• I'm a girl and NO I'm not

Votes: 71 14.1%
  • I'm a boy and I'm hella sexy

Votes: 158 31.5%

• Total voters
HSC
N/A
Re: Are YOU trying to lose weight?

once again, what do you think dancers do? Just put on music and dance non-stop? Whether pro or amateur, we all follow the same pattern.... Do combo/routine, short break. Combo/routine again. Short break. Dance again. short break. dance. break. dance. break. dance. break.

The classes or rehearsals may go on for up to several hours, and it seems like they're dancing constantly, but they're actually taking very short breaks all the way through... enough to catch your breath, find a new spot etc. In some cases the choreography is so high-intensity that you CAN'T dance for more than a few minutes without having a drink break, anyway.

Skeeta said:
oh mang

my b/fs mum owns a dance studio and has been bugging me to take a class since we have been going out (like.. 5 years now)

I have always declined because i didnt really want to embarras myself in front of her because i cannot run for 20mins straight.

BUT IF ITS SHORT BURSTS

*thinks*
haha, I don't think I could run for 20mins atm either, lol. But I'll do a 2 hour dance class :D Gotta remember that you won't be going hard all the lesson - warmups and starting combos are normally low/medium intensity, then the end routine itself may only be medium/high intensity :)

BlackDragon

HSC

You are doing interval training or fartlek training. This is also common in running is good because it requires a pretty decent level of aerobic fitness (due to the continued period of the excercise) plus it works your anaerobic fitness to the max.
So you are doing what is required. You don't have to do it continuously - though i never once said that.

Fartlek: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek

Libbster

HSC

BlackDragon said:
haha. that is so light. 56.
at my height 1.74m, 56kg is not light for high jumping, its bordering on fat bastard lol :p

i could barely get over the bar atm :(

alby

cool duckie
HSC

a high jumper's (or any athlete) weight is a whole different story compared to 'regular' people's weight

BlackDragon

HSC

alby said:
a high jumper's (or any athlete) weight is a whole different story compared to 'regular' people's weight
omg there was this guy at our school who could jump 2.07 - Sam Cameron.
he's try out for the AIS now or something like that.

lengy

HSC

Hmm... well I was never much of a training person but I did love sports. I remember I did circuit at the gym for weekly sport and I got a few awards for going first, second and third at the Athletics carnival. Then when I changed schools the only fitness I got were soccer at lunch yet that made me able to compete with more sporty and active people who took sport seriously.

alby

cool duckie
HSC

Legham said:
^So, get an exercise bike, sit it in front of your computer or tv and listen to music up real loud, or watch a movie :) That's what i do nearly everyday for at least 40 minutes and i never get bored..
yeah, and we all have excersise bikes (or the money for them) just laying around the place :rolleyes:
be realistic

alby

cool duckie
HSC

running possibly, but not all sports. and not everyone can do/has access to them anyway (stamina, money, location)

Legham

HSC

yeah, and we all have excersise bikes (or the money for them) just laying around the place
be realistic
Pick one up for like $70 from kmart.. thats what mine is.. cheap as, but it does the job.

HSC
N/A

BlackDragon said:
You are doing interval training or fartlek training. This is also common in running is good because it requires a pretty decent level of aerobic fitness (due to the continued period of the excercise) plus it works your anaerobic fitness to the max.
So you are doing what is required. You don't have to do it continuously - though i never once said that.

Fartlek: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek
Well, this seemed to imply otherwise

BlackDragon said:
if you just do sprints then you may, to a certain extent, raise your anaerobic (fitness over short distances) fitness. but if you just go sprinting for 10 - 15 minutes as HARD as you can every day, you'll improve a bit but in the end it will do absolutely nothing - and when you try to run in a race or something you'll be just as crud as you've ever been.

you have to raise your heart rate into the aerobic threshold for 30 min (at least) if you want to become fitter and healthier.
reading over it I think I can see how I misinterpreted it though, my bad :)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

BlackDragon said:
you need to raise your heart rate into the aerobic threshold for at least 30 mins to do anything really. so basically, you have to be really going at it for at least half an hour, but an hour if you want to do anything decent.
what you could do is, run as far as you can in 30 mins and then turn around and run back. then you can judge how well you are doing by the distance you get. or whatever :)

i don't run, i usually bike ride and i can do that for up to 5 hours at a time. (mountain biking).
oh i did that distance and then back thing a couple of times, it was fun - i almost made it out of my suburb when i did that lol (granted, my town is tiny) because it was downhill practically the whole way so i built up a lot of momentum and ran faster...then faced the uphill slog back :eek: lol.

PrettyVacant

HSC
Re: to lose the weighttt

Orange Juice said:
drop fruits, and substitute them for nuts. fruits have too much sugar, and as a result made me look like a teletubby
Nuts are very very high in fat (some >50% fat!), although it's "good" fat (no cholesterol, not saturated), it's still 9 calories per gram.
Sugar, on the other hand, is 4 calories per gram.

