, evidenced by the stigmata of "Nazi Sympathiser". Consequently, history delves into hyprocrisy in its attempt to interpret her; and that this claim is supporter simply in the disparity in both number of prominence of the various interpretations of Mrs Riefenstahl. I therefore supported my argument by presenting five interpretations of Leni, four of them which can be classified as 'negative' and only one that is 'postiive'.

NEGATIVE

Dr Jacquiline Hollingworth

Elllen Cheshire

Andrew G Bonnell

Susan Sontag

POSITIVE

Audrey Salkeld

Therefore, as evident in the inbalance of interpretations.... bla bla bla.

I though the question was suitable for Leni, but limiting. I think it would be hard to mount a case that tried to prove it was balanced. Plus it seems all you could do was compare interpretations; once again Modern History promotes itself as a subject reminescent of science or maths whereby who knows the most and can express it in the most boring way possibly is rewarded; whilst innovation and originality [traits valued in English Adv, Ext 1 and 2; Ancient and Extension History] goes without success.

Still I shouldn't be complaining, I'm assured I will get a high band five if not band six.

This is the end to a terrible relationship between me and modern history.
its stigma not stigmata. stigmatas some sorta religious thing.
hope you didnt write all that on her career. it said RISE TO PROMINENCE and triumph of the will and following events all happened when she was well and truly famous.
do u get off on being so full of yourself? serioulsy, every post i have read of yours reeks of it. dont u get exam doubt like every other normal person?

btw: i hope u included what bergfilms and korperkulter and expressionism are as well. cos the context of a person is important in understanding them. you know?

p342i

HSC
the hsc sucks said:
its stigma not stigmata. stigmatas some sorta religious thing.
hope you didnt write all that on her career. it said RISE TO PROMINENCE and triumph of the will and following events all happened when she was well and truly famous.
do u get off on being so full of yourself? serioulsy, every post i have read of yours reeks of it. dont u get exam doubt like every other normal person?

btw: i hope u included what bergfilms and korperkulter and expressionism are as well. cos the context of a person is important in understanding them. you know?
n. pl. stig·ma·ta (stg-mät, -mt, stgm-) or stig·mas
A mark or token of infamy, disgrace, or reproach: “Party affiliation has never been more casual... The stigmata of decay are everywhere” (Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.). See Synonyms at stain.

Stigmata yes can mean a religious experience whereby the affected person experiences the wounds Jesus Christ recieved while dying on the cross; i.e. lacerations in their hands and feet.

But as the above definition states [the first to appear on dictionary.com] shows that a stigmata is far more generic than you make out. Stigmata is merely the noun and/or plural form of stigma. So next time you question my grasp of language, make sure you know what your talking about.

I feel sorry for you if you stopped once she had become famous, I really do. Leni's fame continued post-Triumph; and in accordance with the Head fo History at Aloys [a head marker at BOS] I am pretty sure they require you to talk about her entire life. Anyway, I have no doubt that I will be vindicated on the 19th of December.

No, I dont get exam doubt because I am fully aware of both the extent and limitations of my knowlegde. You are pretty pathetic if you think that people who express what they know and wrote on, the very purpose of these forum, are full of themselves then you obviously are either very insecure or are intimidated by people who actually put emphasis on the HSC, which you evidently dont as cited in you display name.

Considering that I have been employed I am a paid tutor in English for HSC this year, whilst doing it myself, I merely try to mimmick that in other subjects.

Maybe you just have tall poppy syndrome?

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
p342i said:
I feel sorry for you if you stopped once she had become famous, I really do. Leni's fame continued post-Triumph; and in accordance with the Head fo History at Aloys [a head marker at BOS] I am pretty sure they require you to talk about her entire life.
The question asked you to talk about your personality's background and rise to prominence. Both phrases are used as headings in the syllabus outline, which pretty much means that you should talk about the dot points under those two headings, and leave out the stuff under Significance and Evaluation, since it's not relevant to the question. They'll hardly take marks away from you for not stopping where you were supposed to, so you'll be fine, but the response by the person you are arguing with will probably stand the same chance of getting top marks as you, since the irrelevant information you wrote probably won't get you any extra marks.

