low uai can i still go to UNI.. (1 Viewer)

Litttle Lou Lou

HSC
hey
i was just wonderin i received a low uai in the high 40's anyways can i still be considered for uni even thou my uai is low or not.. cause my friend sed i could get considered for second round offers or late and final round offers after everyone defer's and that.. is that true plz help little confused
thanks in advanced

Lewi

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
it will depend what course you apply for - the cut off is determined by demand. If the cutoff is 99 then you really don't have much hope. but perhaps if you apply for a course with a cutoff of say 60 and not many people want to do it, you could have a chance.
there are always alternative ways into uni :)

Dark Phoenix

HSC
there is a thing called pathways in macquarie univeristy or SIBT. it gives u access to the university if u do not hav the UAI required to get into a course. check out the macquarie website and click 'future student' tab and just click on the links and hopfully it can help u out. pathways or SIBT however does not involve doing a degree. its more like some sort of diploma which u do for a year and if ur results from that year are good then the uni allows u to do a certain course in the uni. thats macquarie anyway. not sure bout others though

Litttle Lou Lou

HSC
thanks heaps guys i applied for a bachelor of information technology at southern cross at coffs with the cut off 65 and the same course at newcastle uni at the port Macquaire campus with a cut off at 70 cause thats where i live anyways i will be happy with what ever happens thanks agen for the help

~lewi~

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Similarly to MQ's SIBT -
UWS has SWIC more info here
UTS has Insearch more here

TAFE also offers diploma coures which on completion can secure you with a transfer into a Bachelors course at Uni. For example - completing an Advanced Diploma of Accounting can be used as a pathway to B Commerce (Accounting) @ Macquarie uni.

This UAC page might also be of interest

Last edited:

thenothing

no member
HSC
I know someone who got 40 that got into SouthernX at Coffs Harbour.

There's always UNE too. They'll take almost anyone.

sx4daboiz

HSC
N/A
Do a related course at TAFE and then transfer after 2 years. 2 years at TAFE= 1 year at uni

bitchy girl

HSC
N/A
my friend's friend got a uai of 29.9 and she got into macq. sci .. she said that they didnt look at her uai? she said they only looked at her english levels .. so if u got in the 40s .. there might still be some hope?

BlackDragon

HSC
yes many courses (e.g. music) consider numerous other factors apart from your uai. you don't always need a high uai to get into a good course.
also though, i think alternative entry schemes are the way to go for you. they can be your back door into a degree.
Student Recommendation Admissions Scheme (SRAS) is the best one really. you don't need a decent UAI at all and you can get into many uni's. I got in the 90's and i used to to get in. but i think that's already closed. but check that up.

But yeah, someone has already posted a link for alternative entry schemes.
if worse comes to worse, you can always get into uni as a mature age student (21+). for such students their uai is not considered.

aussiechica7

HSC
hey,
Open Foundations is really good for University of Newcastle. Look it up on their website.
Also, TAFE is a viable option. Friend of mine did 1st yr accounting at tafe, then 2nd yr accounting at a university.
Remember, there's more than 1 way 2 skin a cat!
If I was you, I would look into whether or not OF is offered at the Port Maquarie campus. I think its like only 6 hours a week, and it will give you a mark to get into any uni course except med. :)

bitchy girl

HSC
N/A
are there any science courses at unis which doesnt look at your uai at all? and also, can we do a tafe course at uni? i heard its possible at macq .. but im unsure of which courses they have there. please help!

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
bitchy girl said:
my friend's friend got a uai of 29.9

I thought they didn't tell you your UAI if it was under 30?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
ari89 said:
I thought they didn't tell you your UAI if it was under 30?
Notice how it's a friend of a friend? What does that tell you about their reliability?

But both you and brogan are right. If you're less than 30, they won't give you specifics ...

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
they probably got told it was <30 and assumed it was 29.999999999
to make them feel better.

Optophobia

HSC
bitchy girl said:
my friend's friend got a uai of 29.9 and she got into macq. sci .. she said that they didnt look at her uai? she said they only looked at her english levels .. so if u got in the 40s .. there might still be some hope?
If it's less than 30 then it isn't reported to the person. They get a big fat asterisk on the piece of paper.

HSC
N/A
I was always under the impression if you got under 30 they don't tell you exactly what you got - but if you contact UAC, you can find out (they don't bother telling you outright because a -30 UAI is pretty much useless for getting into uni [unless of course you did really well in say... Music, bombed in the rest, but are applying for a B. Music)]

powcy

HSC
There are alternate certifications and achievements which can compensate for a low UAI. TAFE diplomas, for instance. There are also such thing as Non-Awards, which allows you to do a subject within a uni course without actually getting into a course. If you do well enough in them they can moderate your UAI as well as demonstrate your competence at uni. They're a bit expensive, but you don't have to do full-time to study them, since there's no the whole credit points crap.
But yes, I have a few disppointed friends, too. I say go to Uni Pathway Days and Info Days and such, or even call up UAC, BOS or Unis to find out more.
Best of luck to your offers, everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)