• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

losing weight at GYM? (1 Viewer)

DJ_Cam

Insecure Teen
HSC
N/A
Murf said:
sorry if im thread hijacking but the fitnessy / workout ppls sorta seem to be in this thread and seeing as theres no specific forum :p

i waz wondering does any one do any ab specific sorta exersises each day? ive been doing 150 to 190 situps each day and about 50 pushups per day do u think a run a few times a week will also help???

does any one else do something similar :p

thnks

murf
Hmm yeh, like JKD said, 150+ reps each day-WAYYYYY too many.

Treat abs like every other muscle in the body, they work exactly the same way. Keep reps low, until failure. 10-20 should be enough. If this is too easy add weights to your situps. The abs also need time to repair and grow. 3 workouts once a week is more than plenty.

Get BF down to around 10%. Many people work out properly and become frustrated when they can't see any development, when it's simply a case of having too high a bodyfat level.

Mix up your exercises too. After a while the body will adapt to a certain form of exercise and its efficiency will be reduced. Remember to target not only the upper abs, but lower abs and obliques also.

BrenKHS

HSC
Theres a yoga move for abs that is very good at developing the transverse abdominals (muscles underneath the rectus abdominals which are "6 Pack" muscles), called the "plank".

What you do is get yourself into a push-up like position. Instead of your palms on the ground, use your forearms to hold yourself up. Hold this position for about 30-60 seconds depending on your fitness level.

If you aim is hypertrophy then working abs every second day is optimal. If your aim is mainly sports-orientated then every day is fine, as long as your not tearing the muscles.

RIZAL

HSC
does anyone here take any supplements? i'm on Optimum Nutrition whey protein and creatine....not sure whether this is the best brand though?

adsta

HSC
I was on creatine for a couple months last year. It worked as it was meant to, but the side effects scared me.

DJ_Cam

Insecure Teen
HSC
N/A
Creatine shouldn't cause problems if you're keeping yourself well hydrated.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Isaaq said:
does anyone here take any supplements? i'm on Optimum Nutrition whey protein and creatine....not sure whether this is the best brand though?
In my prime bulking phase at the end of last year.. I took a stack load of shit.. including ZMA, chromium, calcium etc. but now I've reduced it down to the mains; multi-vitamin/mineral, protein whey, creatine, glutamine and sometimes omega-3 capsules.

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
IMO weights for ab exercises are unwise because they cause a lot of lower back stress. It is my opinion that 'growing' the abs isn't the safest way to achieve a 6 pack or whatever and that it's pretty inefficient anyway. Just do a normal amount of conventional abdominal work (such as 3 lots of 60-80sec of the static position described by BrenKHS every second day) and make more of an effort to increase cardio fitness and get rid of any fat you might have around your stomach.

I have a couple of mates who are quite strong but can't for the life of them get abs. They try bloody hard to get them and all the weights in the world don't seem to help (around their ankles when lifting the feet whilst lying on their back, etc). Same with this dude doing hundreds of reps. For me, the abs don't respond to the same training that makes other muscles look the way people want them to.

I'm not big on the whole weights thing anyway (I'm happy benching my bodyweight and that is all I need).

The unfit massive people of this world will have to realise one day that if they want a 6 pack, they're going to have to get off their lazy arses, get those chicken legs moving and go for a run!

Last edited:

RIZAL

HSC
Yeah I think you can get good abs by cutting (lots of cardio) and keeping your diet clean (no junk). Most people who have done all the ab exercises but still see no results simply have a crap load of fat covering their abdominals.

I haven't noticed any 'side effects' of creatine :)

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
Isaaq said:
Yeah I think you can get good abs by cutting (lots of cardio) and keeping your diet clean (no junk). Most people who have done all the ab exercises but still see no results simply have a crap load of fat covering their abdominals.

I haven't noticed any 'side effects' of creatine :)

abs are made in the kitchen :p

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
JKDDragon said:
In my prime bulking phase at the end of last year.. I took a stack load of shit.. including ZMA, chromium, calcium etc. but now I've reduced it down to the mains; multi-vitamin/mineral, protein whey, creatine, glutamine and sometimes omega-3 capsules.

just wondering why you have 'phases' are u a pro bodybuilder?

RIZAL

HSC
I bulk and cut and I am definitely not a pro bodybuilder!

these are my stats (cold):

Height - 179 cm
Arms - 14.5 inches
Chest - 39 inches
Weight - 176 pounds/80kg

i'm in the middle of a bulk to 85kg.

everyone else post ur stats!

Collin

HSC
N/A
mr_speedy said:
just wondering why you have 'phases' are u a pro bodybuilder?
No, but if you wanted to build muscle effectively in a certain time frame, often the need arises to have different phases.. generally a bulking phase and a cutting phase. People who's bulked up enough often employ in an indefinitely 'maintenance' phase.

Anyway stats:

Phase: semi-cut/maintenance
H: 168cm
W: 83kg

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
i posted this a while back and no one responded. :eek:

are there any sites you guys use to get info for exercises, stretches, etc.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
dude or not?

cant believe the image name is "hottie1.jpg"

RIZAL

HSC
JKDDragon said:
No, but if you wanted to build muscle effectively in a certain time frame, often the need arises to have different phases.. generally a bulking phase and a cutting phase. People who's bulked up enough often employ in an indefinitely 'maintenance' phase.

Anyway stats:

Phase: semi-cut/maintenance
H: 168cm
W: 83kg

geez you must be pretty solid for that height and weight. good work.

do you know what your bf% is?

Collin

HSC
N/A
Isaaq said:
geez you must be pretty solid for that height and weight. good work.

do you know what your bf% is?
Thanks.. around 13-14%. Probably get it down to around 10 before doing another bulk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)