living awayfrom home allowance? (1 Viewer)

how u doin?

HSC
if there is a uni course i want to do, but my local uni doesn't offer it, is it possible to recieve an allowance from the gov, to help with collage.

if anyone knows anything about it, could ya give me some advice please.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
How it works is, if you need to move away from home to attent Uni/School ect, you are eligible. The highest rate you can recive is $310 a fornight plus rent assistance, which is about $30 a week or something around it.

Centrelink defines 'having to move away from your primary residence to attend school/Uni' as living more than 90 minutes away from the insitution via the quickest route (driving, bus or train, I mean ;)) one way.

Where do you live, and where do you want to go?

If theres anything else, just ask :D

how u doin?

HSC
well, i live about 45 mins outside of canberra, so im less then 90 mins away from Uni of Canberra and ANU. But neither of them offer the course i want to do. Sydney does...

and also, does your parents income weigh into it at all?

bex

HSC
to be eligible foryouth allowance you have to be means tested.. that means that your parents income, whether or not they are together, your age, your independence and a couple of other factors influence the amount of money the government will give you. Your best bet is to drop into a centrelink office or go to their website http://www.centrelink.gov.au :)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Rent Assistance is based on how much you pay for rent, and with dorm style accomodation, it's about $150 a wek if your moving to sydney, and so it would work about to be around $30 odd a week.

Youth Allowance however, is means tested. It doesn't matter where you live (although, it stands to reason someone from a housing commssion suburb to get more than a kid from Mosman.) it matters how much money your parent/s earn, or how much you earn if you are considered independant.

Just call Centrelink though, they'd be able to tell you exactly how much you would get because they have your details there.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Oooh.. LOL, I haven't even looked into Sydney Uni accomodation ;) - Western Sydney (at Hawkesbury) is about that..

I get the full ammount of Youth Allowance, but if I move away next year, I prolly will not be eligable for Rent assistance, because the rent for CSU Bathurst (self-catered) is under $88 (not that I'm conplaining, I'm happy it's so little :) ) But what my dad gives us in maintainence/child support doesn't effect my YA.. LOL. esspecially after I turn 18, when he doesn't pay anymore.

Oh well, LOL, Centrelink will prolly be able to help you out more than us though (If you don't mind being on hold for half an hour ;))

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)