Life at a selective high (1 Viewer)

twicetwice

HSC
N/A
Im currently at a comprehensive school in year 9 and im looking to transfer into a selective high school in year 10. However, i have heard that there is a lot of homework everyday and students get lets than 5 hours of sleep. Is it true or does it depend on the school? ( this is about Baulkham hills)

Im applying to girraween.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I don't go to a selective school but from talking to people that's definitely not true - even my school rank around 50th gets heaps of homework it's not only selective students

sida1049

HSC
Im currently at a comprehensive school in year 9 and im looking to transfer into a selective high school in year 10. However, i have heard that there is a lot of homework everyday and students get lets than 5 hours of sleep. Is it true or does it depend on the school? ( this is about Baulkham hills)

Im applying to girraween.
A lot of homework? That depends on your perspective. But less than 5 hours of sleep? No. I know people who went to Girraween and used to take hours of commuting each day, and they slept as much as you and I.

And I know quite a few people who went to Girraween, and you're not drowned with homework there (or most other selective schools).

Last edited:

si2136

HSC
N/A
Nah you'll be fine.

At Girra, Advanced English is compulsory and if you make it in to Selective, they give you some work during the hols

donkily

HSC
N/A
you have to remember though selective schools are public schools. the only difference would probably be that there are students who travel a long distance to get to school and you are at a much higher ranked school since everyone cares about doing well

Mathew587

HSC
If you are in a low ranking school where no-one tries and you're able to move up, then gtfo. :)
That would have been my advice to my younger self.

donkily

HSC
N/A
If you are in a low ranking school where no-one tries and you're able to move up, then gtfo. :)
That would have been my advice to my younger self.
the only advantage (that i know of) of being at a low ranked school is that there is less pressure for you to rank first in your subjects

however, if you want to do group study with mates, want way more competition (there's already a competition for you to rank first at a low ranked school), feel insecure about not being 1st in your cohort, want to work with people who care about their learning, etc then probably a higher ranked school is the more appropiate choice however you need to do well (i mean really well, at least 90% in all exams) to be on par with them

HSC
Hey, Ruse transfer here. I transferred from a comprehensive school and I also had the same question. The truth is, yes the homework load is far greater than what you would usually get at your old school, but it is definitely manageable. As of sleeping time, I usually sleep between 11-12 and wake up between 6.30-7

boredsatan

HSC
I don't go to a selective school, but I'm pretty sure that there's a LOT of competition and pressure to succeed.

WildestDreams

HSC
Personally, the work load only increases in year 12, when everyone wants to do well. But year 10 and 11 should be good years to practise and catch up with the others.

HelloIAmGone

HSC
Bit of a late reply, sorry.

If I read your post correctly, you may be coming to Girraween next year (Year 10), and if so, see you there ;]

I am currently studying in Girraween (year 9), and the homework load is not that much unless it's Term 2/4 (half yearlies/yearlies respectively). 1.5-2 hours of homework time is enough for me to complete all my work, unless if there is a test incoming. I know many of my friends who are in Accelerate Science and spend many hours a day completing their homework, so in my opinion if you do get an offer for Accelerate just keep in mind how good your organisational skills are.

well my procrastinating skills is way beyond what many expect, so if i can keep up, you probably can as well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)