Lib. Studies vs Arts/Science (1 Viewer)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Hey guys.
I understand that Liberal Studies involves a major in arts and science but i dont get how its different to arts/science. I'm thinking about majoring in psychology.

veridis

droog
HSC
liberal studies also has a major(well 6cp short of a major which most people extend to a major) in a language, you can have this as your arts major or serperate. lid studies also requires you to do 1 maths unit(they tell you 1 of 2 suggested courses but if you talk to em any maths unit that fits your sci will do) and an english unit. there isnt much difference really. lib studies is a bit more structured and from what i hear the course coordinator isnt as good for arts/sci. remember as long as you get credit avg you can swap from one to the other with pretty much full credit for completed units if you need.

also have you considered the new arts in psychology course. pretty much arts but lets you treat psych as your main major instead of 2nd one

Generator

HSC
N/A
Sparcod said:
I don't get the difference, generator.
The Bachelor of Arts and Sciences is a three year degree administered by the Arts faculty and the Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Arts is a five year combined degree administered by the Science faculty.

Have a look at the links, tell us which one you were looking at, and then we'll be able to help :).

Last edited:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
A few things to note:
-arts faculty scholarships don't need an interview, science faculty ones do
-if you transfer from a 4 yr degree to a 5 yr degree you only get 4 yrs worth of payment

heh Liam which math unit did you end up doing?
You should've done 1906 and 1907 ;)

veridis

droog
HSC
*may or may not be putting off maths units til later years*
i'll have to do stats for psych in 3rd year anyway and i'm pretty sure i can get that to count instead of the first year stats course they reccomend. i do like streamlining my degree.
i dont even want to begin to think about what 1906/7 involve

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
yeah make sure you know whether it's the b.as or the b.a/s you are choosing. i do the b.as...it was fun while i didn't know what i wanted to do, but now that i do, i want out.

b.as: 3 years, one major in either arts or science, with 12 compulsory cp of socio-legal studies and 12 compulsory cp of economics.

b.a/s: 5 years, a major in both arts and science, with however many compulsory cp of maths.

liberal studies basically is the b.as but instead of slss and econ you do english and a language.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
The good thing about the B Sc/ B A is that if you're really not sure about what you want to do, you have a lot of options. Once you make up your mind, you can drop one of the degees no prob, or keep going with both. Or leave like me. :wave:

gerhard

HSC
you have to stats in second year for psych as well
and i dont do liberal studies but if the requirements say you need to do so many credit points of maths, then doing psych stats does not count. if they just recommend you do so many credit points of math then do whatever you want.

veridis

droog
HSC
i've been told by someone doing no maths but psyc stats that the faculty is quite lenient and wont force you to do maths in 4th year
they like to tell everyone its all mandatory but if you get good marks everything is a lot more flexable

A

adamsaclown

But still if you do psychology from within a Science or Liberal Studies degree, you'll have to do first year MATH subjects, and 2nd/3rd year psyc stats won't get you off

veridis

droog
HSC
read what i said. yes officialy you have to do the junior maths but if you dont do it and do well in the psyc stats they're a lot more flexable

A

adamsaclown

are they doing it as a major in an Arts degree? THEN they won't have to do 1st year maths. But it is a requirement for Liberal studies and Science degrees... its got nothing to do with psyc or whether you do well in second year psyc stats.

veridis

droog
HSC
i know its a requirement, i know it has nothing to do with psyc. i never claimed it did
read what i said
4th year means lib studies, i always say it is an official requirement but also that the faculty gets a lot more flexable in later years and when you have good marks. in the case i'm talking about
because courses arent static and arent always run there's a lot of room for what the req is in different years so you can claim quite a bit of stuff. it would work similar for the english in lib i presume. if you didnt do the 1st year eng option but did other eng you could probably claim it because in a few years the reqs will no longer be around, so everything gets more flexable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)