losing weight at GYM? (1 Viewer)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Korn said:
Well as i have been told eating lettuce burns more calories then it contains so it makes u lose weight, as weight lose is all about using more calories then you consume
The basic theory is that supposedly the energy required in it's digestion and utilisation is more than the amount of energy in the lettuce itself. Now of course, intuitively that would imply that this is a 'negative calorie' food and loses you weight. But alot of physiologists and dieticians are skeptical of it due to a plethora of more complicated reasons. *shrugs* Whether or not negative calorie foods are legit, it's still good for you to eat lettuce, because alot of it is just water weight and hence overall lettuce is low in calories (and fills you up).

As for 'weight loss is about using more calories than you consume', there's speculation about the validity of that on using it too literally, because many factors come into play. Most importantly, calories burnt off can come from many sources, such as the carbs you consume, the protein you have (muscle mass) or body fat itself. Hence the nature of your diet can be very important. For example, assume your maintainance caloric total is about 2,500, if you eat 6 small meals a day with minimal sugar and saturated fats (2,000 calories worth), chances are you'll lose some body fat. But if you just ate a huge stock of lollies in one meal (2,000 calories worth).. and that was your day's diet.. you won't lose weight. Chances are, you might even gain weight. How? Because the huge insulin spike generated by the sugar will instigate a huge amount of those carbs from the lollies to be converted to fat via the liver. And since you ate only one meal, you'll lose alot of muscle mass too (as low glycogen stores instigate the body to utilise some protein for energy). So overall, you lost muscle mass and gained body fat.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
gobaby said:
isnt it embarrasing going to the gym with really built macho guys with veins sticking out of their muscles running on both teadmills beside you, running twice as fast and looking over at your screen constantly to see how many calories you've burned off ...

i find that so intimadating .. *runs off and cries*

lol oh hell no

the thing is... i think big macho men or really athletic people see fat/unfit/big fatties on a treadmill and think ... good on them, i'de rather see a fat woman doing some walking, working out and excercising then seeing them pig out on a bucket of KFC or something equally disgusting and unhealthy

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
in about 2 months i've lost about 7 kilos. from 115 to 108 kg. this has been along with doing other shit, like organising for uni, etc. didnt really have the chance to go to gym whenever(shared family car, now i have my own;)). also, by slightly watching what i eat. i still have days when i eat junk and dun go to gym often. dont need to stress too much.
i've lost fat and gained muscle. basically now, till end of april, i am dedicating at least 30 mins running. and rest doing light weights long reps. light as in one level below your normal, 20kg on the curly bar (for bicep curls) instead of 30 or 35. also doing chin ups, pull ups, tricep push ups all on the lats machine. ab work out. and some other ones. but yeh basing it around focusing on cardio. plan to go gym 4+ times a week with a program like above, slightly less on weights depending on mood/time. should hit sub 100 by end of april. :D

edit: dont really know whats an ideal weight for me.

i am thinking around mid 90's?. i'm just over 6 ft, 183 cms. and big build, not complete fat.

Last edited:

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
redruM said:
in about 2 months i've lost about 7 kilos. from 115 to 108 kg. this has been along with doing other shit, like organising for uni, etc. didnt really have the chance to go to gym whenever(shared family car, now i have my own;)). also, by slightly watching what i eat. i still have days when i eat junk and dun go to gym often. dont need to stress too much.
i've lost fat and gained muscle. basically now, till end of april, i am dedicating at least 30 mins running. and rest doing light weights long reps. light as in one level below your normal, 20kg on the curly bar (for bicep curls) instead of 30 or 35. also doing chin ups, pull ups, tricep push ups all on the lats machine. ab work out. and some other ones. but yeh basing it around focusing on cardio. plan to go gym 4+ times a week with a program like above, slightly less on weights depending on mood/time. should hit sub 100 by end of april. :D

i am thinking around mid 90's?. i'm just over 6 ft, 183 cms. and big build, not complete fat.
If u do alot of muscle work u will likely gain weight, as muscle is like 2-3 times the density of fat

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
redruM said:

Your ideal BMI according to http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/careers_explorer/bmi.html
is between 67-83kg

Collin

HSC
N/A
BMI can become pretty irrelevant to males who gym for muscle gain.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
JKDDragon said:
True, i wouldnt take BMI as gospel, but i guess if ur trying to lose weight it could be a good thing to go by, then u can start putting on the muscle

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
I'm starting to go the gym too. I just gotta eat good food which basically works out to be boring. This is gonna be hard but it'll be woth it.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
redruM said:

You should be aiming for mid 80s... Considering wat u told me u wanted...
Cos my optimum wright is 85kg :p
I'm 90 atm, prolly be going up to early 90s once I lose the rest of my fat & gain more muscle...

