Looking for anybody interested in share accom in Sydney (1 Viewer)

Carl Unger

HSC
Hey
I am getting in early, just seeing if anyone has any ideas or is interested in share accommodation next year in Sydney. I am moving to the South Sydney or Sutherland area.

That's it really, nothing serious is being planned or organized at this stage, just trying to see if there's anyone out there on the same path.

Thanks

Carl Unger

HSC
umm I didnt ask if anybody was not interested. U must be trying to push ur post count up or something lol

Andi0390

HSC
My advice to you.

You're not going to get your own house. Practically no real estate will lend to an unemployed, or part time employed student. They just don't. Nor do they rent to share houses usually.

I moved to Sydney when I was 17 and the only way I got accommodation was by moving into share houses that usually were not through real estates and pretending I was 19.

The best thing for you to do would be to move into an already established group house. Theoretically there will be furnishings and appliances, as well as gas and electricity set up, and generally you don't have to sign a long term lease.

Actually try never to sign a lease in a share house. The people, when you meet them, seem nice and all la-la great and two weeks later you find out the house has a cockroach infestation and one of the girls in an obsessive note leaver. It can take a while to find a good place to live, and its not about being friends with your flatmates, but its about having lifestyles and habits that work together. I am just presuming this is your first time out of home because of your HSC year being 2009.

Also don't move to Sutherland, and keep to the north of south Sydney. Even though you may save rent living somewhere you spend more on transport. Its also really boring down there. No fun at all. No cool houses or people. Smells strange.

Go Bondi, Surrey Hills, Darlinghurst, Newtown, Glebe, just that whole nice inner area. The people are better.

lala2

Banned
HSC
^^Bondi is expensive. Surry Hills and Darlinghurst, would stay away from unless you find a really decent street or something. Newtown and Glebe I'd highly recommend--in fact, the whole Inner West area from Marrickville to Ashfield, maybe Strathfield but that's stretching it in terms of distance. Other than that, completely agree with you.

Andi0390

HSC
Mmm I guess Surrey Hills and Darlinghurst can have its dodgy streets and characters, good locations though. And you can sometimes pick up a place with decent rent. I lived in Glebe for a bit and that was pretty fun, close to Broadway and the city, as well as Usyd and TAFE.

Bond can be a killer. Going through a realestate you may be expected to pay 4 weeks rent in advance and 4 weeks bond, 6 weeks is not unheard of. It can be a large chunk of money. Then electricity and gas opening deposits, phone line if you want it. Not to mention all the furniture. Established share is really the best option. You still have bond but sometimes its only 2 weeks.

Carl Unger

HSC
Andi0390 said:
My advice to you.

You're not going to get your own house. Practically no real estate will lend to an unemployed, or part time employed student. They just don't. Nor do they rent to share houses usually.
Thank you for replying and giving advice, though probably not the kind of thing that I wanted to hear lol

Carl Unger

HSC
Andi, I am not saying you are wrong here because you obviously have been through this before but how do uni students moving from other locations to Sydney who can't get accom on campus manage to find accom elsewhere. Is their only option finding an already established share apartment.

lala2

Banned
HSC
^^I don't have experience with this myself, but from the people I've talked to who have had to move out for uni, there's been no trouble finding an established share apartment to the point you need to set up your own. It's not share apartments aren't available, it's a matter of what you're willing to pay and/or the tenants you're willing to put up with. The uni accomodation service is the best place to refer to--they have listings of accomodation and usually there's an accomodation adviser too who can talk you through things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)