• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

losing weight at GYM? (3 Viewers)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Don't worry, everyone starts off as a n00b. First time I went to the gym, I couldn't for the life of me operate a leg press machine (the level thingy you have to push out).. so overall I got pretty owned that day.

$a®e

HSC
i have a gym membership and i think its wonderful...only been a member since january and i have lost about 7-8kgs..it works wonders!!! you should definately join one.

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
Gym's great place to work out. I've found my body is more toned and beginning to bulk up. It's good.

tyra

HSC
working out at the gym is so bloody time consuming though. i find myself spending more time at the gym than doing my uni work.

Amryllis

HSC
tyra said:
working out at the gym is so bloody time consuming though. i find myself spending more time at the gym than doing my uni work.
Yeah, I went to the gym at uni everyday for 2 weeks last year. I spent so much time there I was seriously neglecting my studies. Coz I got a one month membership and I wanted to get the most out of it. Though the 2 weeks of working out every week day didn't do very much... Apart from taking up too much of my time. NOT a good idea. Moderation is the key. Now I do two 1 hr 45 mins dance classes per week to keep up the exercise.

tempco

HSC
i cant see myself working in the gym.. i'd rather just play a lotta sports :D

although i probably need to start going to the gym... im starting to play a bit of tennis and im seriously lacking in upper body strength >_<

callisto

has called it a day
HSC
i don't go to the gym that often cause i'm always doing exercise outside. i go to the beach nearly every day + surf a couple of times a week, and I go to dance class once a week.

my main workout is jogging and I normally do about 1 hr at a time cause I'm a bit of a long distance runner plus its fun! especially when you take a discman/ipod cause running along to high-powered music is great.
i do like using the treadmills at the gym tho, cause it can measure the distance and time you've done. plus it's always cool when you step off and the next person jumps on to see see that you've just done a 10km run :D

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I recently joined the UTS Gym and have been going about three times a week.... too early to see any physical results, but I feel good after finishing a work out. So hard to fit in at the moment with three jobs + uni, but I should have more time for it soon.

UTS Gym is so cheap, it's great! And they just renovated it, so it is pretty nice with more machines and stuff. I would love to be able to do dance classes instead several times a week, but I don't have the money for that unfortunately :(

I'm quite overweight but I have been trying to eat more healthily.... my whole family (the females) have big asses and big thighs.... I really want to slim mine down, but I am not sure how to go about it.... they are actually quite muscular, but very bulky! How can I slim my thighs without gaining muscle bulk on them? Plus will using the bikes at the gym for cardio make my thighs bigger?

I'm trying to build my muscles in my arms and abs because I want to increase my metabolism.... I don't want to have big muscles I just want to tone my arms. What would be the best exercises for this?

The best part about UTS Gym is that all the classes are included in membership.... I'm annoyed though because Yoga and Pilates is always on when I have classes or work! But I might try kickboxing this week, that should be fun lol.

Collin

HSC
N/A
braindrainedAsh said:
I recently joined the UTS Gym and have been going about three times a week.... too early to see any physical results, but I feel good after finishing a work out. So hard to fit in at the moment with three jobs + uni, but I should have more time for it soon.

UTS Gym is so cheap, it's great! And they just renovated it, so it is pretty nice with more machines and stuff. I would love to be able to do dance classes instead several times a week, but I don't have the money for that unfortunately :(

I'm quite overweight but I have been trying to eat more healthily.... my whole family (the females) have big asses and big thighs.... I really want to slim mine down, but I am not sure how to go about it.... they are actually quite muscular, but very bulky! How can I slim my thighs without gaining muscle bulk on them? Plus will using the bikes at the gym for cardio make my thighs bigger?

I'm trying to build my muscles in my arms and abs because I want to increase my metabolism.... I don't want to have big muscles I just want to tone my arms. What would be the best exercises for this?

