Living Allowance from your parents (1 Viewer)

s2ophie

HSC
I'm currently trying to work out with my parents how much money they will give me each week for living allowances. I will be living at a catered college at UNSW. So basically, what do you think would be a fair amount for them to give me. I need to consider things like transport, essentials (toiletries etc), stationary, going out money and phone credit.

In my opinion the more the better :p but i doubt my parents will give me more than i need. So for those uni students here, about how much do you live on weekly.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
well, um, if they are paying your board and for meals and all that, why dont you get some casual work to pay the rest?
last year i earned around $120 a week working on saturdays and that was more than enough to cover everything, including weekly train passes and half the time i bought my lunch at uni, my phone bill, and all the stuff i needed for uni, like textbooks and stuff.
So reckon, considering u will be living on campus, around $50-60 a week would be fine.
unless you expect them to pay for your alcohol consumption too, which would be a bit rich, then you need to double that.

is a roflcopter
HSC
just get a job like mambomeg said

^___^
HSC
but getting a job means u would have to take into account things such as uniform cost, transport and having ur study timetable re-arranged
also, its not gonna i want a job and u'll get it, it will need time..

so theres lots of thing taken into consideration..

s2ophie

HSC
I do plan to get a job but it will take me a hile to find one and i also am moving to Sydney so i will need to acclimatise better. I have a decent amount of money saved but my parents don't want me to use that up on living expenses.

^___^
HSC
if thats the case

use ur money that u saved for the first few months

then when everything settles, show ur parents the bill and ask for the money back...

i guess thats one method

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by ...
if thats the case

use ur money that u saved for the first few months

then when everything settles, show ur parents the bill and ask for the money back...

i guess thats one method
see the problem is that the money i have saved is actually in my parents account. I used this saved money to go overseas and paid for everything myself. At the time, my parents did not have the finances to pay for me to go. However now my sister is overseas and did not pay a cent of her trip and my parents are going to give me back my saved money (Don't think that i'm being greedy. i have told my parents countless times that they don't have to give it back but they persist) So, themoney i have saved can't really be withered away on living expenses and instead needs to be used on soemthing big - most probably for when i live in italy for a year as part of my ocurse. So really, oh shit i've lost my train of thought. Ok someone just tell me what would be a decent amount of money to live off.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
just get ur parents to put $1000 into ur keycard account and think it has to last a long time so stretch it out.. and it has to last u till u get a job and stuff.. that should cover food transport and stuff for a month or 2 and by then u should be working anyway

Dingo

Banned
get 3-way money
money from parents
money from centerlink
and money from work

you'll be loaded i tell ya =)

peace^^

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
make sure you make an amount with your parents, and then honestly tell them how much you are using, and what on, and then if you need more or if that is fine.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Well depends how much your oncampus accommodation costs... and how much your transport costs i doubt it will be high because you are basically LIVING on campus and in the city...

And going out expenses you can dramatically reduce that especially shopping these are considered luxuries remember....

I say asking your parents $80/week is GOOD deal, if you are entitled to away from home centrelink allowance, if not well you need to get at least $160/week.

And also don't forget you may be entitled to rent assistance from centrelink...

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
what the hell are you going to spend $160 a week on? If you need that much to live when all your basics are already paid for then u will have serious issues budgeting in later life.
Transport will be very low, UNSW is pretty close to everything, and how much do u spend on toiletries? remember, you only need a 20 cent piece sized dollop of shampoo!
And, if u can already to afford to live on campus, what the hell do u need centrelink payments for? Geez.
I think cro-angels idea was good, get a lump sum, and spend what u need to find out how much u are realistically spending. You'll need more at first when uni starts and probably less later on, like during exams when u arent going out quite as much.
you'll spend as much as you get, so if you get less, you will be less friviolous with it.

mememe

All these people getting everything paid for by their parents... am i the only one paying for it all myself? I thought it was the norm for everyone to just get a job and become independent until i came on here.

Dingo

Banned
im gonna become independant after i graduate from uni.
i need my parents still.
i am not as brave as you 'mememe'
the world is a cruel cruel place, i still need my mommy to take care of me. hahaaha

peace^^

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by Mambomeg
what the hell are you going to spend $160 a week on? If you need that much to live when all your basics are already paid for then u will have serious issues budgeting in later life.
I misread, i didn't realise his/her parents were paying for the accommodation.

I thought on campus accommodation was part living expense = living allowance i MISREAD.

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
having lots of money in a keycard account is NOT a good thing to do...it is just too convenient

is a roflcopter
HSC
Originally posted by Mambomeg
lol
160 is nothing these day :(

anyway
yeah
youth allowance + some notax work on saturday will probably get you ~150
thats enough to get by

Ribbon

I am paying for *everything* myself too I will get barely a cent from my parents excepting a small loan to cover moving costs ect.. I am relying on getting a $10 000 scholarship for next year otherwise I am completely screwed and have no idea what I will do moneywise...

I would assume if your parents could afford $5000 + a year for your accomodation PLUS a weekly living allownece for you they would be past centrelinks income threshold and you wouldn't be able to get youth allowence unless you were classed as independant (as someone said earlier, have to earn $16000 or so to be classed as independant). Have you actually confirmed you will be eligable for youth allowence or are you just assuming you will get it?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Yeh, and for everything after that, you loose 50c in every dollar.

Although, you also have this 'credit bank' - which goes up to $6000. If you plan on supporting ya self through centrelink, I reckon you just give them a call asap..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)