looking for someone to explain atars (1 Viewer)

AntarcticMonkeys

HSC
so my friend did subjects that scale higher than mine, and did better than I did but her atar is lower and we both wanna know how in the heck that happened

her
Ancient: 90
English Adv: 88
English Ext1: 43
2u math: 93
Japanese Continuers: 92
Japanese Extension: 47

atar: 95.5

Me
engadv: 88
3u math: 90
4umath: 84
phys: 84
chem: 87
business studies: 88

atar: 96

tyz in advance!

leehuan

HSC
Scaling is based on the difficulty of subjects relative to each other. This is determined by whether the more capable candidature does course x over course y.

English is used as a scaling norm.

Because stereotypically better students do 4U/PHY/CHEM over the other subjects, (despite a similar aligning algorithm) the scaling on some subjects makes your ATAR go higher for them, despite your aligned mark being lower.

This is only true for margins around ~10 marks I believe. >20 marks and scaling doesn't help anything.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
so my friend did subjects that scale higher than mine, and did better than I did but her atar is lower and we both wanna know how in the heck that happened

her
Ancient: 90
English Adv: 88
English Ext1: 43
2u math: 93
Japanese Continuers: 92
Japanese Extension: 47

atar: 95.5

Me
engadv: 88
3u math: 90
4umath: 84
phys: 84
chem: 87
business studies: 88

atar: 96

tyz in advance!
It's actually you who did the higher scaling subjects!

spatula232

HSC
Where do the ranks come into play? Because I was ranked second in a subject, yet got a higher exam mark than my mate who was ranked first... Shouldn't he automatically get that higher mark?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Where do the ranks come into play? Because I was ranked second in a subject, yet got a higher exam mark than my mate who was ranked first... Shouldn't he automatically get that higher mark?
No, everyone's exam mark is their own exam mark. So if you got a higher exam mark than your friend, it means you did better than him in the external HSC Exam, and this is unaffected by internal ranks.

spatula232

HSC
No, everyone's exam mark is their own exam mark. So if you got a higher exam mark than your friend, it means you did better than him in the external HSC Exam, and this is unaffected by internal ranks.
Then what do the internal ranks decide??

spatula232

HSC
It boggles the mind how the HSC can be over and the marks out, yet some people still have no idea how the system works.
I apologise my good sir, but I thought it was the exam mark as opposed to the assessment mark. My mistake your mind was boggled.

SudhiTheBoat

HSC
For every mark you get in PHYS/CHEM you are beating alot more people. For every mark you lose in 2U/JAP more people are beating you.

For every mark you lose in PHYS/CHEM less people are beating you. For every mark you gain in 2U/JAP you are beating less people.

Hope that makes sense.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
For every mark you get in PHYS/CHEM you are beating alot more people. For every mark you lose in 2U/JAP more people are beating you.

For every mark you lose in PHYS/CHEM less people are beating you. For every mark you gain in 2U/JAP you are beating less people.

Hope that makes sense.
In other words, you're saying that the distributions of marks for HSC Maths 2U/Japanese are generally positively skewed (longer tail toward the right) whilst for HSC Physics and Chemistry, they are generally negatively skewed (longer tail towards left).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)