...Lord Of The Rings... (1 Viewer)

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by tonberry_kun
faramir's dad (the king of gondor in #3) went nuts cuz his other son died (in the battle at the end of "the fellowship of the ring")

so naturally he would be pissed off and since no one told him till the start of ROTK and that he died in sum crappy melee in the jungle... and that son (the older one) was the heir to the throne...
Denethor had one of the palantirs, he was manipulated by Sauron
jackson cut it from the movie and made denethor just look like a madman...hopefully will be amended in the dvd

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
denethor tried to challenge sauron by himself through the palantir (a stone similar to the 1 pippin found). while he can still use the palantir to see the world, it only showed him what sauron wanted him to see, ie all the armies and strength of mordor, thus driving denethor into despair and madness.

Originally posted by babydoll_
last one

why did Frodo have to leave Middle Earth at the end of ROTK?
all the bearers of the ring get to leave for valinor because carrying it was a great burden and caused the bearer to be weary for life. eventually Sam also leaves as he too carried the ring for a short while.

also im pretty sure they cut the farmir-eowyn thing in the final edit or sumthing so it will end up in the Extended edition

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
Right at the start of the first film we see a somewhat simplified story of the battle that sees Isildur win the Ring from Sauron. In the original story, the battle takes place outside Mordor, and Sauron's forces are defeated. There follows a seven-year siege of Sauron in his Dark Tower. Eventually, Sauron is overcome not by Isildur himself, but by his father Elendil and the Elvenking Gil-galad, who are both slain. Isildur then cuts the Ring from Sauron's body.
is any of this in the extended version of the first film?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
No it shows a bit extra of the ambush with orcs but thats all for the prolouge.

muldersgun

HSC
Okay theres no way in hell i'm crawling through 6 pages. I finally saw ROTK today and here are some of my thoughts. Sorry if i double up.

Things i loved:
-The lighting of the beacons - *sigh*....just so beautiful
-The long landscape swish pans - everytime PJ does one, the hairs on my neck stand up
-HS's score...holy crap was it good, loved the Minas Tirith theme
-The army of the dead
-Aragorn
-Aragorn's song
-Pippin's song
-The battles
-The rohirrim
-Theoden's and Aragorn's stirring pre-battle speeches
-Gandalf's ride up to the top of Minas Tirith *again, so beautiful*
-Ewoyn - That chick kicks so much arse
-Sean Astin's AMAZING acting....the best crier i've seen
-Minas Tirith itself......Whoa....so cool
-Faramir's ride down to the Ogsiliath suicide mission (ppl throwing flowers on to his path)
-Shelob....seriously terrifying
- Aragorn wearing the White tree of Gondor in the last battle at the gates of Mordor
- Legolas wearing silk at the end...the only time in the entire trilogy when i thought he looked hot
-The falling white petals during Aragorns coronation
-Anduril - the forging, the giving, the using
-Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli jumping unexpectadly off the ship and striding towards the orcs
- Aragorn leading the army into Mordor - "For frodo"
- Gandalf's "staff kung fu" against the orcs at minas tirith
- Faramir and the whole "inferior sibling" complex.

Things are thought a bit iffy:
-not enough faramir
-whatever happend to the faramir/eowyn subplot?
-Denethor's great fiery leap off Minas Tirith
-This is prolly an Elijah Wood thing but why must everytime he gets stabbed or something, must he look constipated? I had to seriously supress my laughter when Shelob stings him and I had the exact same reaction during FOTR with the troll.
- Aragorn's Kingly Hair and beard...just so not as appealing and the Rough and dirty Aragorn.
- My personal vision of the Grey Havens was very different and a lot more sombre then what happened in the film. It just seemed to drowned in sepia for me.

Random Tidbits
-Minas Morgul was so green it looked like the Emerald City

I loved loved loved this movie...for a final film...its almost perfect. Although some plot points were missing on the fact that it would've been virtually impossible to incorporate everything it was a brilliant film.

