Losing my motivation... (1 Viewer)

turbospero

HSC
Im an academic student but during these holidays and all through this year, i dunno what happened.

Maybe it's a combination of few bad teachers (especially in my weakest subject, english. hate my english teacher SO MUCH... :mad:), stress, my pessamism, the fact that i worry a lot and a few personal dramas here and there, but i can feel myself slipping.

Ive had my half yearlies this week and last week (as most of you have) and honestly, i started making my notes at the start of the holidays and rushing through and cramming them ( im horrible i know). By the start of this week, i was still finishing off my notes for a few exams i had this week. As you've probably guessed, they're pretty dodgy notes. Basically, for every exam ive had this week ive been cramming my notes one or two days before the day of the exam.

I was sitting through my software test today and for the first time in years, i sat there not knowing what the hell to do for a lot of the questions and i found myself pulling shit outa thin air for a lot of my answers... =\

Halfway through studying, i just start thinking about wanting to give up on school and im pretty pissed off at this point, which messes up my concentration which in turn, pisses me off more lol... I keep telling myself- it's too hard, i cant be bothered with this anymore... Of course, id never forgive myself if i gave up like that, which means im stuck between giving up and steaming on. Right now, i couldnt care less about my goals... They just suddenly stopped mattering to me...

I'm aiming for 98+ for my UAI and for a kid who everyone had faith in to get that UAI, i dunno anymore haha.

Starting this weekend, im gunna redo my notes and organise them right this time. Pack a little more info in and try using bold/highlighted words and diagrams to help me remember stuff better AND do my notes as the year progresses, not just right before the exam. Lol, and see my software teacher about my exam XD I need to start fresh...

If youre wondering why im posting this here it's cus i need to get this off my chest and the internet happens to be a convenient place to do that :p

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
turbospero said:
Im an academic student but during these holidays and all through this year, i dunno what happened.

Maybe it's a combination of few bad teachers (especially in my weakest subject, english. hate my english teacher SO MUCH... :mad:), stress, my pessamism, the fact that i worry a lot and a few personal dramas here and there, but i can feel myself slipping.

Ive had my half yearlies this week and last week (as most of you have) and honestly, i started making my notes at the start of the holidays and rushing through and cramming them ( im horrible i know). By the start of this week, i was still finishing off my notes for a few exams i had this week. As you've probably guessed, they're pretty dodgy notes. Basically, for every exam ive had this week ive been cramming my notes one or two days before the day of the exam.

I was sitting through my software test today and for the first time in years, i sat there not knowing what the hell to do for a lot of the questions and i found myself pulling shit outa thin air for a lot of my answers... =\

Halfway through studying, i just start thinking about wanting to give up on school and im pretty pissed off at this point, which messes up my concentration which in turn, pisses me off more lol... I keep telling myself- it's too hard, i cant be bothered with this anymore... Of course, id never forgive myself if i gave up like that, which means im stuck between giving up and steaming on. Right now, i couldnt care less about my goals... They just suddenly stopped mattering to me...

I'm aiming for 98+ for my UAI and for a kid who everyone had faith in to get that UAI, i dunno anymore haha.

Starting this weekend, im gunna redo my notes and organise them right this time. Pack a little more info in and try using bold/highlighted words and diagrams to help me remember stuff better AND do my notes as the year progresses, not just right before the exam. Lol, and see my software teacher about my exam XD I need to start fresh...

If youre wondering why im posting this here it's cus i need to get this off my chest and the internet happens to be a convenient place to do that :p
Thanks for sharing your story. I truly understand your situation as I was awkwardly placed in your situation last year. As an accelerant student, I once wanted to give up my accelerated Mathematics Extension 1 last year and I actually went as far as considering General Mathematics & Fundamentals of English in the first term of my Year 10. First term last year was full of stress, pathetic cohort, lenient teacher & terrible results as I had to cope with Year 10, Preliminary Mathematics and Preliminary HSC Mathematics (by myself). I was basically struck by the stage known as the 'confusion stage'. I was confused and didn't know what to do. Throughout the term 2 last year, I began to review my way of study method & I renewed my approach in regards to subjects. I started studying minimum of 1 hour for maths everyday and began reading newspapers.

