lost in choosing a degree (1 Viewer)

akkjen

HSC
N/A
i don't know what course to pick for uni, i wanted to do computer science.....but everyone keeps saying it is saturated and no jobs. and to make it worse once you graduate you have to do exams to get the job which seems intimidating, what if you fail? since there are a heap of computer scientists there is basically always going to be someone better who will get the job. after spending 3-4 years in uni getting the degree i want a job after, even if it means i can't do what i want to.

any suggestions from those who have chosen a degree

Bob Jane

HSC
Who the hell told you that there are no jobs for computer science graduates???

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
^yeah lol??

Everyone I know of is employed.

Law is much more saturated than other fields yet still so many people want to do it. Just do what you like

Jolteon

HSC
I don't know where you got that information but majority of the CS graduates I know are employed with a decent-high starting salary. There are people I know who aren't even remotely interested in programming but force themselves to enroll in a CS degree at UNSW just for the salary alone. There are companies that literally employ fresh graduates every year.
It is literally anything BUT saturated.

But what is most important is that you do what you like. If you like it, then pursue it - if you're going to go into debt from HECTS, at least use the money on a degree you enjoy :))

Best of luck!

akkjen

HSC
N/A
seems like i am going to do it, how come it is 3 years compared to like SENG if they are the same thing basically

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
seems like i am going to do it, how come it is 3 years compared to like SENG if they are the same thing basically
Ah that's because SENG requires you to do Honours where you have to do a long project or something whereas CS does not force you to. CS also doesn't have the crappy SENG courses like software construction and ergonomics and what not

I would definitely recommend CS over SENG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)