living on campus, whats it like? (1 Viewer)

forceblade

HSC
hey everyone new to the site, anyways i applied for UNE but its a but far to keep driving to the uni cause i live at sydney...so i was wondering whats it like living on campus there, i got a booklet and its got a few different campus to choice from.

so can anyone give me any tips on which to pick?

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
well if u live at a college i'll guarantee that you'll rekon it's a cell - but considering you don't actually spend a lot of time there, you get over it... as for biggest rooms - albies have the biggest (apart from a couple of rooms at mary white)
if u read some of the other posts in the UNE forum you'll get an idea of what each of the colleges have to offer

and as for UNE - there is only one campus (Armidale), but a lot of the subjects you can do externally - so you can live at home and do them by correspondence (although some of them have residential schools that you have to attend for about a week in the holidays)

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
forceblade said:
um, which campus have 5 star rating? lol, but i will probally take the most expensive one, no way iam spending 3 years of my life in a prision cell.
Oh boy are you going to be in for a shock. They even have communal showers just like a prison, although that's not necessarily a bad thing in this case :)

They're called residential colleges not campuses, a campus includes the academic buildings etc. which UNE used to have and I think still has in a few places but they are moving more towards a distributed access center model now.

forceblade

HSC
um ok cool thx, a few more question

1) Is there any apartments/houses/units that i can rent near UNE??

2) do the residential colleges have Cable TV?

thx

jesscookie

HSC
why do you want to go to UNE? you dont really seem like a bush, roughing it sorta person...

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Heaps of houses/units in Armidale, you won't find anything just as uni goes back though, every uni student not on college will have snapped everything up before the new year.

What are you wanting out of university? Answer it honestly because if you are only going to Armidale for paytv and luxury you will be sorely mistaken.
You want to watch cable tv? why? You will be getting new release movies and tv shows 6 months before they hit australia anyway :)

Do you enjoy feeezing cold weather? do you enjoy walking up a kilometre long hill every day and back down, maybe a couple of times a day? Do you enjoy small town living? Do you enjoy average (at best) food served to you daily? Do you enjoy seeing your steak become crumbed steak a day later? Do you enjoy hearing people on the crapper while you brush your teeth or shower? If the answer to these are no then college at UNE is not for you. On the other hand if you are adventurous and don't mind adjusting it's a fun place and certainly an experience.

forceblade

HSC
LeftrightOut said:
Heaps of houses/units in Armidale, you won't find anything just as uni goes back though, every uni student not on college will have snapped everything up before the new year.

What are you wanting out of university? Answer it honestly because if you are only going to Armidale for paytv and luxury you will be sorely mistaken.
You want to watch cable tv? why? You will be getting new release movies and tv shows 6 months before they hit australia anyway :)

Do you enjoy feeezing cold weather? do you enjoy walking up a kilometre long hill every day and back down, maybe a couple of times a day? Do you enjoy small town living? Do you enjoy average (at best) food served to you daily? Do you enjoy seeing your steak become crumbed steak a day later? Do you enjoy hearing people on the crapper while you brush your teeth or shower? If the answer to these are no then college at UNE is not for you. On the other hand if you are adventurous and don't mind adjusting it's a fun place and certainly an experience.
i just want to go to uni so my parents can shut up about it.
but yea, i luv cold weather
kilometre hill? i am never walking that....
small town living yes...
people crapper while i brush hell no....

forceblade

HSC
Argonaut said:
Well it's the only way to the campus itself unless you A) drive (and waste petrol) or B) live at Mary White, which is right on top of the campus.

And there's no rooms with their own showers - every last bathroom in very last college groups the showers, toilets and everything together. So you don't have a chocie, except maybe at Wight Village, each one of the little cabin-like buildings is self-sustaining (but you have to provide all your meals); but I don't know too much about it, it's one of the few colleges I didn't tour because I wasn't interested.

group shower...umm..i guess it wont be too bad if girls share the same showers as guys :D
ok cool guys thx for all the Info.

ps. do you guys ever get towel snapped when you are in the shower by your mates?

bboy_insane

HSC
N/A
dude, showers have locks on them. you shower by yourself, it aint like the american movies

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
forceblade said:
group shower...umm..i guess it wont be too bad if girls share the same showers as guys :D
ok cool guys thx for all the Info.

ps. do you guys ever get towel snapped when you are in the shower by your mates?
nah no towel snapping - and if a guy ever tried to rip a towel off a chick when she was walking to/from the bathroom they would be in a shit load of trouble.. its a bit scary before you get here, but after a couple of days you get over it majorly!!

oh and albies is the only college with sinks in the rooms - so u don't have to brush your teeth with someone on the toilet behind you... also have other uses such as a morning-after spew, pissing (boys only), shaving legs, washing clothes.. quite handy if i do say so myself

forceblade

HSC
hey thx for all the info guys, although i am still freaked out by the shower rooms lol

i am gona write an e-mail to UNE and ask them to send me some pics and cost for albie

bboy_insane

HSC
N/A
Argonaut said:
Uh, problem: applications for on-campus accomodation closed on September 30th. Better make up your mind quick because it's probably going to be a case of first come, first serve when you apply, so don't just ask for Albies, there's no guarantee you'll get in - and even then, they have a separate interview to get into the college itself.
Looks like its Smith House for a certain someone ;)

bboy_insane

HSC
N/A
Argonaut said:
For a moment there I thought you were referring to Drummond and Smith. And I was going to say you could do a hell of a lot worse, like Austin. Or Robb. Or Wright Village.

Besides, all the good spots will be taken if you haven't applied by now. Each college only has about 200-250 residents, going by the guys at Open Day (strangely, they all claimed to be one of the smaller colleges ...). It's been nearly a month since applications closed, so there's only going to be a few places left and they might not be where you want them. After all, places with larger room - like St. Alberts and Duval are likely to be snapped up in a flash.
Unless you guys have major problems with the way a college is run, you should be looking at what the people seemed like, and if you'll fit in.

bboy_insane

HSC
N/A
Argonaut said:
I didn't base my application on the size of the rooms. Just touring around them, I could feel something about them, a vibe that I could connect with. Sounds kinda like new-age mumbo-jumbo, but with each college you could tell which felt the most like home. Kind of a subconcious thing, you know? That's why I chose Duval. Because I could connect with the people there.
Good decision then

forceblade

HSC
yea well i couldnt really send in an application for rooms cause i dont know if they will accept me or not, so yea they should make the closing date a little later like after christmas :(

bboy_insane

HSC
N/A
forceblade said:
yea well i couldnt really send in an application for rooms cause i dont know if they will accept me or not, so yea they should make the closing date a little later like after christmas :(
Exactly right dude, I put my application in late because I wasnt even sure if i wanted to go to UNE.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
if u want to have a look at some photos of colleges then go to the une website then to accomodation and there are photos of all of them there

as someone else said - don't pick a college on what it looks like or the size of the rooms, after all - it's the friends you make and the experiences you have that will be the most important thing - not the size of your room or how much grass the college has...

and don't freak out about guy/girl showers... its really not bad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)