At the end of Term 2, when I got my half-yearly results, I ended up with 10% in 4 subjects with relatively poor results in English, PD/H/PE, Science and History. However, I was pleased with my performance as I expected less achievements.

In Term 3, I continued my tradition of 'consistent studies'. I studied 1-2 hours everyday for maths and another hour for reading & memorising vocabulary. I also started studying for each subject 3 weeks prior. My study method began to improve my results. At the end of term 4, after my SC results, I came first in 3 subjects - Mathematics, Studies of Religion I and Commerce. I came 2nd in Geography and Science. Then I came top 5% in other subjects like History. My marks in English improved enormously.

I really need to stress that consistent studying is the key to success. I am not in a position to say this as I am not that consistent at the moment (I am physically burnt-out). However, reading your post motivated me a bit. I thank you and I hope you get motivated from reading my post as well.

Don't lose your purpose. Purpose is the main motivating force. Good luck.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Thanks for sharing your story. I truly understand your situation as I was awkwardly placed in your situation last year. As an accelerant student, I once wanted to give up my accelerated Mathematics Extension 1 last year and I actually went as far as considering General Mathematics & Fundamentals of English in the first term of my Year 10. First term last year was full of stress, pathetic cohort, lenient teacher & terrible results as I had to cope with Year 10, Preliminary Mathematics and Preliminary HSC Mathematics (by myself). I was basically struck by the stage known as the 'confusion stage'. I was confused and didn't know what to do. Throughout the term 2 last year, I began to review my way of study method & I renewed my approach in regards to subjects. I started studying minimum of 1 hour for maths everyday and began reading newspapers.

At the end of Term 2, when I got my half-yearly results, I ended up with 10% in 4 subjects with relatively poor results in English, PD/H/PE, Science and History. However, I was pleased with my performance as I expected less achievements.

In Term 3, I continued my tradition of 'consistent studies'. I studied 1-2 hours everyday for maths and another hour for reading & memorising vocabulary. I also started studying for each subject 3 weeks prior. My study method began to improve my results. At the end of term 4, after my SC results, I came first in 3 subjects - Mathematics, Studies of Religion I and Commerce. I came 2nd in Geography and Science. Then I came top 5% in other subjects like History. My marks in English improved enormously.

I really need to stress that consistent studying is the key to success. I am not in a position to say this as I am not that consistent at the moment (I am physically burnt-out). However, reading your post motivated me a bit. I thank you and I hope you get motivated from reading my post as well.

That is quite an inspiring improvement ;)

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Aplus said:
That is quite an inspiring improvement ;)
I agree, it shows you that through hard work and determination anyone can succeed.
Its all about how much you truly want to do well in the end, if you have no determination to succeed then you wont, keep your cool, relax and study hard :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:

Following that improvement, I am currently first in all my subjects except Business Studies & Chemistry. My this term's goal is to remain in my current ranks & hopefully achieve higher marks in Business Studies & Chemistry to be ranked first in all my subjects. :D :D :D

st1m

HSC
jeez im on the same boat as you man turbospero

im still in the holiday zone.

Anyone help? i can't study as much as i used to

bye

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
melanieeeee. said:
congrats lyounamu. :)
Thanks. Coming to this website motivates me (and sometimes increases the likelihood of my procrastination :( ).

I am currently in the 'burnt-out' stage but I will take advantage of this weekend to get back on track (hopefully).

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I've been losing my motivation as well. I don't seem determined enough in comparison to Christmas Holidays, where I was really determined and started working ahead. I'm becoming more lazy as well. I had my Economics exam today, and I didn't study for it, even though I could answer every question. I also forgot about the exam being on today, until my friends said to me 'Reshad, we have an Economics exam'. I thought 'SHIT'... So much for my organisational skills...If I did study, my marks would obviously be more higher and I would've finished the exam quicker, whilst laughing at each question :D.