Click on: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-200-calories-look-like.htm to see 200 calories worth of almonds and 200 calories worth of fruits such as grapes and honeydew melon. 35 grams of almonds is 200 calories, whereas 553grams of honeydew melon is 200 calories.

In my opinion, more than half a kilo of melon is a lot more filling than 35 grams of almonds. And if it fills you up, you're less likely to want to eat more. WIN-WIN with fruit (though nuts are still healthy, I'm just disagreeing with your mentality to avoid fruits and eat nuts).

Another fact: 100 grams of plain macadamia nuts will provide 691 calories. 100 grams of a peach will provide just 38!! That's almost 20 times the calories, weight for weight.

Also, 100 grams of nuts will probably provide about 40-80 grams of fat, and you're only supposed to have 60 grams per day.

Therefore, fruits > nuts in losing weight. Even if they are high in sugar, nuts are high in fat. VERY HIGH IN FAT. They're also a condensed form of energy (per gram, more calories) so I always take them when I go on Duke of Ed expeditions because it's light and high in calories.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC

PrettyVacant said:
Nuts are very very high in fat (some >50% fat!), although it's "good" fat (no cholesterol, not saturated), it's still 9 calories per gram.
Sugar, on the other hand, is 4 calories per gram.

Click on: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-200-calories-look-like.htm to see 200 calories worth of almonds and 200 calories worth of fruits such as grapes and honeydew melon. 35 grams of almonds is 200 calories, whereas 553grams of honeydew melon is 200 calories.

In my opinion, more than half a kilo of melon is a lot more filling than 35 grams of almonds. And if it fills you up, you're less likely to want to eat more. WIN-WIN with fruit (though nuts are still healthy, I'm just disagreeing with your mentality to avoid fruits and eat nuts).

Another fact: 100 grams of plain macadamia nuts will provide 691 calories. 100 grams of a peach will provide just 38!! That's almost 20 times the calories, weight for weight.

Also, 100 grams of nuts will probably provide about 40-80 grams of fat, and you're only supposed to have 60 grams per day.

Therefore, fruits > nuts in losing weight. Even if they are high in sugar, nuts are high in fat. VERY HIGH IN FAT. They're also a condensed form of energy (per gram, more calories) so I always take them when I go on Duke of Ed expeditions because it's light and high in calories.
Ok so i dont know what im talking about. That site you posted is terrible. I hate to know how many calories i eat every day. Im going to take a wild stab and say, Pretty Vacant, you count your calories right?

How many calories is a male meant to have per day? That is, a healthy amount. I no longer want to be a teletubby.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC

Orange Juice said:
Ok so i dont know what im talking about. That site you posted is terrible. I hate to know how many calories i eat every day. Im going to take a wild stab and say, Pretty Vacant, you count your calories right?

How many calories is a male meant to have per day? That is, a healthy amount. I no longer want to be a teletubby.
2000 - 5000.

It depends how much you weigh.

I like to give myself around 1500-2000 because I'm small and trying to lose weight.

PrettyVacant

HSC

Orange Juice said:

Mmmaaybe I do count my calories a little. I tend to over-estimate how many calories I eat though. And yeah, depending on how much you weigh/how active you are/genes and basal metabolic rate (BMR - which is how many calories your body uses up per day just to keep your heart beating and maintain bodily processes).

Do more exercise, and don't go eating 10kgs of food. :p

Plus tellytubbies are cute. :) Po was my favourite.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC

Tulipa said:
2000 - 5000.

It depends how much you weigh.

I like to give myself around 1500-2000 because I'm small and trying to lose weight.
Thats quite a big range. I weight a little under 60kg, but im vertically challenged. And even 5000 calories doesnt seem like very much, going off those pictures in that link.
Since youre trying to lose weight, are you only doing cardio?

Pretty Vacant, i cant just restrain myself from eating. I try to eat more often and smaller portions, but ive barely put on nor loss weight the past few years. And by over estimating your calorie count, you eat less. Dont do that! Teletubbies arent cute when you see them in real life. Like for example, i go out and people see me and think "where have i seen this guy before?" Then they realise i saw him on tv as a teletubby!

It saddens me to see where society is at.

Last edited:

PrettyVacant

HSC

Well I eat when I'm hungry, but I don't normally get hungry between meals nowadays. Sometimes I'm not even hungry AT meals, but I don't know, you've gotta eat something.

And under 60 is incredibly light for a guy! I'm around 52-53, and I'm a tiny bit over 160.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC

Google it but that's it's an American thing.

Since you're little (no offence) maybe around 2000 calories a day I guess. But double check.

I'm trying to keep it around 1500 for now and yes I do a lot of running and biking to help try to shed the ugly kilos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)