EDIT: Ah, here we go.

Modern History Syllabus said:
2 Background
– family background and education
– early career as dancer and film actor

3 Rise to prominence
– direction of ‘The Blue Light’ 1932
– 1933 meeting with Hitler at Wilmershaven
– ban on Jews working in the film industry
– commission for ‘Victory of Faith’ (Nazi Party rally 1933)

4 Significance and evaluation
– relationship with Hitler
– ‘Triumph of the Will’ and ‘Berlin Olympiad’
– international honours and criticism
– post-war arrest
– 1960s Nuba photography
– controversies in later life
– evaluation: for example Nazi propagandist, feminist pioneer?
So according to the syllabus, anything after 1933 wasn't relevant to Personality Question A.

Last edited:

Fetus Baby

HSC
Asheroth said:
The question asked you to talk about your personality's background and rise to prominence. Both phrases are used as headings in the syllabus outline, which pretty much means that you should talk about the dot points under those two headings, and leave out the stuff under Significance and Evaluation, since it's not relevant to the question. They'll hardly take marks away from you for not stopping where you were supposed to, so you'll be fine, but the response by the person you are arguing with will probably stand the same chance of getting top marks as you, since the irrelevant information you wrote probably won't get you any extra marks.

EDIT: Ah, here we go.

So according to the syllabus, anything after 1933 wasn't relevant to Personality Question A.
Actually she's right, you have to mention everything post-triumph of the will as well. You can get maximum 5 marks for that question if you don't include the later part of her life, I know it says rise to prominence but you simply need to keep going as her success did not stop after her invlovement with the Nazi's did.

p342i, your answer sounds very good, thanks for posting what you wrote, it's good to have that so people can compare, I wish more people did it. But now you've gotten me worried about my critical evaluation.

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
I didn't do Leni. But I find it hard to believe that if the question asks you for a description of the person's BACKGROUND and RISE TO PROMINENCE, you can only get half marks if all you do is talk about their BACKGROUND and RISE TO PROMINENCE. Those syllabus dot points are in there for a reason.

Joel99

HSC
p342i said:
n. pl. stig·ma·ta (stg-mät, -mt, stgm-) or stig·mas
A mark or token of infamy, disgrace, or reproach: “Party affiliation has never been more casual... The stigmata of decay are everywhere” (Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.). See Synonyms at stain.

Stigmata yes can mean a religious experience whereby the affected person experiences the wounds Jesus Christ recieved while dying on the cross; i.e. lacerations in their hands and feet.

But as the above definition states [the first to appear on dictionary.com] shows that a stigmata is far more generic than you make out. Stigmata is merely the noun and/or plural form of stigma. So next time you question my grasp of language, make sure you know what your talking about.

I feel sorry for you if you stopped once she had become famous, I really do. Leni's fame continued post-Triumph; and in accordance with the Head fo History at Aloys [a head marker at BOS] I am pretty sure they require you to talk about her entire life. Anyway, I have no doubt that I will be vindicated on the 19th of December.

No, I dont get exam doubt because I am fully aware of both the extent and limitations of my knowlegde. You are pretty pathetic if you think that people who express what they know and wrote on, the very purpose of these forum, are full of themselves then you obviously are either very insecure or are intimidated by people who actually put emphasis on the HSC, which you evidently dont as cited in you display name.

Considering that I have been employed I am a paid tutor in English for HSC this year, whilst doing it myself, I merely try to mimmick that in other subjects.

Maybe you just have tall poppy syndrome?
No wonder people think guys from our school are uptight fuckwits. Get over youself.

edit: i know who you are dom mcneil, fag.

Last edited:

p342i

HSC
Fetus Baby said:
Actually she's right, you have to mention everything post-triumph of the will as well. You can get maximum 5 marks for that question if you don't include the later part of her life, I know it says rise to prominence but you simply need to keep going as her success did not stop after her invlovement with the Nazi's did.

p342i, your answer sounds very good, thanks for posting what you wrote, it's good to have that so people can compare, I wish more people did it. But now you've gotten me worried about my critical evaluation.
You are the first person to vindicate me, so thankyou very very much.