Listen to Lyounamu's advice. It's quite inspiring :). Good luck, you won't be the only one trying to gain your motivation...

D

dillay

I'm actually losing my motivation atm D:. i got my half yearly results back and im quiet shocked. i knew i was going to fail maths because i absolutly hate the damn subject but i never did expect to only get 5% out of a 25% exam (thats how much goes towards my uai). i'm also losing my rip on other subjects and i seem to find my marks keep getting lower and lower, its really starting to get to me

i donno what to do, i NEEEEED a tutor for maths. i cant teach myself how to do half the question i get because i dont understand but my parents are afford one :/

i can improve on other subjects on my own but ive just lost all motivation to even try D:

D

dillay

lyounamu said:

i agree with others, it is inspirational :3

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
lyounamu said:

it made me cry
jkz but it was inspiartional

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
Following that improvement, I am currently first in all my subjects except Business Studies & Chemistry. My this term's goal is to remain in my current ranks & hopefully achieve higher marks in Business Studies & Chemistry to be ranked first in all my subjects. :D :D :D
Wow thats great! Congrats. I'm coming first in English (Advanced and Extension) and Chemistry
My goal for this term is to pick up my bio and maths marks and keep these positions.

Do you have hot competition in Chem and Business?? Or are they just subjects you arent as good as the others in (of course I am sure all your marks are great).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Sarah182 said:
Wow thats great! Congrats. I'm coming first in English (Advanced and Extension) and Chemistry
My goal for this term is to pick up my bio and maths marks and keep these positions.

Do you have hot competition in Chem and Business?? Or are they just subjects you arent as good as the others in (of course I am sure all your marks are great).
I have a very 'hot' competition in Chemistry. It is just that I am competing against my school's future Dux. He is going to top the state in either Chemistry or Physics. He is a true genius (and based on my experience with other geniuses, I can truly say that he is the top quality!).

In Business Studies, I did not study for the exam even though it is my favourite subject. I think I underestimated the work (how stupid of me!!!). I came 2nd with 0.5 mark behind. So it will be easy for me to catch up the top guy.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
lyounamu said:

Please make my babies.

Nah jokes. :p Thanks for the inspiration, I'm going through a similar phase. :mad1:

HSC
I was all motivated, but something happened which just makes me want to push it all aside. My english teacher, for adavnced.. I handed in three texts for Imaginative Journey, and apparantly he only got 2 of them. This girl who was at the library with me, who saw me print it out, vouched for me. He said it was fine, that these things happen, and that I should re-hand it in the next day. So i did. Funny how today he told me he couldnt mark my text,..oh and by the way, your lucky you werent N awarded, i gave you a mark for your other two texts, which means i get a 7/15. This is worth 15 %. Ok if i didnt hand it in period, like some people who sent it over the net and it wasnt recieved. Thats a little dogy. But he trusts me, and i have never handed in anything late ever. I thought he would give me a break, knowing that this was worth so much, and since he was probably the one who misplaced it. But i guess he cares so much about going by the book, and so now.

I could care less about english.

Since my average is so screwed. It went down from 78.. to 50ish.

w/e.

Last edited:

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Wow, i topped my english class for my last assessment with a 12 out of 15. I was like, OMG! I got 12!!! Then I was like, geez if 12 is the top of the class, that doesn't really say much about the quality of the people in it. :( I really hate english. I wish they kept things simple and straightforward, just like chemistry and math.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
Take my advice: Do not lose motivation throughout the year and have the attitude of 'screw this' like I did. No matter your capability, you will not do as well as you could and will regret it.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
its hard to just say become motivated again. i think the best solution is go see the counselor.
p.s. foram no one cares that you topped english. the thread is about losing motivation i don't see how what you have said contributes to the topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)