What was most important was that ROTK had heart....PJ had the sense to break the battles with dialogue and plot unlike *cough cough* the other trilogy ending film in 2003.

btw, just on a note for anyone who's read the VSD...did you guys sense the overt slashiness between merry/pippin and sam/frodo?
Like i thought it was always subtext but its almost become text in ROTK it was so blatant.

Fav line i totally predictated?

Witch King: You fool! No mortal man can kill me.
Eowyn: I am no man.

feminism in middle earth!

cleopatra

Cleopatra
"Dear God; make me a bird, so i can fly far, far a
HSC
Okay. I saw ROTK on sunday and im soooo let down:(. I dunno why. Maybe cos its over, you kno...no more LOTR movies *Boo Hoo* but i also just came out like....ok, so i thought that'd be THE best movie EVER, and it wasnt. I think i was expecting too much....mainly because of this.....

By Loz#1
All I can say it...OH MY FUCKING GOD!!! It was fucking awesome!
Not sayin its ur fault Loz! I fondly admire ur love for Viggo (Tho i like Aragorn[the character] betta than Viggo in real life)

So yeah. But I loved Eowyn!!!! That was soooo good!!!! And Merry helped too! Power to the little people. Little people with hidious feet.

And As ive said....There is noone betta the Arry.

Pippin is so funny

Gandalf kix arse!!! U go old man! Woo Hoo!

and yeah, muldersgun , That place SOOOO looked like the emerald city!!!!!

I hate whingy whiney stupid selfish Frodo , i wish he fell in the volcano. Or betta , i wish Sam pushed him!

And the WORST bit was wen everyone was reunited with Frodo the gay loser. How corney was that?!! I lauged my arse off!!!

And we started a clap at the end! They are so funny. Did anyone else have that?

So i think i need to see it again, otherwise this empty OOTP(Harry) feeling will just fester and stay 4eva.:(

muldersgun

HSC
OOTP was such a shit book. I finished it and was like.."Feck! I went through 800p for this?"

*SIGH*

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
Originally posted by crazyhobo
Did everyone in your cinema all go 'aawwww...' when frodo was stabbed by the huge spider? I thought it was so funny, I just started laughing.
i thought he looked like those russian dolls that fit inside one another when sam rips open the web and reveals his face...lol
talk about mascara! :p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Didnt the fang or whatever it is, go out through his stomach surely that would of caused a bit of a wound.

mayhemily

HSC
hmm yes!
I think we're sposed to 'ignore' things like that!!

when it all comes down to it, i think samwise was the real hero

i'm sad its all over *sob

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mayhemily
hmm yes!
I think we're sposed to 'ignore' things like that!!

when it all comes down to it, i think samwise was the real hero
Yes but it didnt show him USE THE GODDAM RING thats my biggest complaint in the whole movie.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by cleopatra

Not sayin its ur fault Loz! I fondly admire ur love for Viggo (Tho i like Aragorn[the character] betta than Viggo in real life)
Hmmm, and here I was thinking I was allowed to have my own opinion. *slaps self* :eek:

mayhemily

HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
Yes but it didnt show him USE THE GODDAM RING thats my biggest complaint in the whole movie.
hey yeah, how did i miss that? i can't belive they didn't put that in!!!!!!!!! hope its in the extended version...
I guess one of the downfalls having read the book is that ithe movies are never ever going to live up to that. U have to try to look at them as two very separate entities.

Adaran

Procrastinator
HSC
i dont think that even in the movie's extended versoin Sam wares the ring.... cos in the book, sam later goes to the Grey Heavens and leaves middle earth because he was a ring barer, so its a sadder ending.

in the movie, sam is left behind unchanged (as apposed to the constipated Frodo), and he can go on living like a hobbit so that the audience feels like its a happy holywood ending

Wohzazz

HSC
The battles scenes were awesome, must be one of the best movies because of that
However, there are two sections i don't especially like
the stupid undeads humans, can they get killed? i mean they ended the lasting battle in a couple of seconds, swarming like ants, i wanted the battle to last longer
and the conry ending at the end made me want to walk out the threatre straight away

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Yeah, I forgot to mention, whoever said something about the constipated Frodo, I agree. It's so fucking annoying!

