• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Linking Texts (1 Viewer)

karoooh

HSC
I was wondering how, in the essay, would you link the texts?

I was under the impression that I could link:

- Poem 1 (Lime Tree), with 1 stimulus material and one self-selected text

and then in the next part of the essay, I'd link:

- Poem 2 (Kubla Khan), with the same/different stimulus material and another self-selected material.

I've been told by some that ALL my texts have to link together, i.e. Text 1 links with texts 2, 3, 4, 5, followed by text 2 which links with texts 1, 3, 4, 5 etc. which is ridiculous.

Could someone please clarify this for me - What have your teachers told you about linking texts?

star*eyed

HSC
We have been told to integrate wat you are saying with all texts. But if one of your additional materials only links with one text thats ok, but really u should find a text that links with more than one. However say you have texts 1,2,3,4,5. then linking 1 with just 3,4,5 and not 2 would be alright. i wouldnt just link one poem with one text and the other poem with another text. You really need to link more than that.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
karoooh said:
I was wondering how, in the essay, would you link the texts?

I was under the impression that I could link:

- Poem 1 (Lime Tree), with 1 stimulus material and one self-selected text

and then in the next part of the essay, I'd link:

- Poem 2 (Kubla Khan), with the same/different stimulus material and another self-selected material.

I've been told by some that ALL my texts have to link together, i.e. Text 1 links with texts 2, 3, 4, 5, followed by text 2 which links with texts 1, 3, 4, 5 etc. which is ridiculous.

Could someone please clarify this for me - What have your teachers told you about linking texts?
Theres no real set criteria of how you integrate your texts from what my teacher said. What i've been told is to pick out 2 main themes from 2 prescribed texts for example(were doing skrzynecki) and then link like say text 1 one of them to the stimulus booklet and then link text 2 to the related text, or the other way around, depending on whichever relates better.

oh and hi2u carolyn.

karoooh

HSC
Hi Dennis!

But then where/how would I link my 2nd self-selected text? I know I might not need the 2nd one, but most people (incl. my teacher) say it's best to have at least 2 self-selected texts.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
karoooh said:
Hi Dennis!

But then where/how would I link my 2nd self-selected text? I know I might not need the 2nd one, but most people (incl. my teacher) say it's best to have at least 2 self-selected texts.

well, like you said, you can do it your way. You don't really have to link the prescribed texts together(you may want to allude to them), as long as they are integrated with you're other texts, with sufficient evident to the question, then it should be fine. You should ask your teacher though, as she may perceive one way is better then another.

kia-kaha

HSC
N/A
hEY I hav to talk about the connections between Lewis Carroll's Alice in wonderland and Coleridges Kubla Khan, I then have to make connections between Alice in wonderland and the matrix as well as connections to william blakes "eve tempted by the serpent". . . any ideas????

Kia kaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)