Love maths? Help engage others with maths! (1 Viewer)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
So I was wondering if you guys could help bounce some ideas off.

SO think back to your junior school days, like Year 7 and 8. I know alot of you maths guys probably loved maths back then but some kids in Yr 7/8 are beginning to feel disengaged with maths.

So my school when I had to do my Year 7 maths assignment, it was ok like had to research different number systems.

So do you guys have any good ideas for a Year 7/8 maths assignment.
It could be anything really. I suppose two possible catergories could be;

*Researching something with maths in it
*Or using maths to like design a maths game or something

ANy of you BOSers with an affinity for maths have any good ideas? :D SOmething not too complex for Yr 7/8 but not too boring :) I suppose an open ended type thing could work, but I probably should have at least an example or two to have help the Yr 7/8s come up with their own.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Often I hear people say on the bus when discussing maths, "where are we ever going to use this in life" so maybe get them to research an application involving a topic of maths and get them to present it. It could be like a group presentation thing.

Or

I suppose you could design a maths trivia game/monopoly game.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^Thanks for the input Robot :D

It's to help a teacher set a yr 7/8 maths assignment. They want something good for their classes :) I have no younger sibling lol

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I always found History of Maths to be interesting.

I've been caught reading about how the ancients approximated pi from time to time...

iBibah

HSC
Hexaflexagons. Vi Hart.
This is actually pretty cool.

Also researching applications of maths and explaining the maths behind it. An example is the Monty hall problem. It seems confusing but when broken down it quite good (for year 7/8).

iBibah

HSC
Hexaflexagons. Vi Hart.
This is actually pretty cool.

Also researching applications of maths and explaining the maths behind it. An example is the Monty hall problem. It seems confusing but when broken down it quite good (for year 7/8).

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
We use to have "Maths Challenge Day" at our school where all students gather and test their problem skills, it was a fun day yet very education and the problems were quite difficult.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the ideas guys, it's amazing to think of all the apps of math at Yr 7/8 level that can be looked at, come up with some ideas that'll appeal to different kids:D Thanks guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)