EskimoPunk

HSC
That must be the best advice I've ever heard. Unfortunately, I didn't not do my HSC this year.

mayhemily

HSC
Originally posted by Adaran
i dont think that even in the movie's extended versoin Sam wares the ring.... cos in the book, sam later goes to the Grey Heavens and leaves middle earth because he was a ring barer, so its a sadder ending.

in the movie, sam is left behind unchanged (as apposed to the constipated Frodo), and he can go on living like a hobbit so that the audience feels like its a happy holywood ending
that makes a lot of sense, thanks for clearing it up :) i must admit i don't really remember the finer details of the story bc its been a few years since I read it

HSC
My review of the movie...

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

In every trilogy in cinema history the third film is never the best, this is evident in the Terminator, Back to the Future and Star Wars trilogies, amongst many others. Return of the King, the third film in Peter Jacksons wildly popular Lord of the Rings trilogy, finally manages to break this trend. Why it succeeds is due in part, to its ability to fuse the emotion and character of the Fellowship with the epic battles and action of The Two Towers.

Perhaps the best place to start reviewing are the spectacle elements of the film. In this regard its some of best youll ever have the fortune to see. The epic scale of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields is unprecedented, with hundreds of thousands of combatants, and it will certainly be considered one of the greatest on screen battles of all time.

The introduction of the city of Minas Tirith is simply breathtaking. The birds eye view of Gandalf riding up the seven circles of Minas Tirith helps the audience to comprehend the sheer size and beauty of the city. New creatures such as the Oliphaunts, the Dead Army and Shelob are all wonderfully realised, and old favourites like the Nazgul, Cave Trolls and Orcs come back in slightly refashioned forms.

Of course, special effects alone dont make a movie, and Return of the King, unlike many epic blockbusters, excels in all other regards.

In terms of acting Sean Astin, Andy Serkis, Ian McKellan, in particular, are all brilliant. Astin has been competent throughout the first two films, but this is where he truly shines. In particular, the scene where Frodo tells Sam to go home and the one where Sam mourns Frodos death are truly heart-breaking moments. Andy Serkis continues to prove that Gollum/Smeagol is the greatest CGI character ever and Ian McKellan returns to the Gandalf we all know and love from the Fellowship (as the opposed to the rather distant Gandalf in The Two Towers).

All other cast members are at the very least decent (Orlando Bloom), but most are great. Merry, Pippin and Gimli also add welcome dashes of humour.

The music of Howard Shore adds emotional depth in the scenes with Sam and Frodo and makes the epic battles, well, more epic. Music for Shelobs lair is also a highlight, adding tension and complementing the creepy feel of the scene with its frantic string section.

As with all films that come close to perfection, there are always minor flaws. Gandalf beating Denethor with his staff seems inappropriate and out of place. Mordor is not given enough screen time, and Sam and Frodos arduous trek through the desolate wastes of Mordor seems to have taken less than a day (in the book, it takes weeks). Some may also complain about the length of the film (although not me), in particular the epilogue with its multiple endings. While most who find it too long are willing to tolerate this, it was clear when I watched it that some people were irritated.

Also, the recurrence of fake deaths and deus ex machina victories starts to become a problem. Frodo, Gandalf, and Aragorn have all died in the first two films, and when Frodo dies yet again in the third film, the audience isnt convinced and tend to question whether any main character can be killed, which in turn destroys any sense of tension when a character dies. The dead army, just like Gandalf and the Rohirrim, save the day when all seems lost and the eagles pop out of nowhere and save Frodo and Sam.

Overall, what makes these films unique is their ability to satisfy such a wide spectrum of film-goers, from mainstream audiences to the critics to the avid Tolkien fans. Most of the flaws (which tend to be nitpicky anyways) in Return of the King are easily forgotten and swept away by the sheer weight of its strengths. The Lord of the Rings is to this generation of film-goers what Star Wars was to its, and it will undoubtably be considered one of the greatest cinematic achievements of all time.

9.5/10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)