The best part about UTS Gym is that all the classes are included in membership.... I'm annoyed though because Yoga and Pilates is always on when I have classes or work! But I might try kickboxing this week, that should be fun lol.
To slim your thighs without gaining much muscle bulk, just do what you would normally do to lose weight healthily: Refine your diet and increase activity. This includes incidental activity (e.g walking to work instead of catching the bus/train, taking the stairs instead of the elevator), occupational activity (move out more when at your job), and of course leisure activity (do more cardio at the gym). You won't tend to bulk up your legs, but it will certainly become more toned = double win.

Situps, crunches, obliques etc. build abdominal muscles. Aim to do 3 - 4 sets of 20 (at a resistance level so that you fail at 20).

Dumbell curls, barbell curls, machine curls, hammer curls, dips, pullups, chinups, tricep pulldowns, skull crushers etc. all build muscle around your arms.

If you want to increase your metabolism via muscle gains, you should work out more body parts. Do compound exercises like the bench press for your chest. This not only builds up a big muscle of your body, but also doesnt make you look that bulky, but only accentuate the female curves (by pushing your boobs out more).

BrenKHS

HSC
I think JKDDragon summed it up well with his posts.

A couple of things to add:
A change in muscle size is due to hypertrophy, the ideal number of reps for hypertrophy is between 8-12 and it sets of 3-4.

Someone who is looking for pure strength gains should concentrate on heavy low rep, high set weights i.e 5 sets of 5 reps.

Looking "toned" is about low Body Fat %. Your not going to look toned until you have a BF% of below 15%. And lifting 2kg on bicep curls for 1/2 an hour DOES NOT make you looked toned if you are fat.

People tend to overlook the legs when they start weightlifting. Forgetting that testosterone boosts occur when people are lifting big compound movements. People who don't squat ARE NOT seriously lifting. Deadlifts are also good but people don't like doing them for some reason. :shrugs:. And of course the biggest ego lift of all, bench pressing.

I also like doing power cleans. They develop explosive strength better than any other exercise.

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
deadlifts are my fav exercise..... i love doing them.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
do people have any sites that they refer to?

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
melbournian said:
Hahaha, same. I refuse to even contemplate doing my work, until I've hit the gym for the day (well unless I decide to have a rest day).
that's a fucking worry. it's a body image issue just like anorexia

it may be okay if you were doing it for sport but i doubt you are playing serious sport

theone123

blue essence
HSC
health experts,

why is it that, on a empty stomach and when you start doing gym work, you start to lose energy and maybe blackout?

Collin

HSC
N/A
Ugh, because your body is low in energy since you have an empty stomach? I thought this was slightly trivial. :confused:

theone123

blue essence
HSC
JKDDragon said:
Ugh, because your body is low in energy since you have an empty stomach? I thought this was slightly trivial. :confused:
but i thought when when your too full, it is also not good.

Collin

HSC
N/A
theone123 said:
but i thought when when your too full, it is also not good.
Yeah, but that's irrelevant to your original question concerning 'losing energy' or passing out.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Murf said:
sorry if im thread hijacking but the fitnessy / workout ppls sorta seem to be in this thread and seeing as theres no specific forum :p

i waz wondering does any one do any ab specific sorta exersises each day? ive been doing 150 to 190 situps each day and about 50 pushups per day do u think a run a few times a week will also help???

does any one else do something similar :p

thnks

murf
Help to achieve what though? In fitness you should always be doing something to achieve a certain goal.. should it be muscle gain, fitness gain, weight loss.. whatever. Whatever you're trying to achieve though, there is absolutely no need to do abs every day, let alone 150-190 reps. Your abdominals are muscles, and as such they need REST after a workout. Remember your muscles repair and regrow during the 48-72 hours after your workout. So there is absolutely no point of working them out every day.. infact chances are you'll increase your chances of overtraining and injury. Also with situps, the emphasis should be on technique. Quality over quantity. 4 sets of 20 quality situps should be more than enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)