living on campus- essential items to bring (1 Viewer)

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
hi guys, i recall seeing a thread earlier about important items to bring if you are going to live on campus. I can't find it anymore :(.

If anyone can link that thread it'll be great.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the things to bring to uni?

BlackDragon

HSC
Someone said:
things to bring to college this year
well its getting closer and i thought i'd write a list for all you new guys and girls of what sort of things you should bring - don't know if it will help but i know i would have liked it before i started!

* clothes - make sure you bring clothes for all kinds of weather and event.. from shorts/tshirts/jeans/thongs for lectures, to shirt/dresspants or skirt/dress for formal dinners (colleges usually have about 2 or 3 of these per term and can be anything from semi-formal to formal attire, so be prepared - and guys bring a tie!) and make sure you do pack some jumpers cos armidale can get cold (may not need these first term but def. will later on) and for girls especially, if you aren't used to it - be aware there is a lot of clothes/jewellery/make up borrowing that goes on at college! so basically you have your wardrobe plus every other girls to choose from!! (main borrowing would be for formal dinners etc though!)

* decorations for your room - this can be anything from your own doona cover, to photos, posters, toys etc.. make sure if you are hanging picture frames etc on the wall that you get special hooks that stick on the wall and can be removed (you can get them at hardware stores and kmart) - make your room your own!

* electrical applicances - firstly, most college rooms will only have 2 or 3 powerpoints, so powerboards are a must! i'm not sure what other colleges allow, but at albies, people have everything from fridges, tvs, stereos, computers, laptops, lamps to hairdryers, fans and alarm clocks... it's up to you what you think you will need or want - but a computer or laptop will always come in handy (it can be annoying to have to go to the computer room) and if you have a computer you can do without a stereo too! it's also helpful to have your own printer (but beware - people will always want to borrow it so watch the amount of paper and ink you go through!)
in the first few weeks it will be hot - so a fan will come in very handy (and they sell out quickly at shops in town so bringing one is easier!)

* linen - most colleges will provide sheets and a doona cover (check with your own though) - you are more than welcome to bring your own though, and it's often nice to have your own doona cover to be a bit more personal, be aware though, if you have your own sheets/doona cover then you have to wash them yourself... bring at least 2 bath towels and a beach towel for trips to the pool/blue hole etc..

* bring a few cups/glasses if you decide to have a few quiet drinks at college - or even to get a glass of water late at night, also cups of coffee/tea (most colleges will have microwave, kettle and sink facilities but you can bring your own kettle - just watch fire alarms!)... also, bowls and plates will come in handy for the odd bit of take-away or maggi noodles that you might get... and also knife/fork/spoon/teaspoon

* for lectures i reccomend using a 5 subject notebook cos they have pockets that you can stick notes in, and it saves carrying around 4 separate notebooks... i keep a folder for each subject in my room at college and put any sheets/notes/assignments in it as i go... at the end of last year i then went through the folders and managed to put all the important stuff into 1 folder of all my 1st year subjects... one of the best things about college is the older students who keep their stuff for you so you can look at old assignments etc. (they often don't change much year to year, especially for sciences!)

* hanging rack for clothes is useful - so you can dry clothes in your room if you want the privacy or if the drying room is full

if anyone else can think of anything feel free to add on here!!
there we go!

juzmister

HSC
Lol I've sent way too much. I've sent an A/C unit, a chair, LP's, a record player, speakers and sheets...I'm going to look like such an idiot.

mishyma

HSC
hahah, thanks for posting this blackdragon.
even though we sorta get a list when they send over the forms, they still miss out onstuff lol ..

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
Alcohol and lots and lots of social "out-thereness"

I lacked the latter last year, but I don't think on-campus was for me anyway.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Any other ideas are greatly appreciated!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)