Liberal control of the Senate (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
erawamai said:
It's just an educated guess. Fielding has been anti government. I mean it is unlikely that a deal struck with 'senator sellout' invovled the government getting all it wanted (one vote) and the Senator not getting anything. I'm sure he didn't strike the deal out of the goodness of his own heart.
It's not an educated guess as far as I'm concerned. I doubt that anyone with even an ounce of political acumen, let alone the PM, would take such a risk, but I'm not suggesting that the abortion issue wasn't discussed at all. As the article suggests, 'family friendly' tax breaks are much more likely (especially in light of recent taxation discussions within the Coalition party room).

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Generator said:
It's not an educated guess as far as I'm concerned. I doubt that anyone with even an ounce of political acumen, let alone the PM, would take such a risk, but I'm not suggesting that the abortion issue wasn't discussed at all. As the article suggests, 'family friendly' tax breaks are much more likely (especially in light of recent taxation discussions within the Coalition party room).
I can go along with that assessment.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
erawamai said:
Whatever the assesment, that Fielding can make a surprise decision on VSU not on the merits of the VSU issue itself but on guarantees on external issues is enough of a rort. How terrible it is that, failing Barnaby, the Government can still work a senate majority through this weak-minded, easily-manipulated sponge.

waf: I don't have absolute confirmation, but I'm working off Fielding's "I can't recall" when asked whether RU486 was discussed. It's confirmation enough for me.

Generator

HSC
N/A
erawamai said:
For some reason I have spent the past few days spiting venom at various people on this forum. Internet forum or not, I really should apologise for the way in which I just dismissed your suggestion. Sorry, iamaware.

Just to elaborate, i consider it to be a risk because the abortion debate is one that few people want to reopen and because some Liberal backbenchers have been pushing for the introduction of this pill for some time. I just cannot see Howard or the cabinet at large (bar a few of the more militant social conservatives) willing to open more than one can of worms just to ram through what is in effect a sideshow bill when it was likely to be passed, if not in its original form, early next year.

Note: sideshow bill = vsu (just in case it wasn't clear).

Generator

HSC
N/A
*bump*

Opposition angered by AWB gag order
Reporter: Michael Brissenden

KERRY O'BRIEN: Today for the first time in memory, the Senate committee system felt the full force of the Government with a Senate majority prepared to defy tradition. Opposition senators expecting to have a crack at senior public servants who might shed further light on possible Government links to the AWB scandal were outraged when the Government's Senate leader Nick Minchin gagged public officials from answering any questions on it. The PM told Parliament Cabinet took the gag decision last Monday on the basis that the issue was before the Cole inquiry, and he again deflected Labor's insistent questioning on corruption in the UN's oil-for-food contracts. The Opposition says it's a cover-up. John Howard maintains his Government has nothing to hide. Political Editor Michael Brissenden reports.

[continued]
Labor angry at Govt move to block AWB questions
Opposition angry over Senate AWB gag

An interesting development, and one more suited to this thread than it is the one specificly discussing the AWB affair.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)