lol Holden Barina (1 Viewer)

transcendent

HSC
N/A
gets 2 stars for it's crashworthiness in both Australian and European NCAP tests.
just goes to show that as long as it has pricing and a badge anyone person who who doesn't pay attention will buy it. at least when it was a Daewoo Kalos it looked better and had an excuse for being a piece of crap.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Old news :p But, it does bring up a fair point. I feel sorry for those who bought into this new Barina thinking it would be something similar to the European model before it; and I'm sure Holden will suffer in the end as they realise that by saving a few bucks here, and increasing sales, in the long run, profit probably won't increase and all that money they spent building up the Barina's reputation has already been lost. So far the good sales are likely attributed to the low price (ironically- Holden raised the price of the Sedan by $500) but I think in the long run as problems with both safety and quality arise- people just won't go anywhere near it.

Sigh.
Gotta admit though, that basketball add when they featured both sedan and hatch Barinas playing bball was pretty funny.

ohdato

HSC
Its basically a re badged daewoo who Holden bought out (or GM).
So the lack of quality is evident with it coming from Korea.
Silly mistake with the small car market being a big thing in the eyes of consumers.

But the Corolla and Yaris have shat over everything anyway.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
I wouldn't go near the new barina anyway, looks like complete shit compared to the previous model.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I also reckon the Yaris (and Yaris Sedan) are pretty kickass for the small car market. If I wanted something small I would definitely have gone for it.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
the Yaris sedan looks better than the hatch. the sedan looks pedigree next to the new Camry which is out July apparently! new Corolla will be a while :(

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
transcendent said:
the Yaris sedan looks better than the hatch. the sedan looks pedigree next to the new Camry which is out July apparently! new Corolla will be a while :(
LOL it's funny how you can say Camry and Yaris have pedigree- yet Lexus still hasn't quite hit the mark.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
that's cause it's true. i see no passing resemblance in any of the Lexus line bar the LS430 and the RX330 to it's predecessors.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
transcendent said:
that's cause it's true. i see no passing resemblance in any of the Lexus line bar the LS430 and the RX330 to it's predecessors.
It's much harder for Lexus to establish 'pedigree' because it doesnt have anything as iconic as the BMW kidney grill. Remove the kidney Grill from the e90 and e46 and you would struggle to establish that they are from the same brand.

L finess predigree is starting to find its way into the current lexus line.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
BMW headlights always seem to have a familiar look to them, as is the interior, and the lines on the side... i don't know technical terms, but BMW has a LOT more styling cues which are apparent across their range. Btw isn't that kink near the rear window taken from BMW?

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
seremify007 said:
BMW headlights always seem to have a familiar look to them, as is the interior, and the lines on the side... i don't know technical terms, but BMW has a LOT more styling cues which are apparent across their range. Btw isn't that kink near the rear window taken from BMW?
The kink is similar but not the same. The GS300/430 has a hoffmeister kink identical to the bmw. But then again so does the Passat, the mazda 3, the subaru Liberty and many many other cars.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
That's just one element... but it does add a bit of differentiation to BMWs which other cars (previously) didn't have. I think on the whole, BMWs have the most consistent image over time (for normal luxury sedans)- Mercedes changes quite a bit across their model range although in recent times, you can see the connection between models of the same generation.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
You think a layman is going to notice that silly little difference on the A-pillar? Cause I don't. Hoffmeister kink my arse, who cares.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It's a subtle thing which I think subconsciously gives a bit more character to the car. Besides, does the average layman buy a BMW?

Btw... is it called the A pillar? I thought A are the front, B in the middle, and C at the back?

transcendent

HSC
N/A
yeah, the average layman would buy a BMW for the image, if they had the money.
i thought it was the A-pillar cause it forms a sideway A. =\

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It's disputable about what a layman would notice, but I would- and I like to consider myself a prospective BMW buyer (one day!)...

As for A pillar, I'm pretty sure A-pillar is the front two... B-pillar is the middle one between the two doors (front/rear) and C-pillar make the rear. I also recall reading in a car brochure (Mercedes CLK from memory) that it 'lacks the B pillar'- which seems to fit in with what I remember from the CL which is a similar car.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)