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
JKDDragon said:
true according to bmi im overwieght!

jkd what did you decide to major in?

X

xeuyrawp

69^boi said:
hi ppl i was just wondering wot gym is like, is it really good?
ok i break it to you straight:

well, you see im a pretty fat bastard and after the hsc i wanna lose all those fat
of my thighs, ass, tummi and chest(manboobs) oh yea and i cut out damm fuken junk foods like krispykreme, marebars, doritos, &maccas

whch gym do you go?? does it cost alot?

Much appreciated
Gyms are cool, but you could just go jogging for free. Gyms make you feel "ah, i better go to the gym or i've wasted money", too, which is good

Miliux

Livin' in Amsterdam
HSC
soha said:
i joined fitness first gym today
i dont know..i think im regretting it
its 40 bux a fortnight
so 20 bux a week
i dont even think i will go enough times
like once a week if im lucky

plus i have no one to go with
they rang me saying i won some free trial..total bullshit..it was a tour around the gym..then they sed they would knock back 100 bux from the joining fees if i join today
so i did..on the spot decision
now..i dunno..
but hopefully i will go as much as i can..im always bored..and wasting time on here
so i guess i'll make the most of it
Its pretty useless to your body if you only go once a week. You have to be going to gym at least 3 times a week/every second day.

Otherwise you're just wasting your money down the drain.

I go to gym before going to lectures. That means waking up 7am in the morning, catch transport to Chatswood's Space Gym, workout for 1 hours then head to uni. I managed my uni timetable to I can go to gym before lectures 3 times a week (excluding weekend).

Fix up your schedule...this is a lifestyle choice.

Miliux

Livin' in Amsterdam
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Gyms are cool, but you could just go jogging for free. Gyms make you feel "ah, i better go to the gym or i've wasted money", too, which is good

Haha. Works for me. It's called the guilt factor. The gym direct debit 80 bucks off me every month and I feel I have the urge to utilise that membership. So yeah...have been continuously going to gym since November...3-4 times a week.

Miliux

Livin' in Amsterdam
HSC
Oh BTW: I recken the best cardio workout is at rave parties. Ya dance like crazy flogging the dance floor trying to keep rythem 0.5 sec. Try that for 10 hours straight from 9pm to 7am...and walla...ya already have done 1/2 your weekly cardio recommendation.

:rolleyes:

tyra

HSC
Miliux said:
Haha. Works for me. It's called the guilt factor. The gym direct debit 80 bucks off me every month and I feel I have the urge to utilise that membership. So yeah...have been continuously going to gym since November...3-4 times a week.
plus being in an environment where everyone is striving hard to lose weight and get fit really motivates you to do the same.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Dash said:
You should be aiming for mid 80s... Considering wat u told me u wanted...
Cos my optimum wright is 85kg :p
I'm 90 atm, prolly be going up to early 90s once I lose the rest of my fat & gain more muscle...
mid 80's seems so far away :eek:

s0k0y0e0

HSC
sub said:
y get on a treadmill run in real life...apparently its better (fresh air etc)
im also a gym n00b :)
It's true; real running is better! When you are running on a treadmill it's actually doing alot of the work for you. If you run (literally, by yourself) your body uses heaps of muscles u'd never use on a treadmill, like the ones to make you move forward; as a result you get better muscle tone, and get fitter quicker and more effective!

Real running is MUCH better for your body! :uhhuh: And funner, you get to see some sights! :)

X

xeuyrawp

PiNkPiXiE said:
It's true; real running is better! When you are running on a treadmill it's actually doing alot of the work for you. If you run (literally, by yourself) your body uses heaps of muscles u'd never use on a treadmill, like the ones to make you move forward; as a result you get better muscle tone, and get fitter quicker and more effective!

Real running is MUCH better for your body! :uhhuh: And funner, you get to see some sights! :)
It's also worse for your back and knees.

Collin

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
For me, it's more like a psychological 'Ah, I better go to the gym or else I'll start losing muscle mass and strength'.... the money part has never personally bothered me.

tyra

HSC
yeah the money part has never really bothered me until my parents mentioned 'what?? you're like wasting hundreds of dollars a year when you could be spending it on better stuff like a car!' that really put things in perspective, but if i didn't go to the gym then i'd be fat as a blimp. i only ever like using treadmills, i hate real jogging.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)