lonely @ O week (1 Viewer)

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
I'm going with friends, but l want to meet heaps of new uni friends, so i guess l'll just say hi to every brunette?

@nofriends: i live practically in bondi myself.

tempco

HSC
eafj90 said:
I dont see myself being courageous enough to greet randoms :p... Perhaps people will talk to me at oweek if i look inviting? *crosses fingers* lol... or maybe I should just make an effort once lectures start
inviting?

elfm

HSC
The campus tours really don't give you a whole lot of time to get to know each other 1 on 1, so yeah, unless they're super hot and mad to talk to or something like that, you'll probably never see them again like sunny said.

I went with friends before so that might be a reason why I didn't actually make a whole lot of new friends. Well, I made a few here and there through my existing friends, but as above, you never get to talk to them all that much during o-week and you'll quite quickly stop seeing most of them.

L45er

Booyakasha
HSC
eafj90 said:
I dont see myself being courageous enough to greet randoms :p... Perhaps people will talk to me at oweek if i look inviting? *crosses fingers* lol... or maybe I should just make an effort once lectures start
Just get drunk and then you'll easily talk to randoms.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Jago said:
Yeah i had this random med student just start talking to me while i was getting my ID card. at first i was like wtf, but yeah he was a pretty cool dude once we started talking.
Yeah some random med student started talking to me in the steam room (aka sauna, not quite) in the Unigym. Actually, I've had a few conversations with randoms in that steam room. Sounds wierd, but its not.

Otherwise, I agree with sunny. You might meet a few new people, but unless you get some sort of contact details, chances you might never see them again. Sure, you might bump into them once or twice in the first few weeks, but you can hardly call that a 'friend'.

As for myself, I haven't really been to an o-week yet (and I'm entering 3rd year). I might turn up this year, and see what it has to offer.

millymoo: I wouldn't worry too much. Turn up to o-week, see what there is. You might even unknowingly bump into some nice people from BOS. Most of your friends you will probably meet through your lectures or tutorials, labs etc. I do agree with an above post, unless you come from those circles, it can be a little daunting to try and break into the large social groups from schools, and I'm talking about the large selctive schools here. If you're a bit nervous, just chat to some random people that look like they are by themself. Trust me, they'll be glad you started talking to them too.

HSC
at this point i'll definitely be at UNSW on the wednesday (faculty of science orientation day). i'm just not sure if i should be going on any of the other days :\

reemz

HSC
i understand what you are going through- i was shocked that i got into UNSW and i didnt even consider going there- but now that i got a schloraship im def. staying there- but im the same i dont know anyone- well there are 2 boys from my school going there but there doing commerce and im going to be so nigel- im sorta scared to about it- im hoping i meet people fast- i cant keep my mouth shut for a whole day! but im going to that peer ment. thing for arts/social sciences but yeah im still nervous

gman03

HSC
Oh by the way people, there is not much info given in orientation day other than the dean comes out and says a high and how you made a good choice by studying at unsw... blah

In my opinion you should attend orientation other than the one relating to your degree (i.e. attend the one for arts, boys; for girls, try engineering :) :) ) Meet people in O-week, not gain information!!!!! You have got enough information during advising day / carerer day / open day etc. Meet new people (can't emphasise that enough)

Seriously what's fun if you go to orientation day and ask everybody "whats degree are you doing?" "B Science" "mee too!" i mean wtf? Have one like "hi i am doing B Engineering" "wtf this one is for art" "i know I've come to meet you, sexy" or something much more creative than that (see how uncreative I am == lonely for <strike>two</strike> twenty years)

So in short: orientation for your faculty = sucks. Meet new people @ O-Week = excellent!

oh and get free stuff..... you will meet others there :D

G

Gavvvvvin

yeah and shouldnt you already know enough about your degree by the time o-week rolls around...

SweetSeasons

HSC
gman03 said:
Seriously what's fun if you go to orientation day and ask everybody "whats degree are you doing?" "B Science" "mee too!" i mean wtf? Have one like "hi i am doing B Engineering" "wtf this one is for art" "i know I've come to meet you, sexy" or something much more creative than that (see how uncreative I am == lonely for <strike>two</strike> twenty years)
hahaha u sound kinda cute

millymoo

HSC
politik said:
In the same boat as you unfortunately - want to make a BOS meatup at O-Week? Im sure more people would come - makes the day seem less uninviting for most of us...
sounds like a plan 99... wanna organise something? i desperatley need to force friendships lol....

Alimoe_KG

HSC
politik said:
Well just the two of us wont be much of a bos meetup - we need more troops!
I'm coming with groups but i'll definitely hang with the BOSers too if they decide to meet up :)

millymoo

HSC
Airness said:
I'm coming with groups but i'll definitely hang with the BOSers too if they decide to meet up :)
any other takers?????????????????????????????????????????? this is seeming a pretty lonely affair so far.. perhaps a new thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)