Liberal or Labor? (or other) (1 Viewer)

HSC
Enlightened_One said:
How naive are you? You don't think the media isn't extrapolating and embellishing. Most war critics in the media are complete leftist pacifists (I'm not knocking the left mind), or else are hoping to sell a story. What a boring report it would be if the media reported that US Forces captured their hundredth mass murdering general under Saddam's regime and the locals praised them and all that.
Didn't you study Frontline and learn anything? It's controversy, violence and all that which sells for the media. Stop and have a clear look at the reporter whose word you're taking. He is trying to sell something, even if it's only his own agenda.
I'm quite aware of the bias present in the media and their agenda aswell. My only point was that since the media is our only reasonable source of information its information is all we realistically have to base our arguments on. It is obviously not a very good source but shit happens.

Incidentally i haven't studied Frontline yet, come back to me at the end of term 3.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
The media has always been right leaning on the whole. It's all a huge conspiracy I say...

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
The Brucemaster said:
I'm quite aware of the bias present in the media and their agenda aswell. My only point was that since the media is our only reasonable source of information its information is all we realistically have to base our arguments on. It is obviously not a very good source but shit happens.

Incidentally i haven't studied Frontline yet, come back to me at the end of term 3.

Well Frontline is one of the best units, and sadly enough it is probably completely accurate. My point was that you cannot accept what the press says on face value. You must analyse it critically. Possibly there may be only one true sentence in the entire report. Most of what they say is sensationalised bullshit and it is not always good to base arguments on.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Enlightened_One said:
Well Frontline is one of the best units, and sadly enough it is probably completely accurate. My point was that you cannot accept what the press says on face value. You must analyse it critically. Possibly there may be only one true sentence in the entire report. Most of what they say is sensationalised bullshit and it is not always good to base arguments on.
Adding to what dhj said, it's probably a Zionist conspiracy, too!

As much as you may hate the media, Enlightened, Frontline is nothing more than one particular form of news presentation (and construction). I suggest that you broaden your horizons, because, believe it or not, there are media organisations out there that are largely reliable. Still, even then it is always advisable to go beyond the single news outlet whenever it is possible (or required).

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
The Brucemaster said:
I think the best idea would be to actually CATCH BIN LADEN rather than invade a country that has no apparent connection with either terrorism or WMD's, oppressive dictator aside, although on that note why don't we just go around to every other country in the world with an oppressive dictator and remove them as part of the war on terror? Oh right, cos most other dictatorial nations don't have oil.
Bad idea. That would remove the external threat that governments exploit. How willingly would citizens in the West accept anti-terrorist measures when the figurehead of terrorism is gone?

HSC
_dhj_ said:
Bad idea. That would remove the external threat that governments exploit. How willingly would citizens in the West accept anti-terrorist measures when the figurehead of terrorism is gone?
Ahh im assuming that once the major threat of terrorism was removed then there would be no need to have anti-terrorism measures. I dont know i could be wrong, it just seems pretty logical to me.

You seem here to be endorsing government exploitation of fear, which is rather troubling, although it seems to be working pretty well in the USA so why no do the same here......

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
The Brucemaster said:
Ahh im assuming that once the major threat of terrorism was removed then there would be no need to have anti-terrorism measures. I dont know i could be wrong, it just seems pretty logical to me.

You seem here to be endorsing government exploitation of fear, which is rather troubling, although it seems to be working pretty well in the USA so why no do the same here......
Irony is difficult to convey over the net.

Let me clear this up. The process that is created, rather than the final result, is the intended result.
Do you really believe that the government is a bunch of bleeding hearts who actually care about people dying from terrorism? Do you really believe that the media took time to reflect on September 11 and what a tragedy it was while playing the events over and over again?

Last edited:
HSC
_dhj_ said:
Irony is difficult to convey over the net.

Let me clear this up. The process that is created, rather than the final result, is the intended result.
Do you really believe that the government is a bunch of bleeding hearts who actually care about people dying from terrorism? Do you really believe that the media took time to reflect on September 11 and what a tragedy it was while playing the events over and over again?
Not to the extent your suggesting no, but i also don't believe that they are that bad as to not give a shit about the citizens of the nation at all. The Australian Government is still, thankfully, significantly different to that of the USA.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
so you have no doubts about the government? the reason why their ARE protests campaigning for civil rights is primarily due to the fact that once new laws are passed they are hard to remove and that the possibility that future governments may abuse those laws is significant. this is not based on paranoia but pre-emptively when taking history into account.

HSC
transcendent said:
so you have no doubts about the government? the reason why their ARE protests campaigning for civil rights is primarily due to the fact that once new laws are passed they are hard to remove and that the possibility that future governments may abuse those laws is significant. this is not based on paranoia but pre-emptively when taking history into account.
I never said i had no doubts about the government, far from it, i simply meant that i dont believe the current government to be sadistic bastards who dont give a flying fuck about the welfare of the people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)