I agree, half marks if you stop at 'Victory' - but as "the hsc sucks" stated; I don't get exam doubt, so I'm not worried at all. Agreeded, posting what you did is great to compare, it allows you to evaluate your response in absence of any feedback we receive from the BOS. How annoying would it be to underperform and not know why.

p342i

HSC
Joel99 said:
No wonder people think guys from our school are uptight fuckwits. Get over youself.
Oooo, you are so sophisticated Joel.

Aloys sucks because people like you destroy the perception that we are suppose to be "an Academic School" [you know they even have a section devoted to it in the diary?] Its people like you that ensure that each year, 45% of people get below 80 as a UAI; that we are below the state average in English, and dont even make the top 100 schools.

Have fun in whatever you end up doing next year [lol], I hope I never encounter you again.

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
I still have not received an explanation as to why you'd only manage half marks if you answered the question in strict accordance to the syllabus outline. I'm not suggesting that anybody who talked about their personality's later life did poorly, all I am saying is that it should be possible to get full marks if you didn't.

Where's Cem when you need her?

Joel99

HSC
p342i said:
Oooo, you are so sophisticated Joel.
Where did I try to be sophisticated?

p342i said:
Aloys sucks because people like you destroy the perception that we are suppose to be "an Academic School" [you know they even have a section devoted to it in the diary?] Its people like you that ensure that each year, 45% of people get below 80 as a UAI; that we are below the state average in English, and dont even make the top 100 schools.
How do you know this? Either way I am confident in the fact that I will score higher than 80, and will get into Uni next year.

But in your case lets say you get 100 UAI! Congratu-fucking-lations. You left school with NO friends and probably spent every waking hour of the day studying. That's not a very healthy way to live your life Domenic. However it seems that you find some conselation in coming to an internet forum and bragging in every thread about how good you are and trying to demean others who did'nt do as well as you, get over yourself, you arn't Gods gift and will probably die lonely.

p342i said:
Have fun in whatever you end up doing next year [lol], I hope I never encounter you again.
Yes I will have fun, because thats what life is about in the end is'nt it?
Dom, cmon man... I hope that I encounter you again, atleast once, so I can see how successful you became! Yet you still won't have friends, or even come close to getting some pussy. :)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It will be interesting to see how this works out next week when we start marking Modern History (starts on 11th November).

My reading of the question and knowledge of Leni is that her rise to prominence doesn't end in 33 but really only begins there - it is the making of TOW and Olympia that makes her a prominent figure.

The problem with the question is going to be on interpreting the term 'rise to prominence' and how the examiners when designing the question and the marking guidelines have interpreted that question.

I suspect from marking in the past that we will be expecting to at least take her to the end of 38 and the release of Olympia, if not to end 45.

The problem with this question is the use of the term 'rise to prominence' which as has been pointed out is a section of the syllabus and really no one should be penalised if all they discuss are the four dot points under that heading in each personality but I suspect that we will be expecting students to go further than that with the personalities.

We have two points of view expressed in this thread - one is that the concept 'rise to prominence' is restricted to the points listed in the syllabus and the other is that 'rise to prominence' more realistically covers at the absolute minimum the making of the two films that make her a person worth studying in the first place i.e. whether the term in the question meant only the section of the syllabus or a broader judgement as to when she became prominent.

To those of you who have studied Leni I would expect you to actually include the films at the very least but I wouldn't expect you to go past denazification. However when I see the marking guidelines and have been briefed as to what to give marks for it will become clearer - by that time the examination committee will have briefed the senior markers about what they intended with the question and the senior markers will have read a couple of hundred actual responses and be able to advise us markers accordingly.

I wouldn't get too hung up either way as I suspect that students who take the strict interpretation will be compensated - if done properly with more than 5/10 while those who take the broader interpretation will also be compensated.

At this stage I really don't know what the interpretation will be but I suspect a more liberal interpretation and I will certainly raise the issues mentioned here in the briefing session if necessary once I have seen the marking guideline (assuming that I am put on Personalities again)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)